Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg
Send PM
Re: Kellogg School of Managemnt - MMM Program [#permalink]
great post!!!

One general question: What's the difference between MMM and Technology Industry Management program (https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/aca ... /index.htm)

The latter says:
The major is useful for students who wish to work as product managers in technology companies, consultants in strategy consulting firms or as entrepreneurs. It is also useful for future general managers who will sponsor initiatives involving enterprise technology.

Seems to be identical (or better suited) for people from the technology background?
Current Student
 Q45  V38
Send PM
dynabook wrote:
great post!!!

One general question: What's the difference between MMM and Technology Industry Management program (https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/aca ... /index.htm)

The latter says:
The major is useful for students who wish to work as product managers in technology companies, consultants in strategy consulting firms or as entrepreneurs. It is also useful for future general managers who will sponsor initiatives involving enterprise technology.

Seems to be identical (or better suited) for people from the technology background?

Disclaimer: I do not have a technology background!

A couple of differences. The first major one is that in the MMM program, you are graduating with two separate degrees. Obviously an MBA from Kellogg, but also a Masters in Engineering Management from McCormick School of Engineering. Technology Industry Management program is a major within the MBA program at Kellogg. Would probably agree that it is very well suited for folks with a tech background provided they want to stay in technology management (or related service industries to include MC) post graduation. However, I would argue that if you are interested in technology development or manufacturing MMM may be a better option.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Any links available for information on the MMM Integration Projects? I'd love to see a few examples of the work that students are doing.
Current Student
 Q45  V38
Send PM
mba12tech wrote:
Any links available for information on the MMM Integration Projects? I'd love to see a few examples of the work that students are doing.

mba12tech, I've not been able to come across a single source for this information. I will certainly keep my eyes open once school starts and post whatever I come across.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Thanks Dom, this is good stuff. I was curious if you had any knowledge of the view (and benefit) of the MMM program in the Energy/Utilities industry. Given the preference for engineers in that industry, would having the MEM alongside the MBA be more beneficial?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
unhedged wrote:
Thanks Dom, this is good stuff. I was curious if you had any knowledge of the view (and benefit) of the MMM program in the Energy/Utilities industry. Given the preference for engineers in that industry, would having the MEM alongside the MBA be more beneficial?

I dont think it makes a huge difference. They are hiring the MBA and they prefer engineers but thats more your background (undergrad and work experience). I think a lot of people in the energy industry were MMM but I dont think they got there because of the MMM, I think its more that they had the right background and interest. It certainly wont hurt but I dont think it will be a huge selling point over someone with out the MEM. They really want passion and love people who have industry experience/knowledge. I didn't go MMM because I wanted to have more flexibility with what I take and looking at the classes I want to take and the number of classes I can possible cram into my schedule I am glad I did since there is no way I can take everything I want.
Current Student
 Q45  V38
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
unhedged wrote:

I dont think it makes a huge difference. They are hiring the MBA and they prefer engineers but thats more your background (undergrad and work experience). I think a lot of people in the energy industry were MMM but I dont think they got there because of the MMM, I think its more that they had the right background and interest. It certainly wont hurt but I dont think it will be a huge selling point over someone with out the MEM. They really want passion and love people who have industry experience/knowledge. I didn't go MMM because I wanted to have more flexibility with what I take and looking at the classes I want to take and the number of classes I can possible cram into my schedule I am glad I did since there is no way I can take everything I want.

It is worth noting from the 2008 employment report that of the two kellogg grads that ended up going GM at Exxon (one in Houston and one in Fairfax), both were MMM (small sample size, I know). As river said though, it's difficult to tell if the MEM really had anything to do with that or if it was more on a basis of their previous experiences. I can't help but think though that all the operations classes you take as part of the MEM would be beneficial in a production industry such as energy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think historically Exxon hired lots of MMM since they have a very stronger preference for engineers than the other oil majors (its one of the things they actually specify in their recruiting pitch) and the vast majority of engineers head into the MMM path. However, note the FT hire this year was a 1Y and none of the three interns were MMM. Chevron took 3 interns, 2 were MMM (both are in type finance roles not GM/operations) but they hired 5 fulltime and only 1 was a MMM and he is going into trading.

If you want energy MMM might give you a slight edge but honestly networking and showing passion for the industry will do far more. If a school has an energy club get heavily involved, if they do an energy trek spend the money and go on it (Kellogg is going to have two this year an Oil one in the fall and a clean energy one in the Spring). Oil recruits traditionally and there are plenty of recent grads there, reach other to everyone you can because I can tell you for a fact the recruiters check up on that. Renewables recruire networking just to find the opportunities.
Current Student
Send PM
domtri33, quick question for you. If I'm still on the fence as far as whether to apply to MMM but definitely set on Kellogg, do you recommend going ahead and putting in for it. From looking at all the available info on the website, it doesn't seem like there's any difference in being a MMM applicant. In other words, do you think it's harder to apply to the program after getting accepted or to drop it before classes start (if that's even possible)?
Current Student
 Q45  V38
Send PM
gregarious wrote:
domtri33, quick question for you. If I'm still on the fence as far as whether to apply to MMM but definitely set on Kellogg, do you recommend going ahead and putting in for it. From looking at all the available info on the website, it doesn't seem like there's any difference in being a MMM applicant. In other words, do you think it's harder to apply to the program after getting accepted or to drop it before classes start (if that's even possible)?

The difference between being a MMM applicant and a 2y applicant is that you are applying for the MMM program and everyone else isn't. What I mean, is that if the admissions committee looks at your application and say, gee, strong MBA candidate, but not a strong MMM candidate, then you are going to get a ding, not a "sorry we didn't accept you for MMM, but as a consolation price we will let you into the 2y program. The rationale here is that they assume that you are genuinely passionate about the MEM degree and that if you are not admitted to Kellogg, you are more than likely going to end up at a dual degree program somewhere else like Ross or Sloan. Likewise, you cannot add MMM after you've applied and been accepted to the full time MBA. The program will already be filled with people that knew outright that they wanted the program.

My personnal opinion is that if you are on the fence you should perhaps wait and apply round two. The reason I say this is that there should be a MMM perspective student day sometime in October. This will give you time to come out and visit and get to meet a bunch of MMM students, faculty and alumni and really make an informed decision. Otherwise, if you are deadset on round one, I would say apply only to the 2y program. The last thing that you want is to take a MMM slot away from someone who really wants it, only to realize once you get started that perhaps its not something you really wanted to do.
Current Student
Send PM
Appreciate the advice. I'm definitely going to think more about MMM before deciding which round to apply in. There's still some time and I've got other apps to work on anyways. That's one thing that I like about the MIT LGO program is that they have a separate deadline in between Round 1 and Round 2, so it forces you to be committed before even applying, due to the timing.

BTW, saw your reply on the 2009 Military thread, glad that you're available for everyone, I'll try to get around to starting a new thread and hopefully we'll have as successful an app season as you all did last year.
Current Student
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Just for everyones edification, the class of 2011 MMM's include....2 anthropology majors, 1 physics major, 2 systems engineers, and more than a few non hard engineering backgrounds. In fact, we have a couple of previous PE guys who joined MMM because.."I did a lot of deals on the manufacturing/operations domain and we had to hire a bunch of engineers to tell us what the heck was going on...and then we had to hire a bunch of other people to tell us what the heck the engineers said!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
domtri33 wrote:
Just for everyones edification, the class of 2011 MMM's include....2 anthropology majors, 1 physics major, 2 systems engineers, and more than a few non hard engineering backgrounds. In fact, we have a couple of previous PE guys who joined MMM because.."I did a lot of deals on the manufacturing/operations domain and we had to hire a bunch of engineers to tell us what the heck was going on...and then we had to hire a bunch of other people to tell us what the heck the engineers said!!!

"I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people? "

Never gets old.
Current Student
 Q45  V38
Send PM
The MMM prospective student day is scheduled for 30 October. I do not have any other details for you right now, but will definately keep everyone posted as more information becomes available.

I highly encourage anyone interested in MMM to try and make a point of doing this event. Last year it was capped at 60 people, which was great because you really got a chance to meet a lot more people in a more indepth way than with a larger sized group.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg
Send PM
domtri33 wrote:
The MMM prospective student day is scheduled for 30 October. I do not have any other details for you right now, but will definately keep everyone posted as more information becomes available.

I highly encourage anyone interested in MMM to try and make a point of doing this event. Last year it was capped at 60 people, which was great because you really got a chance to meet a lot more people in a more indepth way than with a larger sized group.

A friend of mine is attending this event. He is wondering if anyone wants to book a hotel room together. The event offers a special rate at Hotel Orrington at $139 (single or double).

Anyone interested? You can pm me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Hi domtri33,

Any representations from the automotive industry in your class?

Also wanted to know how is MMM received by the auto industry?

Thanks,
Unplugged
Current Student
 Q45  V38
Send PM
unplugged wrote:
Hi domtri33,

Any representations from the automotive industry in your class?

Also wanted to know how is MMM received by the auto industry?

Thanks,
Unplugged

In our class there is one guy who came via Toyota. Overall, I don't have an immediate answer to your second question from the prospective of MMM. Overall, I know that historically, Toyota, Nissan, Ford and GM have all recruited on campus for both intership and full time positions.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2