Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2573 [339]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [97]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [35]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [30]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO D

(A) Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there

which refers to sediments. The sediments cannot be consistent with the growth of industrial activity. out

(B) Baltic Sea sediments, where the growth of industrial activity is consistent with these findings

where refers to sediments which are not a place. out

(C) Baltic Sea sediments, findings consistent with its growth of industrial activity
its has no clear antecedent, perhaps Baltic Sea? can a sea have growth of industrial activity? out

(D) sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area
correct

(E) sediments from the Baltic Sea, consistent with the growth of industrial activity there
consistent seems to modify the previous clause. In addition there has no clear reference. It can refer to Baltic Sea but as It's already been said the sea has not growth of industrial activity.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters of Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there.

A. Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there “,which” implies that “Baltic Sea sediments” are consistent with the growth of industrial activity. The original sentence is referring to “large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits”

B. Baltic Sea sediments, where the growth of industrial activity is consistent with these findings “,where” implies that “Baltic Sea sediments” are consistent with the growth of industrial activity. The original sentence is referring to “large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits”

C. Baltic Sea sediments, findings consistent with its growth of industrial activity Unclear what “its” refers to.

D. sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area The intended meaning is clear.

E. sediments from the Baltic Sea, consistent with the growth of industrial activity there It is not clear what “there” refers to.

- Nitha Jay
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
rohansherry wrote:
Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters of Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there.

(A) Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there

(B) Baltic Sea sediments, where the growth of industrial activity is consistent with these findings

(C) Baltic Sea sediments, findings consistent with its growth of industrial activity

(D) sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area

(E) sediments from the Baltic Sea, consistent with the growth of industrial activity there

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters of sediments from the Baltic Sea, and these observations are findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Pronouns

• "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.
• "where" is only used to refer to a physical location.

A: This answer choice suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronoun "there" lacks a logical referent. Further, Option A incorrectly refers to "Baltic Sea sediments" with the phrase "which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity", illogically implying that the Baltic Sea sediments are consistent with the growth of industrial activity; the intended meaning is that the scientists' observations regarding large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits are consistent with the growth of industrial activity; please remember, "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to "Baltic Sea sediments" with "where"; please remember, "where" is only used to refer to a physical location.

C: This answer choice suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronoun "its" lacks a logical referent.

D: Correct. This answer choice avoids the pronoun errors seen in Options A, B, C, and E, as it employs no pronouns. Further, Option D uses the phrase "findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area", conveying the intended meaning - that the scientists' observations regarding large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits are consistent with the growth of industrial activity.

E: This answer choice suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronoun "there" lacks a logical referent.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Which, Who. Whose, and Where" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Baltic sea sediments is a wrong usage.It should be sediments from Baltic sea..

similar examples-I talked to the Indian soldier(Too Short)
I talked to the soldier from India(Better)

ural mountain ore ore from the ural mountain
Aegean sea salt salt from Aegean sea

Ergo A,B,C is not correct.

so now it is between D and E.
E is wrong because of "there"

Ergo D is the answer..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [11]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

First, I disagree with some previous posters. I believe the prepositional phrases should be disregarded and which refers to concentrations.

**EDIT (Oct 13, 2012): using are after which refers the reader to the most recent plural noun (sediments). In my original comment, I misspoke. The way the sentence is originally stated (and in option choice A), which are refers to sediments, but this isn't logical and it's understood that it wasn't the author's intent. The author intends to refer to the scientists' observation, which commands a singular verb (in other words, we need which is). Note that although the scientists observed concentrations (plural), their observation (singular) is what the relative clause beginning with which refers to.**

The phrase which are consistent with the growth doesn't match large concentrations. Growth cannot be consistent with concentrations (nor can it be consistent with sediments, centimeters, or deposits, for that matter). Also, Baltic Sea sediments isn't perfectly clear because Baltic Sea is a noun, not an adjective. In conversational speech, we often use nouns as adjectives, but it's not proper.

Baltic Sea sediments is not a place, so where has no application here. Also, the ending is awkwardly worded. Findings are consistent with facts, not the other way around. Again, Baltic Sea sediments is improper.

its has no logical referent. Again, Baltic Sea sediments is improper.

This sounds all right.

Scientists observing concentrations can't be consistent with growth.

Originally posted by NonYankee on 07 Jul 2012, 00:40.
Last edited by NonYankee on 13 Oct 2012, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Bookmarks
This is one of those booby traps that the GMAT folks try to trick you on.

The general rule is that an -ING verb positioned there modifies the subject.

But do we have an -ING verb?

Initially, it might LOOK like an -ING verb---but actually it's used as a NOUN.

The key is to notice the 's' at the end of FINDINGS. This tells us that we are dealing with a noun here.

Also, if you flip it - it doesn't make sense:

"Findings consistent with the growth of X, scientists have observed..." - it does not make sense for the descriptive phrase to modify the subject SCIENTISTS. Therefore, we know this is not the -ING verb that modifies the subject.

So keep in mind - look out for -ING verbs as possible descriptive phrases modifying the subject - but also be wary of booby traps--cases in which the -ING word is NOT used as a descriptive phrase. In this case, it's used as a noun that further describes what the scientists have observed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
egmat wrote:
This is a good modifier question: You may view video solution below. This contains detailed explanation of why original choice is wrong and why other incorrect choices are incorrect.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXah1HdaiV0[/youtube]

solo1234 wrote:
In answer D. may you explain why "findings",a noun, can go together with "consistent", an adj, without "be". Thanks

You ask a very good question about the correct answer choice. It is a very good practice to thoroughly review the structure of the correct answer choice. The correct answer choice in this case utilizes a modifier that is called as Noun + Noun Modifier. Here "findings" is the noun part and "consistent with..." is the noun modifier of this noun. I suggest you review the article here for more details on this modifier. It would present a lot more clarity.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Payal

it is difficult for me to understand why B is wrong?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The easiest way to eliminate B is that where is used to modify a place. Baltic Sea sediments is not a place; it is a thing (in lack of better word).

The way where is used in this sentence, it is a relative pronoun. The relative pronouns have many characteristics that are tested on GMAT. For example, the relative pronouns that and which cannot modify people and many other things.

p.s. These have been discussed in detail in our book. If you can PM me your mail id, I can send the corresponding section to you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I am elaborating choice D in full:
Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters of sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings (findings is an appositive modifier standing for large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits) (that are) consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area. The highlighted portions are required to be understood.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Expert,

I went through all the posts but I am unable to find clear answers for my doubts below.

1. In the original sentence, "which" refers to??
-- I think which refers to "concentrations of deposits" because we have a long prepositional modifier after concentrations.
Please confirm if my understanding is correct. I find this to be inconsistent with e-gmat solution where they mentioned that "which" refers to "Sediments".

2. Whats the real difference between "Baltic sea sediments" and "Sediments from baltic sea" ??
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RMD007 wrote:
Expert,

I went through all the posts but I am unable to find clear answers for my doubts below.

1. In the original sentence, "which" refers to??
-- I think which refers to "concentrations of deposits" because we have a long prepositional modifier after concentrations.
Please confirm if my understanding is correct. I find this to be inconsistent with e-gmat solution where they mentioned that "which" refers to "Sediments".

2. Whats the real difference between "Baltic sea sediments" and "Sediments from baltic sea" ??

1. It does not matter, what "which" refers to. In either case ("concentrations of deposits" / "sediments") the sentence is wrong. The finding is consistent, not concentrations of deposits or sediments. However to answer your question, ideally "which" refers to "sediments" (modifier touch rule).

2. Both mean the same.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RMD007 wrote:
Whats the real difference between "Baltic sea sediments" and "Sediments from baltic sea" ??

Indeed not much difference in terms of meaning. From a Grammar perspective, in the phrase Baltic sea sediments, the word Baltic sea is used as an adjective. In other words, Baltic sea (in the phrase Baltic sea sediments) seems to depict a type of sediment.

This is what tilts the balance against it; we can have coarse sediment, alluvial sediment etc. but not Baltic sea sediments (Baltic sea is not an attribute but a place that the sediments are from).

Again, this is not something that you should be phenomenally concerned about (and GMAT is actually flexible also on this front).

However, since a vertical scan of choices does show this split in this sentence, it's one of the factors you could use to finalize the write answer.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [2]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos