Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [64]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [19]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT Date: 11-25-2012
GPA: 2.67
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [2]
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Take a look at the Kaplan Math Foundations or Kaplan Verbal Foundations - these are not strategy books but rather the "meat and potatoes" of gmat designed to get your basics fully covered.

For tests - try the GMAT Club tests (Math is 700+ level - I can guarantee you will find them very hard).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks
I'm am planning to begin studying for the GMAT. I would like to start with critical reasoning, as I find it more fun than the other topics. I noticed the PowerScore CR is the most highly recommended, followed by Manhattan as a close second. In looking on Amazon I notice the PowerScore book is dated 2005, and the Manhattan is dated 2009. Is the Manhattan book perhaps preferable due to it being more current? Any tips for a newbie are appreciated also.

Thanks so much!
Ken
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kenboyer wrote:
I'm am planning to begin studying for the GMAT. I would like to start with critical reasoning, as I find it more fun than the other topics. I noticed the PowerScore CR is the most highly recommended, followed by Manhattan as a close second. In looking on Amazon I notice the PowerScore book is dated 2005, and the Manhattan is dated 2009. Is the Manhattan book perhaps preferable due to it being more current? Any tips for a newbie are appreciated also.

Thanks so much!
Ken

Welcome to the GMATClub Ken!

The reason Manhattan GMAT Book was published in 2009 was to catch up with the new version of the Official Guide 12 edition. Manhattan books use questions from the Official Guide rather than offer their own practice. I would not worry too much about the publication date - both books are excellent and you will do well with either. The strategies and approaches have not changed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: International business
Send PM
Bookmarks
Guys,

I am looking Verbal practice work book along with some online tests.

I have MGMAT SC 2003 edt. Is it advisable to get the latest one. I will get 4 practice test. But i belive the SC rules will be the same. So Not sure. Please advise.

I have gone through the Kaplan MAth + Verbal book. Is it advisable to get the Verbal alone for additional workouts.
on the whole i am looking for strong verbal workout book and online exams to calculate my score.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 721 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Haas School of Business
Send PM
tkarthi4u wrote:
Guys,

I have MGMAT SC 2003 edt. Is it advisable to get the latest one. I will get 4 practice test. But i belive the SC rules will be the same. So Not sure. Please advise.

Personally I think the 3rd (for OG11) and 4th (for OG12) editions of Manhattan SC book have a good amount of new content that is quite useful. If you are in the US I would recommend taking a look at it at Borders or Barnes and Noble before buying.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tkarthi4u wrote:
Guys,

I am not sure how the 1st/2nd edition compares to the 3rd/4th. I know that 3rd and 4th are the same in terms of theory and the only difference are the question references.

If you get the 4th edition, you will need OG 12 to do exercises or OG 11 if you buy the 3rd edition. However, buying any of those editions you will get access to 6 tests. You will most likely gain nothing in terms of grammar. Another option is the PowerScore SC but most argue that it won't add any points either for SC. However, you will get some practice questions - not many but some.

My recommendation would be to get PowerScore SC and then Manhattan CR or Manhattan RC so that you get the 6 practice tests.

Quote:
I have gone through the Kaplan MAth + Verbal book. Is it advisable to get the Verbal alone for additional workouts.

Yes. Verbal workbook has a a couple of the practice sets at the end of the book overlap with the exercises on the CD/DVD/Online, but those are only "additional" questions, so you are still getting quite a few questions and great tips - both Math and Verbal Workbook are worth their $15 value in terms of info they provide. However, if you have done Manhattan SC, you probably won't gain much and will cover the SC section in a few days.
Quote:
on the whole i am looking for strong verbal workout book and online exams to calculate my score.

Just get Manhattan RC and Manhattan CR - that's the best combination based on the feedback by many.

Have you covered OG 12 completely? If yes, then go the PowerScore route - you can get a PowerScore Verbal Bible - good all-in-one workbook
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: International business
Send PM
Thank you.

As said above i will try Manhattan CR, RC and Power SC.

But i have gone through OG 11. How different is OG 12 from OG11. Do you advise me go through it before my exams.
Is it completely different with new set of questions.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tkarthi4u wrote:
Thank you.

As said above i will try Manhattan CR, RC and Power SC.

But i have gone through OG 11. How different is OG 12 from OG11. Do you advise me go through it before my exams.
Is it completely different with new set of questions.

30% of questions in OG12 are new.
See this discussion - it answers that specific question: the-official-guide-for-gmat-12-merged-76806.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos