Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink]
sam77sam7 wrote:
w103psp wrote:
I see you (may have) applied to Duke and Kellog too. What made you pick Ross over the other 2?

w103psp - I chose Michigan over Duke because I am from Michigan, and have lived here for most of my life. I analyzed all the options, and found Duke and Michigan to be almost completely equal in all regards. Michigan had a few aspects I liked a little more (entrepreneurship program, internal VC funds, pre-term trip, MAP project), but Duke had a lot of programs I liked as well. Both campuses are beautiful, although Duke probably has the weather edge.

I didn't get into Kellogg; it was my top choice, so if I had gotten in, I would have gone. ;)

Sam, thanks for the info! I haven't visited either campus yet but I have relatives in both who love the campus and the college atmosphere. Plus I'm from the Great State of Ohio! Ha ha...but not from OSU so no real ties to the Buckeyes.

I have always worked at start-ups and I want to continue doing that after my MBA; probably work for a VC that also offers startups help with management. The entrepreneurship program and internal VC funds you mention at Ross sound very interesting. Time for me start researching the programs in more detail.

Thanks again for being on this board to help us all out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I know this is the Ross thread, but since we are discussing Ross and Fuqua - look into the entrepreneurship program at Fuqua as well. If you are interested in high-tech or health-care start-ups, Fuqua has a unique business incubator program that is worth looking into. They only take maybe 10-15 students, help with business ideas, strategy, contacts with VCs, with the end goal of launching the business at the end of your two years.

~Sam
Current Student
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
I know this is the Ross thread, but since we are discussing Ross and Fuqua - look into the entrepreneurship program at Fuqua as well. If you are interested in high-tech or health-care start-ups, Fuqua has a unique business incubator program that is worth looking into. They only take maybe 10-15 students, help with business ideas, strategy, contacts with VCs, with the end goal of launching the business at the end of your two years.

~Sam

Sam, I posted this in the Duke 2010 thread. The entrepreneurship program at Duke was what attracted me but now that you mention that Ross has a great program too, I will definitely learn more about it. Thanks!

https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-duke-fall-2010-applicants-merged-80027-20.html#p605723
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:McCombs School of Business
Send PM
I will be a re-applying this year (interviewed then dinged in R1 last year). Anyone know if Ross looks more favorably on re-apps? Any successful Ross re-applicants out there?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management and Consulting
Schools:Cornell AMBA($$), Kellogg MBA(w/d), Ross(w/d), Ivey MBA(w/d), Haas
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Hi goose,

seems we are in the same boat. I am also reapplying for ross this year after getting dinged in R2 ( after interview).

any thoughts on a good re-application strategy?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bpr81,

Did you receive any feedback from Ross? They told me they give feedback to 'select' applicants sometime in July but I haven't heard anything.

As for re-app strategy... they say it's optional to do the current essays for reapplicants. Are you planning on doing any of those, or just the detailed cover letter?

Just curious, what other schools did you apply to last year?
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
hey goose,

i got the same reply from the adcom last month. But havent received any mail from them regarding the feedback schedule for july.

I dont think i would re-submitting any of the essays, Since my goals have not changed, so i dont see any point of submitting the essays again( Unless you would want to restate them in a better writing style. :-)).

So i guess i am looking at the cover letter, and an updated resume for submission. What about you?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I got an emailed Ross last week and they emailed back saying the application would be up on August 1st. I've been all over the website and can't find where its up, if its up yet. Anyone have any other info?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bpr81,

I'm thinking about only doing the cover letter as well. My career goals story has changed a little bit so I will include that in the cover letter instead of re-writing essay #1.

My concern is that since I wasn't selected to receive feedback that I'll just be wasting my time and money on another Michigan app. Are you having the same hesitation at all? But, I guess even if my chances aren't that great, it's worth it to re-apply since the process is so minimal this time around.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
I would take a fresh look at your entire app from last year. Re-application might be easier this year with just a little tweaks here and there, but I would use the opportunity to bring in "fresh" perspectives. You dont want the adcom to feel that you applied just because it is an easy app to complete. Laziness, perceived or real, is a sure application killer. Show that you learned something from last year's experience. Good luck!

goose wrote:
bpr81,

I'm thinking about only doing the cover letter as well. My career goals story has changed a little bit so I will include that in the cover letter instead of re-writing essay #1.

My concern is that since I wasn't selected to receive feedback that I'll just be wasting my time and money on another Michigan app. Are you having the same hesitation at all? But, I guess even if my chances aren't that great, it's worth it to re-apply since the process is so minimal this time around.

On another note, seeing this thread brings back so many memories. Can't believe it is already 2 years :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
Hey ncp - you back in AA yet? I'm heading out in two weeks to take the Accounting Waiver.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
So apparently Ross' essays will be the same for this year again. I still can't seem to find them on the Ross website (though I admittedly can find very little on their site), but the link from the consulting firms say 2010. I've updated the first post with them.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
I got an emailed Ross last week and they emailed back saying the application would be up on August 1st. I've been all over the website and can't find where its up, if its up yet. Anyone have any other info?

The application is up now.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability & Corporate Social Responsibility
Schools:Ross, Fuqua
 Q48  V47
Send PM
FYI - I spoke with the Admissions Office and registration for the Visit in Person (VIP) program for this fall should be available online by September 1st.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
Schools:Kellogg, Ross, Tepper
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Good luck everyone!

I'm a re-applicant (R1 w/ interview, then waitlist, then dinged) that will be submitting R1. Hoping for a dual MBA/MHSA.

Last week, I received an email from ross inviting me to set up a 10 minute phone feedback appointment, which I promptly scheduled for later this week. Has anyone else scheduled one of these? Or previously had one (even at a different school)? And advice would be much appreciated :-D

Edit:

The feedback wasn’t anything earth shattering. They told me it was going to be a 10 minute phone interview and we kept it to that length.

We discussed my strengths and weaknesses in my application from last year and I came away knowing I needed to

1 – do a better job explaining how a MBA will lead to my ultimate career goals
2 – show better leadership examples
3 – not come across as too competitive

I already knew that I needed to improve on those first 2 points. However, the 3rd surprised me a bit.
Looking back it derived from my interview from last year. In it, I was asked which 3 adjectives best describe me and one of my answers was “competitive”. I went on to explain that it was self-competitive so I always strive to improve. And although I used another adjective to talk about how I value a team first attitude, “competitive” was still a mistake.

Originally posted by dv450 on 05 Aug 2009, 20:41.
Last edited by dv450 on 19 Mar 2010, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
dv450 wrote:
Good luck everyone!

I'm a re-applicant (R1 w/ interview, then waitlist, then dinged) that will be submitting R1. Hoping for a dual MBA/MHSA.

Last week, I received an email from ross inviting me to set up a 10 minute phone feedback appointment, which I promptly scheduled for later this week. Has anyone else scheduled one of these? Or previously had one (even at a different school)? And advice would be much appreciated :-D

Tht's great dv450. I havent got a feedback appointment, but since u got one, maybe you can post ur experience here after the session. Would be of great help for all re-applicants even though the feedback is more in relevance to ur goals and essays.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
Schools:Kellogg, Ross, Tepper
 Q50  V41
Send PM
bpr81, I'll be sure to fill everyone in
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  97