Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: how important are extracurricular activities? [#permalink]
so is it better to start now and look disingenuous or not start at all? I guess I could say I was doing full time job with part time school for the past 3-4 years and didnt have the time?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Better late than never.Just get involved in something you like.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
yeah, start off on soemthing which interest you and if possible related to your field so that you can give them soem valid reasons and build up a good essay's
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
I think ECs are just another part of the entire package.

My ECs were absolutely crap. I was involved in a couple things, on and off, nothing really spectacular, but I still did OK.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:

My ECs were absolutely crap. I was involved in a couple things, on and off, nothing really spectacular, but I still did OK.

RF

if i were to donate to Habitat for humanities, would that count as xtracurricular activity? It seems the one near here is only accepting donations (not labor) at this time...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I don't think adcoms will view writing a check as being involved in an EC. Generally they're looking for being actively involved in the organization's activities, preferably in some sort of leadership role. I wouldn't focus too much on the brand of the EC, I'm sure if Habitat isn't accepting labor right now, there are plenty of other local organizations that would welcome your help.
Current Student
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
I don't think adcoms will view writing a check as being involved in an EC. Generally they're looking for being actively involved in the organization's activities, preferably in some sort of leadership role. I wouldn't focus too much on the brand of the EC, I'm sure if Habitat isn't accepting labor right now, there are plenty of other local organizations that would welcome your help.

How does big brother big sister sound? I applied to that and a couple of other mentoring places - do they count for the "leadership" roles adcom are looking for? I always liked kids and had job tutoring them before too so it is not all just for the application...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
One thing that I never really understood about ECs is that Adcoms "allegedly" put so much weight in them yet the people that attend bschool the most are ones that don't really have time to commit to something substantially (banking, consulting). I am in consulting, so my job requires a lot of travel, so I can't commit to substantial ECs because my schedule is so unpredictable. For example, I joined this board on my Alumni Association, but then the meeting schedule was set in such a way that I missed 70% of meetings due to being out of town.

I really do wish I could do more just for the sake of it
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
It shows a side to your character, interests and involvement. I agree that financially contributing will not impress (that is simply to appease your own conscience), but getting involved in something simply to say you are involved is equally awful for my mind.

I think I told put on all applications about the work I did as a war grave cleaner around Dortmund one summer. It was a long time ago, but it was such a weird and crazy thing I couldn't resist throwing it in.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
How does big brother big sister sound? I applied to that and a couple of other mentoring places - do they count for the "leadership" roles adcom are looking for? I always liked kids and had job tutoring them before too so it is not all just for the application...

There are many more places than the big names, and many of the smaller ones may need more help and offer more opportunities to contribute. Here is a website that can help you find potential opportunities by area of interest, type of service, and geographic locaiton:

https://www.volunteermatch.org/
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
refurb wrote:

RF

if i were to donate to Habitat for humanities, would that count as xtracurricular activity? It seems the one near here is only accepting donations (not labor) at this time...

Donating? No. Even if you were to start volunteering, I think the adcoms would see right through that.

Remember, ECs don't have to just be about volunteer work, they can be about anything. You play any sports? Do have a non-traditional academic interest that you've spent a lot of time pursuing? An engineer who had a interest in art and has visited the big museums while traveling would make for an interesting story.

It has less to do about checking a box and saying "yes I've done some ECs" and more about showcasing who you are outside of your 9 to 5 job.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
One thing that I never really understood about ECs is that Adcoms "allegedly" put so much weight in them yet the people that attend bschool the most are ones that don't really have time to commit to something substantially (banking, consulting). I am in consulting, so my job requires a lot of travel, so I can't commit to substantial ECs because my schedule is so unpredictable. For example, I joined this board on my Alumni Association, but then the meeting schedule was set in such a way that I missed 70% of meetings due to being out of town.

I really do wish I could do more just for the sake of it

I was in a similar boat - I traveled nearly every week/two weekends of the month.

I think like refurb said, the adcom just want to know that you have a life outside work and have other interests/hobbies. If you don't have any leadership in them, that's fine - you can't get yourself a fancy title w/ responsibilities overnight! Just focus instead on what you did do, and how you grew from your experience.

In my case, I didn't have any "big" ECs or really, any leadership in any of them. I just had a few small things I'd done for fun along the way, and figured I'd mention them. I talked about one organization I had been involved with - where I first participated in a fundraising activity, then helped organize it (mostly through online work) the next year. I also had a slightly unique situation involving failure and ECs, so I worked that in to the essays as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
get started asap. Like others have said , better late than never. Also, EC's do not just mean volunteering. Do you play any sports? Have any interesting hobbies that you are committed to?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
shaselai wrote:

i'm a big brother of ~5 years now and have had a pretty awesome experience with the program. my one regret (if any) would be that because BBBS is so well known, it could detract from the uniqueness of your extracurriculars (as there are probably many other applicants who are bigs). i still strongly recommend becoming a big...however look for additional ways you can engage the organization (e.g. organizing recruiting/fundraiser events, joining the board, etc.) to differentiate yourself from the pack.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I think EC's are important no matter the applicant, but the magnitude of said EC's depends on your job. If you are a banker, it is probably difficult for you to dedicate a few nights a week to getting heavily involved in some non-profit. However, if you put in 40-50 hours a week, there should be something outside of work that is of strong interest to you and occupies a lot of your free time.

EC's are also important for your essays. When you are describing your experiences, your goals, and your reasons for getting an MBA, it should stem from your EC's as well. Schools want to know that you have a life outside of work (as much as possible) because they want someone who will contribute in other capacities besides academics.

EC's differentiate applicants. Since you started college, most b-school applicants strive for a good GPA, a good job, and now a good GMAT score. As difficult as this is to achieve, there are scores of people applying to top schools. So the top schools need to look at something else that separetes those who go for just the trifecata and those who strive for a little bit more--despite how busy they are with the other three elements.

Whoever said it is not too late to get started with EC's is absolutely right. The most important advice on getting invovled in an EC now is make sure it is something you believe in. Of course, it is easy to write about something that you have been doing for awhile, but if you are not enthusiastic about it that will come through in your essays. So, if you are applying now without any EC's, it is time to get involved. Inventory your interests, gauge your time commitment, and choose accordingly. It will make a difference in your app.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
shaselai wrote:
so is it better to start now and look disingenuous or not start at all? I guess I could say I was doing full time job with part time school for the past 3-4 years and didnt have the time?

No, I would advise against claiming a "time" issue. The fundamental issue is that there are plenty of other applicants in similar situations with respect to time constraints -- and yet they often have perfectly good activities. Moreover, schools want people who will be active members of their own communities not just "going through the motions".

Much better to start now than to just "cop a plea"
GMAT Club Bot