Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Joint JD/MBA
Schools:Columbia University
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: JD/MBA - Is a 690 Good Enough for Columbia? [#permalink]
Kudos
One other thing to note:

You're a non-traditional student. (Most) Schools value having a decent population of non-traditional students to supplement the interaction among the students.

Non-traditional students GMAT scores tend to vary more.

Have you posted in the ask an admissions consultant section?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for all the great advice! I figured things might be a little bit screwy with the Kaplan book. I noticed quite a few mistakes in the review sections, and I remember now that the Kaplan LSAT book I looked at briefly at a bookstore had almost no relation to the actual test. I guess I'll chuck it aside in favor of GMAC materials. I'll also take the online diagnostic later this afternoon, it looks very helpful.

I have not posted in the "ask an admission consultant" forum as I didn't know such a thing even existed! I sort of stumbled upon this great board and wrote my post just hoping to get some advice. It's heartening to hear that b-schools sometimes reserve slots for non-traditional students. Hopefully I can grab one of Columbia's seats.

Are there any books that anyone found especially helpful for review? For example, I know that nearly everyone looking to get a top score on the LSAT uses a book called the Logic Games Bible. Are there any guides that are ubiquitous in the world of top GMAT scorers?
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
The books you *need* to use will depend on what subjects you need to address.

Take the free Manhattan GMAT test. The MGMAT group provides a very detailed result of practice exams and this will help you create a "game plan" to address your weaknesses.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/free-gmat.cfm

Once you know where you need to focus, you can read the debrief (Share your GMAT experience) threads to see what has worked for others.

You will probably find some useful info on the 700+ thread as there are a number of debriefs there.
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636.html
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NYER wrote:
Thanks for all the great advice! I figured things might be a little bit screwy with the Kaplan book. I noticed quite a few mistakes in the review sections, and I remember now that the Kaplan LSAT book I looked at briefly at a bookstore had almost no relation to the actual test. I guess I'll chuck it aside in favor of GMAC materials. I'll also take the online diagnostic later this afternoon, it looks very helpful.

I have not posted in the "ask an admission consultant" forum as I didn't know such a thing even existed! I sort of stumbled upon this great board and wrote my post just hoping to get some advice. It's heartening to hear that b-schools sometimes reserve slots for non-traditional students. Hopefully I can grab one of Columbia's seats.

Are there any books that anyone found especially helpful for review? For example, I know that nearly everyone looking to get a top score on the LSAT uses a book called the Logic Games Bible. Are there any guides that are ubiquitous in the world of top GMAT scorers?

Here is the forum that was suggested: Profile Review

For GMAT books, you can start here: top-gmat-prep-books-guides-reviews-comments-77703.html

And also here is what most of GMAT Club members end up getting on a monthly basis: top-20-best-gmat-books-on-gmat-club-76582.html

Here is how to create a study plan from scratch (again dependent on your GMATprep results) - gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

Finally since most of your effort will be put into Quant - this thread may be helpful: my-quant-wakeup-story-journey-to-q50-gmat-80842.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to thank you again for your help! I went to Barnes & Noble today and picked up the Official Guide to the GMAT as well as the Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review. So far I have completed about half of the questions in the quant book and I'm finding that I am doing much better than I did with the Kaplan one. I think it helps that the questions don't have errors in them. The verbal section has been going near perfectly every time, so I don't think I need to review as much for that. I'm going to keep working on my math for a couple weeks and hopefully I'll be able to knock this thing out. Good luck to all of you!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
NYER wrote:
Hi all,

I just wanted to thank you again for your help! I went to Barnes & Noble today and picked up the Official Guide to the GMAT as well as the Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review. So far I have completed about half of the questions in the quant book and I'm finding that I am doing much better than I did with the Kaplan one. I think it helps that the questions don't have errors in them. The verbal section has been going near perfectly every time, so I don't think I need to review as much for that. I'm going to keep working on my math for a couple weeks and hopefully I'll be able to knock this thing out. Good luck to all of you!

Quick pointer - the problems in the OG are arranged in the order of increasing difficulty, so the earlier questions will be the easier ones. Kaplan questions are indeed harder, and I understand frustration you may have with their books and possible errors. Don't put me as a defender of theirs, but I think the other 99% of their materials are pretty good -I got 750 using only Kaplan though that was a while ago :oops:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all! I just wanted to write with an update as I incorporated the advice in this thread into my study plan and it was very beneficial. I used official GMAC materials to study for a while and I just finished a practice exam with a score of 720! This is a 30 point boost over my performance on the Kaplan paper GMAT, and I'm very pleased with my improvement.

That said, I was wondering if anyone could offer insight into how an admissions committee might view a split score. I missed 15 questions in the quantitative section, resulting in a 44 overall quant score, and I only missed 4 in the verbal section, which gave me a 45. Do I need to keep working on my quantitative skills to become more competitive, or is the overall score of 720 plus the fact that I'm already in the law school enough of a boost that I shouldn't worry too much? I'm willing to put in whatever work is necessary to do this right! Thank you again for all your help.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would schedule your GMAT in a 2-4 weeks and during that time push math to get a 46, 47, or 48 on math, basically to get over the 80th percentile. You should be able to get there in that time frame.

I think yes to be on the safe side.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
bb wrote:
Quick pointer - the problems in the OG are arranged in the order of increasing difficulty, so the earlier questions will be the easier ones. Kaplan questions are indeed harder, and I understand frustration you may have with their books and possible errors. Don't put me as a defender of theirs, but I think the other 99% of their materials are pretty good -I got 750 using only Kaplan though that was a while ago :oops:

Just to be contrary, I'll chip in and say that I find Kaplan to be the worst of the bunch for GMAT prep, at least their advanced books. GMAT 800 is filled with questions that are much more vague than the real questions you encounter on the GMAT. They make SC questions out of stylistic issues that are subjective and which you will not find on the real test -- despite getting a great verbal score and getting all the OG11 verbal questions right when I was practicing, I was missing 50% of their SC questions.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Skitalets wrote:
bb wrote:

Just to be contrary, I'll chip in and say that I find Kaplan to be the worst of the bunch for GMAT prep, at least their advanced books. GMAT 800 is filled with questions that are much more vague than the real questions you encounter on the GMAT. They make SC questions out of stylistic issues that are subjective and which you will not find on the real test -- despite getting a great verbal score and getting all the OG11 verbal questions right when I was practicing, I was missing 50% of their SC questions.

Interesting - most folks have issues with Kaplan's CR's (I did too). SC is new to me.
I will agree - harder and higher level verbal questions are off the mark (in my experience especially in CR), but I found it to be easy to recalibrate using OG or even GMATprep. I have not used the Kaplan 800 book - not a big fan of it actually. It has a funky format and I do hear that the verbal questions are off. Math is a bit better as it is a clear cut.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys - just wanted to revive this long lost thread to let you know how the GMAT wound up! I took a long break from thinking about it during my first year of law school, and only recently made the decision to take it and apply to the b-school at Columbia this year. I only studied for about two weeks, but I pulled together a 730. My verbal was higher than my math (90x% verbal vs. 70x% math), but I'm pretty happy with the overall result. Do you have any thoughts on how the business school will look at this score with that kind of breakdown? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
GMAT Club Bot