Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink]
have the answer for you guys, but still need to gather a little more data. Will post in a day or two, stay tuned. (in short, Haas is part of the program)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy Management, Finance
Schools:Cornell 2011
 Q48  V42
Send PM
bpr81 wrote:
bucktooth911 beat me to it, by announcing the change in the essay questions. :-)

So i will put in the major/minor changes in the essays.

Major Change:

Short Question 1: What are you most passionate about? Why? (250 word maximum)

Completely new question.

Optional Essay 2: has been removed.

So what does it mean for the HAAS Achievement Award? Maybe the Adcom would want applicants applying for that award to answer here.

Minor Change:

Short Question 3: 3. At Haas, we value innovation and creativity. Describe a time when you created positive change in a group or an organization? (250 words)

I think the major highlight here is positive change.

Long Question 2: 2. What are your post-MBA short-term and long-term career goals? How do your professional experiences relate to these goals? How will an MBA from Berkeley help you achieve these specific career goals? (1000 word maximum)

The last part of the question no longer asks about 'Why Now' but more emphasis on how Haas would help you achieve these goals.

I think it's going to be a bit tricky to make sure the responses don't overlap. E.g. answers to these 3 could if the most significant accomplishment is of leadership+innovative nature.

2. Tell us about your most significant accomplishment.
3. At Haas, we value innovation and creativity. Describe a time when you created positive change in a group or an organization.
1. Give us an example of a situation in which you displayed leadership.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
bucktooth911 wrote:

3. At Haas, we value innovation and creativity. Describe a time when you created positive change in a group or an organization.

Not necessarily. If you think hard enough, you can pick three different things that will demonstrate various strengths and still answer the question.

For example, I did:

2. A tennis team related activity (extracurricular leadership, team player, personality)
3. an at work social group (leadership, innovation/change, social person)
1. A work rotation where I led a whole program (achievement at work, leadership style)

hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
have the answer for you guys, but still need to gather a little more data. Will post in a day or two, stay tuned. (in short, Haas is part of the program)

Any updates on the Yellow Ribbon program at Haas?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
yeah, you'll get an official response in the next day or two. There has been some complications, but for the applicants this fall (for class of 2012), Haas will be part of the program.

Sorry for the delay.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: General Management and Consulting
Schools:Cornell AMBA($$), Kellogg MBA(w/d), Ross(w/d), Ivey MBA(w/d), Haas
 Q50  V42
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
bucktooth911 wrote:

Not necessarily. If you think hard enough, you can pick three different things that will demonstrate various strengths and still answer the question.

For example, I did:

2. A tennis team related activity (extracurricular leadership, team player, personality)
3. an at work social group (leadership, innovation/change, social person)
1. A work rotation where I led a whole program (achievement at work, leadership style)

hope that helps!

Thats right. Each question can relate to a different aspect of your leadership skill or a different situation (either at work place or in ur extra-curricular activity).

the one thing i am a little unsure is to which leadership situation is better for a particular question from an Adcom's view.:-)

i.e Do i put the extracurricular leadership for short question Q2 and the work place leadership situation to Long question Q1, or the other way round. Maybe i will just toss a coin. :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
bpr81 wrote:
Thats right. Each question can relate to a different aspect of your leadership skill or a different situation (either at work place or in ur extra-curricular activity).

the one thing i am a little unsure is to which leadership situation is better for a particular question from an Adcom's view.:-)

i.e Do i put the extracurricular leadership for short question Q2 and the work place leadership situation to Long question Q1, or the other way round. Maybe i will just toss a coin. :lol:

You're overanalyzing too much if you're wondering about which one is "better" from the Adcom's view. What is "better" is an example that truly represents who you are, what you bring to the school, and your leadership ability. If you have a short and sweet example for leadership, use it in the short answers. If you have one from work that's more detailed, use it for Long Q1. It's all about what information you can tell them to make you three dimensional. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy Management, Finance
Schools:Cornell 2011
 Q48  V42
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
bpr81 wrote:

You're overanalyzing too much if you're wondering about which one is "better" from the Adcom's view. What is "better" is an example that truly represents who you are, what you bring to the school, and your leadership ability. If you have a short and sweet example for leadership, use it in the short answers. If you have one from work that's more detailed, use it for Long Q1. It's all about what information you can tell them to make you three dimensional. :)

kryzak - thanks for your thoughtful input in this forum. This might be a bit off-topic but I gotta ask. How are students doing with internships and post-graduation careers at Haas? Are students more open than previous couple of years in terms of their post-graduation career direction? (e.g. returning to same industry or employer, or settling with industry X vs industry Y) Has recruiting from high tech firms, VC firms go down?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Hi bucktooth,

Students are definitely more flexible this year in terms of looking for internships and full time positions compared to previous years. And even though recruiting for some high tech firms have gone down, others have gone up. Yahoo, Microsoft, and Amazon ended up hiring as many or more than previous years for internships, while Adobe and Google drastically cut down on their internship hiring (across the board). New companies like LucasArts decided to hiring a few MBAs here and there. So overall, I would say the numbers are about the same, just with a different mix of companies.

VC firms never really recruit in earnest, but we do have about the same number of students getting VC jobs over the summer as before. I don't think that's changed a lot.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: General Management and Consulting
Schools:Cornell AMBA($$), Kellogg MBA(w/d), Ross(w/d), Ivey MBA(w/d), Haas
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Too much analysis on the questions, i suppose. Have to stop it.

kryzak, how about Consulting firms. How is the recruiting for consulting from HAAS during these times?

HAAS has a strong affiliation to Energy/Clean tech. So besides entrepreneurship, does HAAS offer other avenues to pursue in this sector like in Energy Investments. Any particular Program/Club/Initiative at HAAS for this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
How is the Healthcare major at Haas compared with other schools who have Healthcare concenteration in their MBA?

Will the adcom give preference to applicants who have work-ex and education related to the Healthcare industry?
Current Student
Send PM
woncosmo wrote:
How is the Healthcare major at Haas compared with other schools who have Healthcare concenteration in their MBA?

Will the adcom give preference to applicants who have work-ex and education related to the Healthcare industry?

Are you in interested in the MBA/MPH program or the Healthcare certificate? I'm trying to find out more about how prior related experience and education factor in (because I have neither unfortunately). On the web page I did noticed that it's mentioned that dual degree candidates typically have some experience and that the certificate may be more appropriate for those with a strong healthcare background.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
bpr81 wrote:
Too much analysis on the questions, i suppose. Have to stop it.

kryzak, how about Consulting firms. How is the recruiting for consulting from HAAS during these times?

HAAS has a strong affiliation to Energy/Clean tech. So besides entrepreneurship, does HAAS offer other avenues to pursue in this sector like in Energy Investments. Any particular Program/Club/Initiative at HAAS for this?

The one stat I did hear about consulting (sorry I dont' pay attention to the consulting recruiting much) is that McKinsey hired 14 full time people this past year. Not sure about the internship numbers at the moment. the report should be out later this summer.

As for energy investments, again, that's an area I'm not sure about, but I can check with a friend in the BERC club and see.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
woncosmo wrote:

I'm not quite sure what your question means. the MPH/MBA dual degree program is a healthcare "concentration" program at Haas. It takes 2.5 years to finish (one extra semester) and gets you pretty well connected into the healthcare and public health industry.

I can't claim to know what the adcom is looking for, but I would think the better you can link your experiences (whether healthcare related or not) to your future career in healthcare, then better your chances.
Current Student
Send PM
This is a bit premature since we all still have to apply and get accepted :o , but did anyone see the notice on the Haas FT MBA Costs website? https://www.haas.berkeley.edu/mba/finaid/FTCosts.htm

At the end of the first paragraph, it says to note that due to the state budget crisis, university fees may be increased mid-year. It was mentioned on page 1 of this thread that tuition has been gone up to match most other schools (at least out of state), but this possible hike seems to be separate; it'll be interesting to see what happens.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
gregarious wrote:
This is a bit premature since we all still have to apply and get accepted :o , but did anyone see the notice on the Haas FT MBA Costs website? https://www.haas.berkeley.edu/mba/finaid/FTCosts.htm

At the end of the first paragraph, it says to note that due to the state budget crisis, university fees may be increased mid-year. It was mentioned on page 1 of this thread that tuition has been gone up to match most other schools (at least out of state), but this possible hike seems to be separate; it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I believe the dean has told us that the fees won't be hiking up more after this coming year. We have matched our out of state tuition to other private schools (still a few K cheaper at $45K) and that was the original 3 year fee-hike plan started 2 years ago. If there are more hikes coming, it's something that we (current students) don't know of yet.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks kryzak for the heads up, it's good to know that there aren't any more hikes planned. The way it was worded on the website made me think that it was more a UC wide precautionary notice just in case the state budget crisis has a worse fallout than expected. The budget here in Hawaii is not exactly in great condition either and has affected the local universities.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  62