Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

Please address why NOW is the optimal time for an MBA instead of a few years later?

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Hjort,
Thanks for your question. Going to HBS has been my dream for four years now. I have been working hard to succeed in an American college, take on some leadership opportunities both at school and at work, and develop a solid reputation among my peers.

I am planning to continue developing myself as a person, a scholar and a business woman, so I guess in that sense I will be a better candidate in the eyes of the HBS admissions committee two or three years from now. However, I strongly believe that I can bring a unique and valuable experience in its classroom now. Additionally, I think that getting the HBS experience sooner rather than later will only further my personal and career growth.
Thanks, Nadia :)
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

Thanks for responding. From the outset, it is important to note that I am a strong proponent of chronological diversity in MBA programs. Indeed, the fewer nongermane restrictions we place on education, the better off we are as a society. While I appreciate your comments I would like to see a "sharper" rationale for admission directly from college. Specifically, what is the marginal utility of attending now relative to attending three or four years later? How we you make use of your education in the next few years that makes attending "early" especially valuable in your case?
Is attending HBS an end or a means to some other end?

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Hjort,

I have certain goals for my business career. I see little benefit in waiting to 2-3 years to start working on achieving these goals.

So, do you think I have a reasonable chance of being accepted to HBS one year after college?
Thanks, Nadia
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
nadia0410 wrote:
Hi Linda,

Thank you very much for your reply. My extra-curricular activities have some leadership experience. I am not sure if it is enough to be accepted to HBS though.
By the time I graduate in May 2005:
I will have been a co-president in my school's investment club for two years. My duties include helping new members become more familiar with the investment field (specifically personal investments), managing the club’s funds (we have real money!), organizing marketing and advertising campaigns and signing trades.

I was a volunteer tutor at a local youth organization (for 6 month). I taught disadvantaged kids math and science.

I did fundraising research for a local homeless shelter (for 6 month).

I was a photographer and later an assistant business manager for my school’s yearbook (1.5 years total).

I was a tutor for computer science and economics classes while I was taking those classes (2 semesters total).

I was a volunteer usher at my school Annual Women’s Leadership Conference with Carly Fiorina, Whoopy Goldberg and Jane Fonda (1 semester total including workshops)

Could you please let me know if this extra-curricular work is good enough to apply to HBS?

Thanks, Nadia
:)

Nadia,

Your extra-curriculars are fine and do evidence leadership, especially your co-presidency of the schools' investment club. Obviously, I can't say for sure if your work experience and extra-curriculars are good enough to get you into Harvard straight out of college. I can say that if HBS will accept someone straight out of college, it will be someone like you -- extensive internships, extra-curricular leadership role(s), high GPA, and a competitive GMAT.

At the same time I have to issue the following caveat, if you apply now and are rejected, then I would advise you to wait two years to reapply to HBS.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Linda,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sincerely, Nadia
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

I obviously cannot tell you what to do, but based on the profile and interests you described I would throw the dice and see what happens.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Hjort! :wink:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]