Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
 Q51  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management and Consulting
Schools:Cornell AMBA($$), Kellogg MBA(w/d), Ross(w/d), Ivey MBA(w/d), Haas
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
I have been trying to find the Kellogg MBA brochure for sometime, but with little luck. I saw the MMM brochure, but there doesn't seem to be one for 2-year MBA.

Anyone out there, who was able to get their hands on it?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
bpr81 wrote:
I have been trying to find the Kellogg MBA brochure for sometime, but with little luck. I saw the MMM brochure, but there doesn't seem to be one for 2-year MBA.

They will mail you one if you request it.
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/TakeAction/Request_Information.aspx

Also check out the latests facts and figures:
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/About_Our_Students/~/media/Files/FTMBA/FT_FactsFigures-09.ashx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
 Q51  V38
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
ACNguy wrote:
vikramaditya wrote:
Is the word limit of 600 words for the first three essays very strict? Can it be exceeded by around 5-10%?

I'm not willing to risk it. It's one of those things that if you catch an Adcom on a bad day, it might put a bad taste in their mouth. If you're only 5-10% over it shouldn't be overly difficult to shave that off.

I concur. I'm abiding strictly by the word limits, I don't want them thinking I don't follow directions, I need all the help I can get :)

I've seen this debated here before and it seems to be a gray area. Some people think they give you the word limits and they mean it, so you shouldn't go over. Others think the extra five or ten percent isn't noticeable anyway and that certainly they wouldn't keep you out because of that if your app is good. Certainly they won't notice the difference if you're at 605, so don't make yourself crazy.

ACNguy & highhopes,

Thanks for the quick response.I have manages to cut down two of the essays to around 620 words.However,Im finding it extremly difficult to prune it further,without losing the essence of the story.

Can any current Kellogg students give their opinion on the word count limit?I have read that this is the first time that Kellogg has given a word limit to be followed.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
As hard as it may seem, I'd advise trimming essays down to the limit. When I was working on mine, I had the same concerns and found that cutting the final few words was always the hardest. Still, trimming the essays to the limits improved the final products by making them more concise and focused. So, trimming has two benefits: (1) it adheres to the rules set by admissions; and (2) it can make your essays more impactful.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Pretty much the same issue here.

I read the general rule of thumb was 5% tolerance (here is the issue with all the sources - I dont remember where I read this) i.e. 570-630 words for the 600 word essays. So I've curtailed myself to the 620 word range. Guess I should trim it to under 610.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Frankly, I don't think 5% will make any difference. No one is going to sit and count how many words were in an essay.

When I wrote my essays, I tried to adhere to the word counts as much as possible. However, no one is going to penalize you if your essay is 585 words or 615 words as long as you have a good app. I think many of my essays were over the word limit by 5% or so.

OhThatMBA wrote:
As hard as it may seem, I'd advise trimming essays down to the limit. When I was working on mine, I had the same concerns and found that cutting the final few words was always the hardest. Still, trimming the essays to the limits improved the final products by making them more concise and focused. So, trimming has two benefits: (1) it adheres to the rules set by admissions; and (2) it can make your essays more impactful.

Posted from my mobile device

I do agree with this. You need to say the most in the least amount of words so try to make your essays as impactful as possible.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Honestly, I can't believe that this is even up for debate. If the word limit is set at 600 words, then that's the limit. Not a suggestion. nor an approximation, but a LIMIT.
Director
Director
Send PM
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Here are two things I think almost everyone on here will agree on:
1) The adcom knows approximately what their word count should look like.
2) The adcom is not going to sit around counting words.

I'll stay just under the limit, mostly because of my constant state of paranoia :) It probably doesn't matter if you're 5-10 words over - it's a sentence. But to be honest, I found trimming the drafts I've written was pretty easy. I found I was constantly using passive voice which was eating my word counts. I also used words like really quite often. Taking these things out actually allowed me to ADD to my essay. So I think you can trim the essays, you might just need to put some effort in. Heck, if you send me your essay, I will get rid of the extra twenty words for you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Bus. Strategy, Entrep.
Schools:Haas, Booth-PT
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
bpr81 wrote:

They will mail you one if you request it.
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/TakeAction/Request_Information.aspx

Also check out the latests facts and figures:
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/About_Our_Students/~/media/Files/FTMBA/FT_FactsFigures-09.ashx

Thanks for sharing the stats...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I tried to stay within 5% of the word limits. I was over on most of my essays, but usually by only 8-12 words.

If you feel more comfortable staying within the limits, do that. If you think 5% isn't a huge deal, use that guideline. I think anything more than 10% over the word limit becomes noticeable so I'd avoid that :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
Send PM
Count me in for R1.
Director
Director
Send PM
So am I correct in assuming that you should submit Part I as soon as the application is available so that you can schedule your interview right away and then you can work on Part 2 until the deadline?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
So am I correct in assuming that you should submit Part I as soon as the application is available so that you can schedule your interview right away and then you can work on Part 2 until the deadline?

Yup! That's pretty much what I did.
PS highhopes - if you do the off-campus interview option, choose your location carefully. I was a bit paranoid about work people seeing me interviewing. I ended up picking Espresso Royale on State St as the downtown location worked best for my interviewer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
highhopes wrote:

As soon as you're comfortable knowing your career goals and other little information that is required to put down in Part 1, I say that's a good idea. Especially if you know when you want to interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entertainment
Schools:Chicago (Ding w/Interview), Kellogg(Ding), Darden (Int), NYU (Rd 2), USC (Rd 2)
 Q47  V37
Send PM
Even if you fill out part one early it does not mean you will interview right away. It took a while for the school to get back to me regarding who my interviewer was, which was strange since I am in Chicago. My interviewer also had to cancel twice because of work conflicts.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
highhopes wrote:

As everyone said, you should submit Part 1 as early as you can since that gives you a better chance to get an early interview. Mine was pretty early last year, even before the Part II was due. :D Although one drawback of that was that I had not finish my essay yet and the few questions she asked were the Part II essay questions.
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance/Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Send PM
Does anyone know if Kellogg requires official transcripts directly from the university or is an upload of an unofficial transcript satisfactory? the website says:

The following are required for the 2010 application:
Academic transcripts from all colleges, universities and professional schools attended

...and count me in for R1 JD/MBA app. best of luck everyone.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  136   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts