Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia Business School, NYU
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink]
Great! Thanks guys. Mine is going to show many aspects that are importatnt to bschool: leadership skills, team building, but most important of all, FUN! I don't really want to give it away right now, but I personally think it'll come out well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:NYU STERN
Send PM
Kudos
I personally used photos in Essay 3 but really told my story. You need to make it personal - just throwing down a bunch of photos wont do it but I am sure you have a great idea in mind! To be honest, I used to work for a very well known craft GURU if you catch my drift (she has many a book, magazine and relevant products) - For me the photo idea worked well because I had helped launch a kodak line for her and took a very "crafty" approach - but it clearly tied in with who I am. I know some others that build websites about themselves etc. I couldn't bare to write another essay so I definitely used minimal words!

For essay #3, listen to Stern's idea podcast - applicants have gone as far as making stuffed animals talk to get their point across!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Does anyone have a copy of Stern's last year's recommendation form?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:
Does anyone have a copy of Stern's last year's recommendation form?

I found it in last year's thread.
https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/emplibrary/Fall ... nce%20only)%5B1%5D.pdf
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Stern
 Q45  V41
Send PM
will be applying R1 from NYC. Ughhh aside from the essays I have to consider studying for and retaking the GMAT.. 75th percentile quant and 2.95 UG GPA from a real non-target are going to be serious obstacles to overcome.

on the flipside, my grandmother's dead husband went to stern, so i'm... sort of a legacy? heh.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
Not sure you should be overly worried about any component of a 710 GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
 Q45  V41
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Not sure you should be overly worried about any component of a 710 GMAT score.

Well, 75th percentile is hardly good. Coupled with the quantitative focus at the programs I'm applying to along with my poor undergraduate GPA, I feel like it would make sense to retake. Unfortunately I'm just not prepared to invest the time right now, I'd rather spend it on making my essays really good.

But maybe you DO think that a 710 is inferior and you're just trying to get me to apply with a low score so as to eliminate me from the running... very :twisted: of you :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
I just graduated from Stern. I know of a lot of people who appeared as though they had a much lower Quant ability than to get a 710, but then I am more Quant aligned (and had a lower GMAT).

Depends on whether your undergrad was in engineering or math or something - if so, I think a low Q would worry people. But there are remedial math classes and elements to bring people up to speed where necessary.

I think you are right not to worry about it for now - maybe do a little work on your math in the interim in case you want to retake, then you can run at it quickly. The Verbal side seems like you should be able to have that in the bag at short notice.
Intern
Intern
 Q45  V41
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
I just graduated from Stern. I know of a lot of people who appeared as though they had a much lower Quant ability than to get a 710, but then I am more Quant aligned (and had a lower GMAT).

Depends on whether your undergrad was in engineering or math or something - if so, I think a low Q would worry people. But there are remedial math classes and elements to bring people up to speed where necessary.

I think you are right not to worry about it for now - maybe do a little work on your math in the interim in case you want to retake, then you can run at it quickly. The Verbal side seems like you should be able to have that in the bag at short notice.

I think I'm going to take Calc 1 @ Hunter. Hopefully getting an A in that will show both my capacity to be successful academically and my ability to work well with quantitative material.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Kudos
There ARE people with lower GMAT Math scaled scores in this year's new class, just as there are also people who scored less than a 4.0 on their GMAT AWA.

My own GMAT math scaled score is now well below the 80th percentile (I was also a liberal arts major) and while I opted to take the math prep offered to the incoming class, I've had had no indication thus far that my preparedness to deal with MBA quant is somehow considered "inferior."

You're worrying over something quite inconsequential in the grander scheme of things.

MMtrader wrote:
I think I'm going to take Calc 1 @ Hunter. Hopefully getting an A in that will show both my capacity to be successful academically and my ability to work well with quantitative material.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Kudos
solaris1 wrote:
There ARE people with lower GMAT Math scaled scores in this year's new class, just as there are also people who scored less than a 4.0 on their GMAT AWA.

You're worrying over something quite inconsequential in the grander scheme of things.

I'm not taking the calc1 class to compensate for a bad quant score on the GMAT. I'm taking it to compensate for a 2.95 UG GPA :P It'll be good ammo for the 4th essay.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
The preliminary class profile for the new incoming class is up. GMAT/GPA are up slightly, selectivity is around the same as last year.

https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/fulltime/exceptionalstudents.cfm?doc_id=395
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
That is some pop in the GMAT. Less women as well. I knew your class would suck...
VP
VP
Kudos
Pop quiz: Frame a sentence with the words "quality" and "quantity" both in it.

3underscore wrote:
Less women as well. I knew your class would suck...
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
It is not about quantity when they are all poor quality?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
You two are some kind rivalry. Those number are insanely high, Solaris, compared to what books says on any previous year. This is interesting.
VP
VP
Kudos
Ha, no rivalries billyjeans. I'm just messing around with 3underscore who's rather jealous of our new, quite fabulous MBA1 class.

What numbers are insanely high, specifically? The average GMAT for last year's incoming class was 708 and the corresponding average GPA was 3.4. These numbers this year are 717 and 3.5, respectively. Just a bit higher.

And yes, as 3underscore pointed out - the incoming class as it stands right now is younger and less diverse than it was last year.

I am also willing to bet that there will be a bunch of other schools whose selectivity will stay unchanged in comparison to the 2008 admissions year. So much for this being a hyper-competitive year to get in to business school! IHateTheGMAT and I totally predicted this. :wink:

billyjeans wrote:
You two are some kind rivalry. Those number are insanely high, Solaris, compared to what books says on any previous year. This is interesting.

Back to cramming for my stats midterm. :(
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  54