Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Re: Any difference between applying in R1 vs. R2? [#permalink]
Kudos
There are huge differences in my opinion.

1. When you apply in round 1, you know there's a round 2 in case things go wrong.
2. If you are waitlisted in round 1, you have one more shot of coming off the WL.
3. More scholarships are available to round 1 applicants.
4. If you get good offers in round 1, you can use them to negotiate funds from other schools which are no longer available during round 2.

The only reason to postpone filing the application to round 2, in my opinion, would be if your application would be much better in R2 (i.e., improving GMAT, not enough time to write and etc.).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
i've heard there's really no difference either, and i'm not sure how applying and getting in somewhere in round one gives you leverage in round 2 when your deposit for the round 1 school is more than likely due before decisions are made for round 2.

i'm choosing to apply round 2 because i work for a smaller company and i do not want them to know almost a year before i would leave that i'm thinking about leaving. my company is not a MBA feeder, so the longer i can hold off on basically telling them i'm only here until june/july 2010, the better.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
i've heard there's really no difference either, and i'm not sure how applying and getting in somewhere in round one gives you leverage in round 2 when your deposit for the round 1 school is more than likely due before decisions are made for round 2.

i'm choosing to apply round 2 because i work for a smaller company and i do not want them to know almost a year before i would leave that i'm thinking about leaving. my company is not a MBA feeder, so the longer i can hold off on basically telling them i'm only here until june/july 2010, the better.

You have a very good reason to apply in round 2. I would add that to one of the cases where it may be better to apply in r2, but it doesn't negate the advantages of applying in round 1 that I mentioned.

Specifically, getting into a school in round 1 and then being admitted to another in round 2 can help you get money from the second school. I've seen it happen. You tell them you already paid the deposit for the first school and finances have become very important to you.

In fact, I personally got in off the waitlisted and got offered money when I told them I was going to a school that admitted me in round 1.
Current Student
Send PM
Gil wrote:
There are huge differences in my opinion.

1. When you apply in round 1, you know there's a round 2 in case things go wrong.
2. If you are waitlisted in round 1, you have one more shot of coming off the WL.
3. More scholarships are available to round 1 applicants.
4. If you get good offers in round 1, you can use them to negotiate funds from other schools which are no longer available during round 2.

The only reason to postpone filing the application to round 2, in my opinion, would be if your application would be much better in R2 (i.e., improving GMAT, not enough time to write and etc.).

Thank you. That's what I wanted to know.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot