Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink]
True, I definitely agree that consideration is given if you've visited, but you could always visit after submitting to do your interview/class visit (if you were applying EA and couldn't make that small window of time) and they'd still know you visited/sat in on a class when they were reviewing your application, since I'm sure they don't review it until you've done your interview. As you mentioned, if you did that you wouldn't be able to reference things in your essays though.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I am in for R1 as well. I am planning on visiting before september ends for sure.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
count me in for round 2.....
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Hey all! I just got back from two weeks in Europe - aahhhhhh, lovely! Work starts Monday though - I am going to have to figure out how to make my new punk-rock haircut lay down flat(ter).

Anyway, to your questions:

1. The average age and WE is somewhat high at 29 and 5-ish. That said, many students are much younger. While 24 would be very young (for example), many of my friends were 26 or so. Our many military and int'l students seem to drive the higher age average to some extent. I haven't noticed much WE discussions during recruiting, but then I was 28 and had 6 years, so I guess it didn't affect me. I'd say it's less about quantity and more about quality and type.

2. Last year's W4W was highly, highly oversubscribed. It's a fantastic experience, and I hope you'll apply again. I would say that they are somewhat correlated - you are right that admission and the W4W have criteria that must be related - or why would they bother? But if you weren't planning to apply till this year, that could explain things. You've also got another year under your belt, and that matters too.

3. Marketing is amazing. It's one of our best concentrations, and we're up there in the top few with all the marketing concentration rankings. I took only 2 marketing classes, but I thought they were both fantastic. Our profs do super-exciting research (google Dan Ariely and Gavan Fitzsimmons for two examples) and I think are among the best at bringing that research directly into the classroom.

4. Definitively no.

cheers
aau

gettinggoing wrote:
I think I'm applying.. either R1 or R2. I wouldn't be opposed to applying EA either, if I can get my act together in time. :)

aaudetat - thanks for your posts on this forum. I have a couple of questions....

1. Age / WE - I think Duke has an older WE than some other schools. I have 2 years experience right now and should have 3 years at matriculation - will that hurt me for admissions - I get the sense that Duke isn't as young-applicant-friendly... is that just my perception?. Even if I do get in, will recruiting be more difficult because I'll be competing against more experienced classmates at Duke? Do a lot of companies have an experience cut-off when they recruit on campus?

2. Duke Weekend for Women - I applied last year and didn't get in. I know the AdCom say that the decision isn't related to MBA admissions at all... but how can it not be? I won't let that stop me from applying but it's a little discouraging. Anyone else here in the same boat?

3. How is marketing at Duke? What do your marketing classmates think of the program and the recruiters?

4. Does applying EA mean no scholarship money?

I'm trying to make it out to Durham for a trip as early in October as possible... might be hard given work, but I really want to visit before I apply. Who's planning a visit in the fall?

And thanks in advance to aaudetat and anyone else who responds!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Bus. Strategy, Entrep.
Schools:Haas, Booth-PT
Send PM
Was waitlisted last year... will reapply this year..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Hi all,

I'm another Fuqua FY -- happy to answer any questions as best I can.

We just had the kick-off weekend for the Program for Entrepreneurs, which was really exciting! Duke is a great place to be -- not just because of the first-rate MBA programs at Fuqua, but because of all the synergies with other schools at the university. Lots of amazing ideas for start-ups came out of the med school, the engineering school, and nearby departments at NCSU and elsewhere.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Has Fuqua posted their essays for the 2010 application season?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:HBS, Kellogg, Duke, Darden, Wharton
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Count me in for Round 1.

Waitlisted last year too. Long-time observer, finally decided to create an account for this upcoming cycle.

Good luck all!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
ROLL CALL PAGE UPDATED
Current Student
Send PM
Skitalets wrote:
Hi all,

I'm another Fuqua FY -- happy to answer any questions as best I can.

We just had the kick-off weekend for the Program for Entrepreneurs, which was really exciting! Duke is a great place to be -- not just because of the first-rate MBA programs at Fuqua, but because of all the synergies with other schools at the university. Lots of amazing ideas for start-ups came out of the med school, the engineering school, and nearby departments at NCSU and elsewhere.

Hi Skitalets,
Thanks for stopping by to help us all. I'm sure we'll have a lots of questions once the essays are posted.

Unless it's very specific to your appplication, I would request everyone to ask questions on the forum and not via PM. This way we can all learn.

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Skitalets wrote:

Is the "Program for Entrepreneurs" something in which those in the Entrepreneurship and Innovation concentration participate?
Current Student
 Q49  V47
Send PM
mba12tech wrote:
Is the "Program for Entrepreneurs" something in which those in the Entrepreneurship and Innovation concentration participate?

P4E is intentionally separate from the concentration, but the courses can go toward satisfying some of the requirements for the concentration.

The way Jon Fjeld, the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation's Exec. Director, described it to us this past weekend, the intent is to bring together students in the P4E who are genuinely committed to seeing an idea through to starting up an actual company -- if the idea is good enough to warrant it. So there's no certificate or credential to gain in the P4E -- just experience trying to get a company off the ground (and academic credit for the courses).

The concentration, by contrast, is just a set of courses. It's useful preparation, but it serves a different purpose.

There is clearly a lot of interest in this kind of hands-on opportunity at Duke, because interest is huge this year. We had about 40 students in the room this weekend -- about a tenth of the FY class. Being in b-school provides something of a safety net for working out how to get a business off the ground -- Duke is throwing a lot of resources at creating an environment to facilitate that learning.
Current Student
 Q49  V47
Send PM
BTW, I forgot to mention, P4E is open to *ALL* Duke students, not just Fuqua students. There is one set of courses for graduate students and a parallel set for undergrads. The intent is to allow med students, engineering students, MBAs, law students, and others to get involved in start-ups.

Obviously a ton of start-ups are tech and health sciences oriented, especially at Duke and in this region of the country. So that permits Duke to really draw on all its strengths to promote and nurture start-ups.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
I came across this site, which looks pretty solid for explaining all of this:
https://entrepreneurshipatduke.blogspot.com/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Add me please for R1 :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Updated roll call page.

On a separate note - where are those darn essays?!?!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
new viewbook!

my fabulous mug is sadly not included, but some of my friends are in there.

https://ow.ly/j53K

Also, are you all fans of Fuqua on FB? They post updates about once a week, and they're pretty interesting: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_i ... 877&ref=nf
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts