Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [11]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [8]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V46
Send PM
Re: Usefulness of LSAT books? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is a great and timely topic.

I think the idea of using LSAT prep to supplement GMAT prep is kind of like a Venn Diagram problem. There are items that are:

1. Unique to GMAT (Sentence Correction)
2. Shared by both (Logical Reasoning = Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension)
3. Logic Games and formal logic problems in the Logical Reasoning section which are not that relevant to GMAT students. But, if you have a nack for Logic Games, I see them as useful mental exercises to stretch the mind before a study session.

Reading Comprehension is pretty much 100% the same as for LSAT as for GMAT.
The logical reasoning ones are a little tricky because there are formal logic problems, unnecessarily hard for GMAT students, mixed in with the other logic problems, which will be more familiar with GMAT students. (Was that last sentence constructed correctly?)

That having been said, the Powerscore Bibles are all solid materials. BTW, if you look hard enough online, you can find paper versions of every LSAT ever administered.

Also, as someone who has taken the LSATs in the past, I can definitely say it has been a big help. I've been able to largely ignore a) studying for the verbal section and b) spending money on verbal study materials. The one area I've had to supplement is in sentence corrections. But this has allowed me to focus on Quantitative, which is my weaker area.

I'd be interested to know if any other former LSAT students have had similar experiences as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [0]
 Q49  V39
Thanks everyone for the comments. I will use the LSAT Powerscore RC book. I'm not going to read everything, but I will try all the exercises and read the answers. I've read a little bit of this book and so far:

1. Yes, they assume you can mark up the test since LSAT is paper/pencil. It looks like they even devote a whole chapter to how you should mark up each RC passage.
2. Many of the RC passages deal with law-related material, whereas GMAT doesn't have any of that. LSAT passages use law, science, social/humanities topics, and economics topics. So most of the passages are relevant except for the law-specific ones.
3. The main advantage I see in using this book vs. 1000RC is there are answer explanations and you know that the answers in the book are correct. I will supplement with 1000RC/GmatClub explanations as well.

I won't be getting the MGMAT RC or Powerscore RC (for GMAT) as my RC is already ok and now I have this book. I may use the Logical Reasoning Bible sparingly since I've already finished the Powerscore CR Bible (for GMAT).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V46
Send PM
Kudos
Topher,

I'd recommend doing the law/humanities/social science problems as well, even if they seem unrelated to the GMATs. Even if they are topically different, it really is about the mental exercise. The more you do, the better you'll get elsewhere.

And besides, you don't think you'll encounter items related to law, humanities, social sciences in business school?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [0]
 Q49  V39
optiquezt wrote:
Topher,

I'd recommend doing the law/humanities/social science problems as well, even if they seem unrelated to the GMATs. Even if they are topically different, it really is about the mental exercise. The more you do, the better you'll get elsewhere.

And besides, you don't think you'll encounter items related to law, humanities, social sciences in business school?

Yeah I plan on doing all passages in there. The thing I like about these questions so far is the answers are CLEAR. They use real past LSAT questions and it's not like MGMAT CATs where 2 answer choices look ridiculously similar. From what I gather, the real GMAT is also similar to the LSAT in this respect (clear answers).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Are LSAT RC passages/questions similar to GMAT?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Bookmarks
I can vouch for the LSAT CR bible - there's a wealth of information about how to tackle CR problems in that book. Frankly, if you can read the first 5-6 or so chapters, understand and implement every technique in those chapters - you'll hit a jackpot in GMAT CR. Not to belittle other books but the CR bible is a joy to read as well.

No clue about the RC book - I need to take a look at that sometime.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
seems like overkill, but honestly if you are shooting for 760+ then yeah its worth it.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
I'm considering Powerscore RC, but it might interfere with my quant and SC studies. If I choose to go for it, I'll write a brief review later.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM