Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [817]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [4]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [3]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan: go from 650 to 700+ [#permalink]
Kudos
pleonasm wrote:
Nice post bb .. I'm actually thinking about retaking the GMAT and the approach lined up is quite helpful.

Yup, me too. I'm retaking it end of August or early Sept. I can't believe I messed up Quant...come on, I'm Indian! Math is supposed to be my strong suit, not verbal!!!! :oops:
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Its a good one though I hadn't attempted the test yet!!

Thanks for the valuable post !! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
Thanks for this bb. This fits in with my goal. :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [14]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Some tips and pointers:

Quant:
. After you solve a problem but get it wrong, don't look at the solution. Try solving it again until you get it right.
. Make a note of problems that took longer than expected to solve and look at the solution to see if there's a faster way.

CR:
. Read EVERY SINGLE WORD! I tend to fast read and skip words to get the context. It's great while reading a magazine or book and even with RC, but terrible with CR; completely the wrong way. Most of my wrong choices with CR were because I was not reading every single word.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [6]
Given Kudos: 60
GMAT 2: 680  Q48  V35 GMAT 3: 710  Q47  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I also would like to suggest detailed study plan:

Monthly Study Plan
4 weeks of hard work, 1 week of rest & relaxation

Weekly Study Plan
10 hours/week
Quantitative - 2 sessions for 2 hours each
SC - 1 session (2 hours)
CR - 1 session (2 hours)
RC - 1 session (2 hours)

Duration of preparation - 3-4 months.

Originally posted by DenisSh on 09 Jul 2009, 22:21.
Last edited by DenisSh on 12 Jul 2009, 23:49, edited 2 times in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DenisSh wrote:
I also would like to suggest detailed study plan:

Monthly Study Plan
4 weeks of hard work, 1 week of rest & relaxation

Weekly Study Plan
10 hours/week
Quantitative - 2 session for 2 hours each
SC - 1 session (2 hours)
CR - 1 session (2 hours)
RC - 1 session (2 hours)

Duration of preparation - 3-4 months.

Thanks! This is somewhat "unorthodox" - I like it :)
Have you taken the GMAT yet to share how the strategy works and what improvement you achieved?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
GMAT 2: 680  Q48  V35 GMAT 3: 710  Q47  V41
Send PM
bb wrote:
Have you taken the GMAT yet to share how the strategy works and what improvement you achieved?

Thank you! :) Why do you think my approach is "unorthodox"?
In fact, I'm going to retake the GMAT in nearest 3-4 months, so I hope to provide such information afterwards.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
DenisSh wrote:
bb wrote:

Thank you! :) Why do you think my approach is "unorthodox"?
In fact, I'm going to retake the GMAT in nearest 3-4 months, so I hope to provide such information afterwards.

I like the idea of taking a break for a week. Most study through every weekend and every available hour as they hurry to be done with the GMAT. Definitely curious how it goes - please keep us updated on your progress!

Also, I just posted this thread on starting GMAT Prep from scratch - may be helpful: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Actually I like the idea of taking breaks as well. I prefer not to study on the weekends - but this means that your weekdays are screwed completely - and I'm ok with that. Taking off to a beach or somewhere nice on the weekends really helps to relax and for the 'learning to settle down'.

I heard someone say that the a few Chinese have adopted a specific way of learning, especially in ping pong. The player will practice one and only one stroke for almost 10 hours and then get a good sleep. So, the learned behavior kind of settles down during the night and practicing one stroke for 10 hours will definitely hone in perfection. I'm wondering if something like that can be tried for GMAT - I mean imagine a day full of reading comprehension, jeez there won't be any need for additional sleep :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Send PM
pleonasm wrote:
Actually I like the idea of taking breaks as well. I prefer not to study on the weekends - but this means that your weekdays are screwed completely - and I'm ok with that. Taking off to a beach or somewhere nice on the weekends really helps to relax and for the 'learning to settle down'.

I heard someone say that the a few Chinese have adopted a specific way of learning, especially in ping pong. The player will practice one and only one stroke for almost 10 hours and then get a good sleep. So, the learned behavior kind of settles down during the night and practicing one stroke for 10 hours will definitely hone in perfection. I'm wondering if something like that can be tried for GMAT - I mean imagine a day full of reading comprehension, jeez there won't be any need for additional sleep :)

Ha ha, let me see if that works for me...I'm in between jobs so I have a month for GMAT, kayaking, sailing and biking!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Kudos
w103psp wrote:
pleonasm wrote:

Ha ha, let me see if that works for me...I'm in between jobs so I have a month for GMAT, kayaking, sailing and biking!

Sailing huh .. why the devil would you want to go to b-school if u're already in the sailing club .. :-P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Send PM
pleonasm wrote:
w103psp wrote:
pleonasm wrote:

Sailing huh .. why the devil would you want to go to b-school if u're already in the sailing club .. :-P

You wouldn't believe it, but it's only $240 for a full year in Boston to sail, kayak and windsurf, and this includes lessons!
https://www.community-boating.org/index.php
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Excellent article and definitely helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Schools:INSEAD (Attending Aug 2010), Oxford (Admitted), Cambridge (Admitted)
 Q46  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for this tip, BB!

My problem is more with Quant than Verbal - I was never a math person and often the issue is with setting the problem correctly & quickly now that I have memorised the basic formula, etc. I also find that it takes me so long to do simple calculations since I've been using calculators since high school and excel now crippled me....is it just a matter of doing a huge number of questions - i.e. practice, practice, practice - or is there another way? Would really appreciate any help on setting up prob & cal very quickly. Timing's always an issue for me on Q! Thanks! :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Salisaaa wrote:
Thanks for this tip, BB!

My problem is more with Quant than Verbal - I was never a math person and often the issue is with setting the problem correctly & quickly now that I have memorised the basic formula, etc. I also find that it takes me so long to do simple calculations since I've been using calculators since high school and excel now crippled me....is it just a matter of doing a huge number of questions - i.e. practice, practice, practice - or is there another way? Would really appreciate any help on setting up prob & cal very quickly. Timing's always an issue for me on Q! Thanks! :)

You are a bit of a minority on GMAT Club - most are good at quant. Take a look at this post for starters:
new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html

and then this one:
Take a peek at this one: timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Schools:INSEAD (Attending Aug 2010), Oxford (Admitted), Cambridge (Admitted)
 Q46  V41
Send PM
Thanks bb for the super fast response. I do feel like I'm in the minority being worse at Q than V! Arts undergrad prob explains it. Will work on it based on your tips!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [4]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Kudos
Nice post bb.

I also though of adding a small tip, which can be helpful for verbal section.

My advice is to read Editorials published daily in some reputed English newspaper. Some of them are even available online. In India the news paper "Times of India" publish some good editorials daily, available online as well at https://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/. There must be similar editorials available in other countries.

Benefits:
1. Cheapest, but still one of the best means on earth to improve Reading skills, to increase speed, and to make one's ears accustomed to sentence structures and English styles.
2. Editorials are generally not very lengthy, and structure is similar to the GMAT comprehensions.
3. Well built complex sentence structures and paragraphs by some of the writers.
4. With online version, one can practice reading paragraphs on computer screens :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8