Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4154 [25]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [7]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: marketing
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a series of wa [#permalink]
Expert Reply
a) "it" can refer to "performance" or "series". Even if "it" refers to "series", it distorts meaning: "a series before every performance" rather than "series" itself reduces the chance of injury.

c) you are right, it is a clause. (+1)

-----------
Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3892 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a series of wa [#permalink]
why not D....I guess routine is reducing....IMO D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
reply2spg wrote:

I might be completely wrong but

Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a series of warmup and stretching exercises
and
the routine reduces the chance of injury

are two independent clauses so you need a coordinator, a subordinator or a semicolon to join them
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3892 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a series of warmup and stretching exercises, and it reduces the chance of injury.

a) exercises, and it reduces
b) exercises, which reduces
c) exercises, reducing
d) exercises, the routine reduces
e) exercises, so the routine reduces

However, I think C is more confusing for me (May be I am wrong). Reducing doesn't have clear reference. Seems like Reducing is modifying to exercises. Who is reducing the chance of injury? Stretching exercise or series of warmup? or Just warm up routine is reducing chances.

As you said there might be a possibility of run on sentence, I don't think so, because "The routine reduces the chance of injury" can be independant sentence only when it clearly specifies which routine, and first of the sentence does the exact thing.

OA please

mikeCoolBoy wrote:
reply2spg wrote:

I might be completely wrong but

Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a series of warmup and stretching exercises
and
the routine reduces the chance of injury

are two independent clauses so you need a coordinator, a subordinator or a semicolon to join them
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
my 2 cents
Which need not always refer to the nearest noun, if the noun preceeding which is either object of gerund, infinitive or any other verb form then which can refer to the subject of the preceeding clause.
Here "doing a series of ....and ...." so if we consider series of exercises as object of doing then which can refer to "warm up...". So even B looks like a possible answer

please comment
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
perfectstranger wrote:
Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a series of warmup and stretching exercises, and it reduces the chance of injury.

a) exercises, and it reduces
b) exercises, which reduces
c) exercises, reducing
d) exercises, the routine reduces
e) exercises, so the routine reduces

Please explain in a detailed way.Nice explanation will be appreciated with kudos :)) . OA after explanations.

EDIT by walker: please, underline tested part.

C for me
A - pronoun error (it)
D - run-on sentence - if it were "the routine reducing", D would be an attractive choice
E - ..., so ... distort the meaning by reversing cause and effect.
because of reducing injury, they do warm up

B and C are close.
But I choose C because "Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance" is the true factor that reduces that injury
In B, how can just a series of warmup reduce an injury? It should contain a word that demonstrates "routine," such as everyday
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
 Q50  V27 GMAT 2: 710  Q50  V35
GPA: 8.13
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Send PM
A single concept kills this question quickly.

Lets have an analysis of the situation.

An "-ing" can also be used to state the effect of the previous clause and it does modify the whole clause.Lets understand this by an example.

Despite the insistence of Irish officials that only its banks need additional help, investors continue to bet on an Irish rescue, driving down the bond yields on that country’s debt against a benchmark again on Monday.

You may observe that the action of Investors to continue betting on Irish rescue caused the bond yields to drop.

Applying the same concept to our question,

Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a series of warmup and stretching exercises, reducing the chance of injury.

The series of warmup and stretching exercises--> will reduce the chance of injury. This prevention of injury is the outcome of exercises.

Correct me if I am mistaken
Thanks !! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
I picked C because I liked the word reducing which I found to be the correct choice due to parallel structure. I saw the author use "doing" earlier in the sentence so I thought that choice B would match up in grammatical structure and it also sounded good and concise as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
(A) exercises, and it reduces - Wrong. 'It' seems to refer to dancer.
(B) exercises, which reduces : which reduce could have been a correct choice, but 'which reduces' is wrong
(C) exercises, reducing - correct.
(D) exercises, the routine reduces :- comma is wrong as it joins two independent clauses
(E) exercises, so the routine reduces - grammatically correct, but not so good in meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
This is a good example for a cause-effect sentence.

Cause: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a series of warmup and stretching exercises
Effect: reducing the chance of injury

Cause....., effect starting with 'ing' word.

Example:
The rains were extremely heavy, causing great damage to crops.
Notice the 'ing' in the word causing.

Hence, C fits perfectly here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
Not able to choose between C and D. what does reducing modify in c and why is D wrong apart from saying its ambiguous.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [1]
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Rrkan,

'reducing' modifies 'warm up' it's the warm up that reduces the chance of injury. (this is common sense as well as grammatical sense)

D is wrong, because as others have said there are 2 independent clauses in it, which should be separated by a ; .

Read through the prior answers, they give some good explanations...
James
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Rrkan,

'reducing' modifies 'warm up' it's the warm up that reduces the chance of injury. (this is common sense as well as grammatical sense)

D is wrong, because as others have said there are 2 independent clauses in it, which should be separated by a ; .

Read through the prior answers, they give some good explanations...
James

Hi James.

I think "reducing" is put after exercises with a comma. It should modify a previous clause with a meaningful subject. I'm not convinced by C cause I think the routine would reduce injury. Please clarify. Thank you.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2284 [0]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
perfectstranger wrote:

(A) exercises, and it reduces
(B) exercises, which reduces
(C) exercises, reducing
(D) exercises, the routine reduces
(E) exercises, so the routine reduces

Please explain in a detailed way.Nice explanation will be appreciated with kudos :)) . OA after explanations.

EDIT by walker: please, underline tested part.

Hi,

Clearly option A, B and E can be ruled out because of various reasons pointed out.
in Option B, which is used in place "Stretching and Warm up exercises" ie. plural and the verb for "which" should be reduce.

In option C, reducing.....modifies the preceding clause by providing additional information as to how Salsa dancers achieve that. The sentence means that Salsa dancers reduce the chances of Injury by doing warm and stretching exercises. The sentence makes sense.

In Option D ------> The routine reduces makes a Independent clause which is not connected to first IC correctly.

A semicolon would be a much better option. Another way, the Option D could have been written "the routine that reduces...." which means noun+noun modifier construction modifying the noun " warm and stretching exercises"

Option C looks a better option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Still confused... think its B. Non essential clauses generally start with which.. that should be the case here.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
shashanksagar wrote:
Still confused... think its B. Non essential clauses generally start with which.. that should be the case here.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Hi,
I will try to explain what is wrong with b

Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a series of warmup and stretching exercises,and it reduces the chance of injury.

(B) exercises, which reduces

which here refers to 'exercises'
1. if we see grammatically then plural noun + singular verb(reduces) wrong.
2. If we understand logically then 'warm up' before performance reduces the chance of injury not exercises.

Let me know if it helped :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Could someone please explain why option E is incorrect?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts