Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [7]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Media, Tech, Entrep.
Schools:INSEAD R1 D'11
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 797 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-22-2013
GPA: 3.57
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: 770 (Q50,V45) [#permalink]
WOW! Amazing score and good debreif
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 757 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V39
Send PM
Hi Monkeypunch, thats awesome !!!! Congratulations...

I just have once clarification about one of your points - "I took my first GMATPrep in Sept 08 as a diagnostic 720 "....
I though GMAT Prep has only 2 tests, where did this diagnostic test come from???

Or did you mean you to say that you actually took GMAT PREP 1 to diagonize where you stood and received 720..?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sdrandom1 wrote:
I just have once clarification about one of your points - "I took my first GMATPrep in Sept 08 as a diagnostic 720 "....
I though GMAT Prep has only 2 tests, where did this diagnostic test come from???

Or did you mean you to say that you actually took GMAT PREP 1 to diagonize where you stood and received 720..?

Yes, I meant that - should have been more clear. It was the GMATPrep 1. I simply meant that I did it to see where I stood before doing a lot of review. A lot of people seem to suggest 'saving' the GMATPrep in order to see where they stand just before the real test. While I think that's useful I believe it's much better to know where you stand at the very beginning so you know what to study. The diagnostic test in the OG didn't really help me much with that.

topher wrote:
Very nice first post. You got a very good score without much effort. Congratulations. :o

Thanks. Some people on these forums spend a lot more time and effort preparing and their efforts amaze me. I would have a hard time not getting burnt out. Booking the test and having a deadline helped focus me in the end. I must have studied 15-20 hours a week for the last 3 weeks or so, more in the final week, but I wouldn't be able to maintain that for much longer.

More study stuff

I forgot to mention that I got decent mileage out of some of the articles below, especially the "How To Do Practice Problems" at the top. I got a dry-erase board and timed myself for all practice problems. (I did take more CATs than the author recommends and thought it was useful for me - it's a good way to get access to harder problems.)
https://www.gmathacks.com/main/category-contents.html

The MGMAT resources are also very good:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/freegmatlearningforum.cfm

I did a lot of googling of GMATPrep problems that I missed/flagged in order to get answer explanations. I reviewed every GMATPrep problem that I got wrong and about half of the MGMAT CAT Math problems. Reviewing can sometimes take more time than the test itself.

And finally, it's may seem silly, but if you have a tendency to stress out a bit get a massage the day before! I honestly think it helped a lot.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Great job buddy!!

But you didn't mention your future plans. Where do you wanna go now?? What are your intentions and how would you proceed with your applicaiton process?

Kindly keep us updated as well on your next line of action.

Well done again!! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 928 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Super score monkeypunch!!!!
+1 for the debrief.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
What a terrific score....
Really Impressive....
BTW...How many RCs did you get in the real GMAT...and what was their difficulty level
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Hey chill,

I was away for R&R a week so now my reply is late and my memory is a bit shot, but the RCs do stick out more than the others.

I don't remember the exact number of RCs I got. There must have been at least 3 or 4 passages. One of seemed long (2 pages scrolled) with a lot of questions (7-8??) Another passage was medium length but had quite tricky questions and must have been when my concentration was a bit broken. The others I don't remember

I felt like I spent a lot of time on the tricky one and ended up picking at least one answer without being 100% sure. Also, there were 1-2 really pesky RC questions like this:

The following ISN'T true of [something that happened.] A) B) C) D) E)

So I had to read the whole thing and check every single option, which was a huge waste of time. I had at least one, perhaps two of those and I bet they're about the toughest RCs to do on time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hussain15 wrote:
Where do you wanna go now?? What are your intentions and how would you proceed with your applicaiton process?

Hey Hussain15, pardon my late reply!

I kept telling myself and others that I'd just take the GMAT and see what happens so I wouldn't stress about the rest of the process. Well now there's no more excuses, heh! Time to start thinking about essays and recommendations and all that, which get me a lot more stressed, quite frankly!

My school choices are basically "top European 1 year program with brand and value" to study entrepreneurship among other things, my current school choices are narrowed down to:
IMD, IE, INSEAD, Oxford, Cambridge

INSEAD is my top choice at this point, but I haven't visited any schools yet and I've put all my eggs in one basket unsuccessfully before so I'm trying to hedge at least a little bit :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Congratulations.

I really liked your debrief, especially the pinch of humor u added. Couldn't agree more with you on few of your suggestions, - book the exam; study what YOU need.

I waited for 1.5 years to get sufficiently prepared, but finally started my "real" preps only 1 month before my exam date. So I would +1 to your advice for all those who are waiting like me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 757 [0]
 Q50  V39
Send PM
Hi Monkeypunch,

You mentioned in your debrief- "After doing my second GMATPrep about 3 weeks before the exam I noticed that my timekeeping in the math section was awful."

I am in the exact same boat as you were. Any insights into how you improved your time keeping in Math section will be very very useful for me...

Also I noticed that in GMAT PREP1 your verbal was 41. You improved drasrtically from there to Verbal 49 later in your GMAT PREP 2. How did you do that??

Awaiting eagerly for a reply from you....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sdrandom1 wrote:
You mentioned in your debrief- "After doing my second GMATPrep about 3 weeks before the exam I noticed that my timekeeping in the math section was awful."

I am in the exact same boat as you were. Any insights into how you improved your time keeping in Math section will be very very useful for me...

Also I noticed that in GMAT PREP1 your verbal was 41. You improved drasrtically from there to Verbal 49 later in your GMAT PREP 2. How did you do that??

To improve math timing I did two things in parallel. One was to refresh fundamentals that I used to know but didn't remember (like geometry formulas, basic probability, comb/perm.) That helped me avoid some trial-and-error time wasting to find formulas etc. I also took computerized practice tests with a keen focus on timing (I did MGMAT which give good per-question time stats so you can review your screwups, though other tests might do the same.) I had to train myself to 'just let go' when I was too slow on a problem, and I did get better over time. I still didn't perfect this though, just got good enough to scrape by - I still had to rush at the end of every practice test and a little at the end of the real test.

One thing that I was going to try but never got around to was this: On the MGMAT online tests you can set a per-question time limit. I was going to put 3 minutes or even less to force myself to finish questions on time. I bet that sort of thing would definitely get your body's internal timer on target, though in the end I never got around to it.

The verbal was mostly a matter of practice. The 49 is a bit of an outlier because the GMATPrep repeats a lot of verbal questions the second time around, so I probably wasn't quite that good. The improvement was a combination of SC practice and general test familiarity. A lot of my original errors were in SC, so I did most of the MGMAT SC book, timing myself for all the practice problems. I learned some fundamental things for SC that I now notice in everyday life, such as parallelism. I learned nothing new at all for RC/CR, I just got a little more comfortable with how the test asks those questions. I also think being familiar with the test in general helped me do a little better and make less careless mistakes in RC and CR.

I read another debrief by someone who took the GMAT officially 3 times and had a drastic improvement the last time to over 700 by doing tons of practice tests before the exam. He said something like he always ran out of time but had minutes to spare in the real test after preparing with tons of CATs. If you know the fundamentals and need to improve things like timing I strongly recommend this approach.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Concentration: Consultancy, marketing
Schools:going to Melbourne Business School
Send PM
great post, a few new things to add in my prep.
thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hey
want to know, what should be the accuracy for gettig V40, imean how much shold one make correct in CR,SC,RC to get V40
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Send PM
hey man nice post, congrats !!t !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
good job!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Consulting
Schools:Kellogs, Darden, Stern, Tepper
Send PM
Congrats!....all the best for your apps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
panacea6565 wrote:
hey
want to know, what should be the accuracy for gettig V40, imean how much shold one make correct in CR,SC,RC to get V40

As I'm sure you know, there isn't a specific number for reaching V40, but it's probably around 6-8 errors.

In my experience, V45 is around 3-5 errors, depending on experimental questions and difficulty level of wrong answer choices.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts