Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 8:00 AM GMAT Time [#permalink]
Thank you. I guess I need to go to sleep earlier and get up earlier. Isn't there an old saying...early to bed, early to rise...Ben Franklin I think.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72857 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I had my test at 8 or 9 AM and I was not an early bird at that time.
I did usually get up around 8 or so and study for a few hours and then show up to work around 11 AM (worked it out with my boss).

On the test day I had to get up at 7 and be at the test center by 8 to be seated by who knows when.

What I ended up doing was get up 2 days in a row before my test at 7 AM and make sure I kept the schedule. The day before the test I took GMAT Prep at the same time as I would real GMAT.

So, to answer your question - dont' think you need to change your schedule in any major way. If you know it - you will know it at any time as long as you are not too stressed out. It does help to start waking up at the same time as the test a few days before.

On the other hand, If you are not productive in the morning, don't think studying GMAT will make you productive. In case you are affected by morning in some significant way - try taking some tests in the morning and compare your results to those in the afternoon (you can use GMAT Score Estimator/Calculator to draw a common line between them).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
So, to answer your question - dont' think you need to change your schedule in any major way. If you know it - you will know it at any time as long as you are not too stressed out. It does help to start waking up at the same time as the test a few days before.

I agree on this, concentration and stamina are the most important for GMAT and any other test. I remember when I was studying for CFA. I completely changed my daily routine because I am night learner. Took some three weeks of vacation before the exam, going to bed at 4:30 a.m and waking up at noon or even later.

On the CFA test day, you have to show up at 8:00 so I realized that it is the best for me not to sleep the night before at all. So, instead of getting to bed at 4:30-5:00 a.m. as usual, I spent that 2 hours refreshing formulas. The test day went more than well and I started to feel exhausted only 1 or 2 hours after the end of the afternoon session - somewhere between 6 and 7 p.m.

My advice is - don't worry too much about your test time, just be focused and prepared. Even the sleepless night wouldn't prevent you from scoring high.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Wow...a CFA all nighter. I guess I wont worry too much then. It is on a saturday and I have to get up between 7:30 and 8:00 each day for work anyway to beat the California traffic. My brain doesnt usually warm up for work until around 10:00 AM or so. :)

Thank you for the advice!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
CaliCpa wrote:
Wow...a CFA all nighter. I guess I wont worry too much then. It is on a saturday and I have to get up between 7:30 and 8:00 each day for work anyway to beat the California traffic. My brain doesnt usually warm up for work until around 10:00 AM or so. :)

That's the key. I realized that my brain needs some time in the morning and that it runs much better without sleeping at all the night before than with some 5 or 6 hours of low quality sleep.

Of course, we are all different, but I can stay wake all night if I have to and go to work in the morning like every other day. I simply go to bed earlier next evening (usually around 6:30-7:00 p.m.) to make up the lack of sleep from previous night. It is very convenient for early exams and stuff like that, but be cautious if you are not already like that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
CaliCpa wrote:

Drink a coffee without milk. :P That should make your brain warm up pretty fast. (No disrespect meant.)

But give it a try. It works for me. You should make it a habit to get up early at 6am, at least till August.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
CaliCpa wrote:

I don't think this means you're beating the traffic :wink: That is nice to be able to get to work so late.

Anyhow, I woke up at 6 am for the entire month before the test so that I could be extra chipper.
GMAT Club Bot