Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
haha. I can't believe that within three weeks of starting solaris is prepared to admit that he should have lived where we told him.

There is no rivalry billyjeans - I know a huge number of people in the new class. Or more, a huge number of them know me, and I pretend I remember them.
VP
VP
Kudos
Oh he remembers everyone alright. And precisely who wore what when, too.

3underscore wrote:
Or more, a huge number of them know me, and I pretend I remember them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Another Round 1 here. Thank god for the slightly later deadline!

I'm an International applicant and I actually visited the STERN campus last year (I figured I'd be too far away during the admit season) and met some extremely helpful folks. Would the adcom mind if I talked about conversations I had with students over 8 months ago?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
Deepauk wrote:
Another Round 1 here. Thank god for the slightly later deadline!

I'm an International applicant and I actually visited the STERN campus last year (I figured I'd be too far away during the admit season) and met some extremely helpful folks. Would the adcom mind if I talked about conversations I had with students over 8 months ago?

Hey Deepauk - I think they will still appreciate it. Especially if it is people who do the tours, as they are very familiar with them and can perfectly understand why you would visit in the Spring and apply in the Fall. The admissions office is pretty tight knit, so they remember the ten or so students they work with for a year long after.

If it was 1st years you met, that works well too. But any student interaction shows an effort.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V47
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Especially if it is people who do the tours, as they are very familiar with them and can perfectly understand why you would visit in the Spring and apply in the Fall. The admissions office is pretty tight knit, so they remember the ten or so students they work with for a year long after.

I actually visited last fall, but as you said the people who conducted the tours and met with us were all first years, so I am sure the committee will recognize them. Thanks 3underscore!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
Send PM
NYU here I come, count me in for R1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Stern
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Quote:
Thank you for your interest in NYU Stern.

The Full-time application is currently undergoing annual updates. The updated application will be available in mid-August. The first deadline to apply for the Class of 2012 is November 15, 2009.
VP
VP
Kudos
Newsflash: Stern will be accepting GRE scores in lieu of the GMAT beginning with this admissions cycle.

https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/news/news.cfm?doc_id=101687
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
They posted the class profile. Average GMAT went up to 717 and GPA up to 3.5

80% ranges:

GPA: 3.0 - 3.8

GMAT: 680-760
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Stern
 Q45  V41
Send PM
online app open yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
I'm in for R1. This is definitely my top choice.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
Class2012 wrote:
Do Stern students live close by the univ? I looked at the on-campus housing and the rents appear too costly compared to what I'm paying now.

Class2012 - sadly, this can only be approached by saying "welcome to NYC rent". I think that the school dorm building is actually pretty reasonably priced, given that - in essence - it is a free utility and broadband doorman building with gym. The rooms are small, and personally I chose to go private.

The Stuy Town things are overpriced IMHO, but that is the property company that owns the buildings fault, not NYU's.

I recommend living near to school as it makes life easier, but living a short subway away is pretty common and hardly disruptive to life on campus. Living in the dorm does make a lot of friends easily though.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V47
Send PM
MMtrader wrote:
online app open yet?

Just saw an email that the online app is now available. Here is the link - https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/full ... doc_id=296
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Class2012 wrote:
Do Stern students live close by the univ? I looked at the on-campus housing and the rents appear too costly compared to what I'm paying now.

Class2012 - sadly, this can only be approached by saying "welcome to NYC rent". I think that the school dorm building is actually pretty reasonably priced, given that - in essence - it is a free utility and broadband doorman building with gym. The rooms are small, and personally I chose to go private.

The Stuy Town things are overpriced IMHO, but that is the property company that owns the buildings fault, not NYU's.

I recommend living near to school as it makes life easier, but living a short subway away is pretty common and hardly disruptive to life on campus. Living in the dorm does make a lot of friends easily though.

How much is the on-campus housing and how much did you save by not choosing the University housing? If I'm accepted (fingers crossed) I would think living in the dorms would be worth the convenience especially given how much time I would spend on campus anyways. Thanks for all the great feedback!
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
Relative to Stuy town, I saved a fortune. I got a pretty average deal for an apartment in the East Village - my 1 bed is probably a little more expensive than the school dorm when utilities and cable are included, but it isn't much.

I doubt you would get far bargaining for a rent decrease from NYU as well, but it works with landlords.

If you are international, it is virtually a certainty you will have to live in either NYU accommodation, some form of sublet or in Jersey. The need for a FICO score to get a place in NYC is critical, and you may need to put down a huge deposit if you don't have a guarantor (and they have to be in NY state as well, because they are crazy like that).

School accommodation saves a lot of hassle, but is at a little bit of a premium as a result.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
A Palladium single works out to around $1680 a month - a nice, but crowded gym is located downstairs and all utilities are included. The single is probably 250-270 sq. ft, however. It makes good sense if you're planning to intern outside of New York because they offer leases in terms of 4.5 months each, plus the summer. Besides, you don't have to buy any furniture. The drawbacks are that the rooms are tiny, it feels a little too much like college, and the building is swarming with undergrads (yes, that is a bad thing!). Moreover, the Palladium isn't exactly *on* campus. It's close by, but make sure your expectations are reasonable.

The Stuy-Town apartments work out to $4200 a month (unless I'm horribly mistaken and the semester charge is actually the rate for a full-year lease) but you can share the apartment with a spouse/roommate. A terrible, terrible deal in this market.

Most students I've met so far who've found housing on their own are paying between $1100 to $3400 a month. Yes, we actually do talk about how much rent everyone is paying. :)

theoutlawfades wrote:
How much is the on-campus housing and how much did you save by not choosing the University housing? If I'm accepted (fingers crossed) I would think living in the dorms would be worth the convenience especially given how much time I would spend on campus anyways. Thanks for all the great feedback!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  54