Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Business - Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: OG-12 sentence correction easy or tough? [#permalink]
hey,

I am an international student and after I went through all 140 sample questions in the OG I had 60% correct. I am not happy about it as well. I really don't think it is that hard as I did quite well on the hardest questions while having not-so-well result on easy and medium ones. IMO it is the proof that I have improved over time. I will recommend you to go through lots of questions, because volume is essential to adapt to GMAT logic. It really is not THAT hard once you adapt to GMAT style, I promise! But what is essential is to go through the explanations of all the questions you got wrong. Memorize the rules. It sounds hard (especially if you've got like 100 question explanations to memorize), but you will definitely improve. Make an error log, and write down short descriptions of the questions you've got wrong (like rhetorical construction, grammatical construction, logical predication etc.). I guarantee you improvement because I've noticed that I can solve many questions on this forum easily.

Also, if you did some reading comprehension or critical reasoning questions, and find yourself unhappy about it as well, don't beat yourself up! IMO, you need to understand sentence correction tricks to move on. Once you do, things will get a little bit easier.

Remember that GMAT is something quite different. There are almost no GMAT talented people. All of those who scored well worked hard. Best business grad schools are not made for everyone, so if you want to get in you'll need some practicing.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 925 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
I attempted OG 13 (i believe there to be a considerable overlap b/w 12 and 13 ) and got 124 questions correct out of the 140 (SC) .. My breakup was , 11 wrong in the first 100 .. and the remaining wrong b/w 100-140 . I am not sure how to interpret this , and whether to invest in more material for SC prep or to move on. I have covered parts of the MGMAT SC guide, and read the SC chapter in the KAPLAN GMAT premier (and taken the quiz that is included) ...I am in the process of creating an error log of my mistakes from the OG and to see whether their is a pattern to the TYPE of questions that i got wrong.

I would appreciate if someone could recommend a sourse for extra questions for Sentence correction ..( I am all ready looking at the appropriate section on the forum for questions)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
MohitRulz wrote:
hi, I m feeling disheartened after getting 75% of SC questions in OG wrong.I found them too tough.Is it me or others also feel the same way?

75% is kinda high in my opinion but don't beat yourself up.
Sentence correction is easy to learn, all you need to do is remember few key factors. I suggest you summarize all the different approach's (Modification, parallelism etc...) and work with what you just summarized while answering. after 50 questions you will remember most of the tricks you need and continue without even looking at the summery.
It worked for me and im not a native speaker.

vomhorizon wrote:
I attempted OG 13 (i believe there to be a considerable overlap b/w 12 and 13 ) and got 124 questions correct out of the 140 (SC) .. My breakup was , 11 wrong in the first 100 .. and the remaining wrong b/w 100-140 . I am not sure how to interpret this , and whether to invest in more material for SC prep or to move on. I have covered parts of the MGMAT SC guide, and read the SC chapter in the KAPLAN GMAT premier (and taken the quiz that is included) ...I am in the process of creating an error log of my mistakes from the OG and to see whether their is a pattern to the TYPE of questions that i got wrong.

I would appreciate if someone could recommend a sourse for extra questions for Sentence correction ..( I am all ready looking at the appropriate section on the forum for questions)

Aristotle SC has 100 SC questions at the end and is a very good guide too. the difference between Aristotle and MGMAT is that Aristotle is more straight to the point then MGMAT. MGMAT expands your knowledge and has more depth than Aristotle (IMO of course).
When I started to work on my SC skills, I first went through MGMAT and then Aristotle and i feel much stronger now.
BTW, there are alot of SC questions here in the forum as well...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts