Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Re: Wait to visit before writing essays? [#permalink]
2012dreams wrote:
I'm applying to all the schools I choose for round 2. There are a couple of schools where I know the visit will determine if I apply or not. I was wondering, for the schools I'm positive I'm applying to, should I just go ahead and start the essays or should I wait until I have visited them? Will the visit be that much more helpful? I'd prefer to get as much of the application out the way as possible so I can enjoy my holidays.

Personally, I have found that visiting the school helps a lot in writing the essays. By visiting, you learn what the school is looking for in a candidate, and you can better speak to what makes you an ideal candidate. You also get to see what the school is like and whether it would be a good fit for you. As to whether it's necessary to visit the school before writing, no, it's not necessary, but it's definitely a good idea. Hope this helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
I'm applying to all the schools I choose for round 2. There are a couple of schools where I know the visit will determine if I apply or not. I was wondering, for the schools I'm positive I'm applying to, should I just go ahead and start the essays or should I wait until I have visited them? Will the visit be that much more helpful? I'd prefer to get as much of the application out the way as possible so I can enjoy my holidays.

If you can meet current students at events in your city or are able to speak to students/alumni then a visit probably is not necesarry.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
2012dreams wrote:

If you can meet current students at events in your city or are able to speak to students/alumni then a visit probably is not necesarry.

Well, they'll only advertise their school, so how would you be able to understand the "not so good" aspects about the school? the fit, the professors, culture etc.

But, talking to alumni/students is better than doing nothing - if a school visit is not on your cards.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
thanks for the responses. i'll definitely be visiting schools, i'm big on fit so i want to experience the culture firsthand.

looks like i'll be diving into the career goal essays pretty soon at least...here goes!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
I'd agree with everyone else. There's no reason to wait - most of the essays are about you. I had rough ideas for each essay and when visiting schools I'd sometimes hear something and think that would work great in my essay X and jot it down to include, so it might even be helpful.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
pm4553 wrote:
terp26 wrote:
2012dreams wrote:

Well, they'll only advertise their school, so how would you be able to understand the "not so good" aspects about the school? the fit, the professors, culture etc.

But, talking to alumni/students is better than doing nothing - if a school visit is not on your cards.

Most students I talked to during my research were actually pretty candid about the not so good aspects about the school. Sure you meet the occasional cheerleader who denies there is anything not awesome about their school. But I think most students will give you straight answers and not just the school's marketing spin.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
pm4553 wrote:
terp26 wrote:

Most students I talked to during my research were actually pretty candid about the not so good aspects about the school. Sure you meet the occasional cheerleader who denies there is anything not awesome about their school. But I think most students will give you straight answers and not just the school's marketing spin.

Students are also self selecting though. Most people will tell you how it really is because the absolute worst thing for school rep is to have someone go there, have a bad experience and then trash the school later. But, even if the students won't give you the marketing spin, they might view things that would annoy you as a positive aspect of the school. things like size, limits on interviews, class selection methods. All that stuff can really go both ways, so be careful that you're also getting the facts in addition to whatever editorial comments the students might have.
GMAT Club Bot