Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Pronounsx   Punctuationx   Subject Verb Agreementx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [1007]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [577]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [361]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [165]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
datatrader wrote:
Thank you GMATNinja, but I am positing that A is incorrect (not just more concise). A has an incorrect parallelism issue. It would have to read: "extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than they were.... Otherwise, it incorrectly compares "its numbers" with "when the use of DDT was sharply restricted." Am I reading this incorrectly? Would love souvik101990 to weigh in with the source of this Q and reasoning behind OA. I always find it strange when the data reveals overwhelming support for a "wrong" answer (49% chose E vs. 34% for A).

Sadly, (A) is unambiguously the correct answer. It's an official question, straight from the official GMAT verbal guide. And keep in mind that when you take an actual, adaptive GMAT, the test is trying to find the level of question at which you get roughly half of the questions right -- so if this is a 700-level question, we'd expect close to half of the test-takers who get 700s to get it wrong. And in a broader population, we might expect much more than half to miss a really hard question, unfortunately.

Anyway, here are (A) and (E) again:

Quote:
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970's.

(A) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than
(E) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than what they were

Let me come at (E) from a different direction this time. Sorry friends, I was a little bit lazy above in basically saying "hey, you really don't need the extra words" in (E). But there's a more technical problem: "what" is trying to act as some sort of pronoun in (E), and I don't think that works. "What" can occasionally be used as a pronoun in a non-question (technically, a relative pronoun if you like jargon), but when it is used as a pronoun, it basically is a singular phrase that means "the things that." So these two sentences would be OK:

• "What I did after drinking 17 beers last night was regrettable." --> In other words, "the things that I did last night [were] regrettable." Grammatically, that works fine.
  • "Mike couldn't believe what he saw on the beach in Chile." --> Mike couldn't believe "the things that he saw" on the beach. That also works fine.

But in (E)? We have "its numbers are now five times greater than the things that they were when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970's." And that doesn't quite make sense.

Honestly, I agree with the heart of what some of you are arguing here. If the sentence said "it's numbers are now five times greater than they were when the use of DDT was sharply restricted...", then I'd be happier. That would set up the comparison nicely. But that's not one of our options, and the word "what" turns (E) into a mess.

In (A), the key is that the comparison isn't fundamentally illogical or confusing -- even though I agree that it would be clearer if "they were" were added. We're directly comparing the numbers in two different time periods: "its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970's." Logically, that actually makes perfect sense, and the GMAT would argue that there's no need to repeat "they were," because it's clear enough (at least in the GMAT's view) that we're comparing those two time periods. And adding the phrase "what they were" would definitely be wrong in (E), for the reasons I explained above.

To be fair: this one is tricky, and I can't really understand why the GMAT thinks it's important to test these concepts. But (A) is unambiguously correct, sadly.

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [35]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970’s.

(B) extinction; its numbers are now five times more than
(C) extinction, their numbers now fivefold what they were
(D) extinction, now with fivefold the numbers they had
(E) extinction, now with numbers five times greater than

Primarily we need to understand that with GMAT we need to pick the best from the options available to us.

By POE we can eliminate the following:
C- "their numbers" does not match with the singularity of "the gryfalcon"
D- the same reason as C
E- numbers does not refer to anything specific.

We are now stuck with A & B . Now its between "greater than" and "more than".
When comparing number we do not say four is more than two, instead we say four is greater than two".
In this context we are comparing numbers hence we can eliminate B too.
So A is the OA.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [23]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The subject is gyrfalcon, a singular. So their numbers in C and they in D are wrong, not withstanding the grammar of using the comma itself in these cases. In addition five folds are not the same as five times greater. Five folds are 5x (original x + four folds) while five times greater is 6x (original x+ five times). This subtle point adds a significant alteration to the intent.

In E, the intent is altered by using the preposition with, as if the bird of prey has survived the close brush with extinction because of the five fold numbers now. On the contrary the original passage implies that five time greater number is the result of the survival rather than the cause of the survival.

B is dumped for using the inappropriate comparison term more to denote a countable plural subject numbers.

This leaves the original one as the right choice, which uses the correct description greater than for the countable plural subject of numbers.

If somebody claims Answer is E, I am bound to repudiate.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [7]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
boeinz wrote:
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970s.

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the gyrfalcon is an Arctic bird of prey that has survived a close brush with extinction, as evidenced by the fact that its numbers are now five times greater than its numbers when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970s.

Concepts tested here: Pronouns + Modifiers + Meaning + Idioms

• In the “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.
• “greater” is preferred over “more” for referring to numbers/figures/data; in this sentence, the term “count” represents a figure and thus, “greater” is the correct usage.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the singular pronoun “its” to refer to the singular noun “the gyrfalcon”. Further, Option A correctly uses the term “greater” to refer to the quantifiable term “numbers”. Additionally, Option A avoids the modifier error seen in Options D and E by using the independent clause “its numbers are now five times greater than…1970s”; in doing so Option A conveys the intended meaning of the sentence- that the gyrfalcon is an Arctic bird of prey that has survived a close brush with extinction, as evidenced by the fact that its numbers are now five times greater than its numbers when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970s.

B: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly uses the term “more” rather than “greater” to refer to “numbers”; please remember, “greater” is preferred over “more” for referring to numbers/figures/data.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the plural pronoun “their” to refer to the singular noun “The gyrfalcon”.

D: This answer choice incorrectly modifies “close brush with extinction” using “now with fivefold the numbers they had…1970s”, illogically implying that close brush with extinction has fivefold the numbers the gyrfalcon had when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970s.; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the gyrfalcon is an Arctic bird of prey that has survived a close brush with extinction, as evidenced by the fact that its numbers are now five times greater than its numbers when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970s; please remember, in a “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

E: This answer choice incorrectly modifies “close brush with extinction” using “now with numbers five times greater than…1970s”, illogically implying that close brush with extinction has fivefold the numbers the gyrfalcon had when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970s; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the gyrfalcon is an Arctic bird of prey that has survived a close brush with extinction, as evidenced by the fact that its numbers are now five times greater than its numbers when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970s; please remember, in a “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
boeinz wrote:
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970's.

Certainly a tricky question. Here is my take on it:

The sentence tells us that the gyrfalcon has survived a close brush with extinction. Its numbers now are five times greater than the numbers in early 1970’s.

We are using gyrfalcon as singular so a pronoun reference to it must be singular too. Options (C) and (D) use ‘their’ and ‘they’ to refer to the gyrfalcon so both these options are incorrect.

Options (A) and (B) are very similar. (A) uses ‘greater than’ and (B) uses ‘more than.’ To compare the magnitude of numbers, we have learned that we use ‘greater than.’ Hence (B) is incorrect. We can use ‘more’ with numbers in a different context. Say ‘I am unable to analyse the financials of this company. I need to know some more of its numbers.’

Between (A) and (E) was a tough call.
Option (A) is clean and correct. When comparing something over two different time periods, we often give just the time period after the comparison.
For example, ‘Today she is happier than yesterday.’

Hence, (A) is perfectly acceptable. Further in (A), two independent clauses are correctly joined with a semi colon.

On the other hand, (E) is vague. We are not given exactly what the numbers are. (A) tells us they are the bird’s numbers. But (E) just says ‘with numbers…’
Also, the first clause says that the bird has survived the brush with extinction and uses present perfect to show that it has survived. To give a current fact with simple present, it does make more sense to use a new clause. Mind you, I wouldn’t outright reject option (E). Just that (A) is better and clearer and hence would prefer it.

Answer (A)
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 325 [9]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Management Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks for the reply. However, what puzzles me here is why "extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than" is grammatically correct. I was expecting it to be "extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than they were". To me "they were" seems like missing from the OA. So my question is what rule is it that enables the writer not to say "they were" here.

Thanks again,

Superfreak
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [18]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
In GMAT when we find "numbers" in a comparison, we should use "greater than" and not "more than"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [19]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
superfreak wrote:
Hi Jade3. Thanks for your response. You say:

Yes you can write "greater than they were" instead of "greater than" when you are comparing numbers

Is it just when comparing numbers? As a non native speaker I am looking for mechanical, non-intuitive methods when possible. Can you point me to some rule here? The reason I am so concerned here is because I have a feeling that I came across the same structure in some other questions as well.

Thanks,

superfreak

You will be required to make sure that the sentence compares like items.

Ex: “Samuel Sewall, like the views of other seventeenth-century colonists, viewed marriage as a property arrangement rather than as an emotional bond based on romantic love”

Notice that the above sentence attempts to compare a “person with the views of a contemporary group of people”. That is illogical. We need to compare between people and people or between views with views

You can fix the above sentence as “Samuel Sewall, like other seventeenth-century colonists, viewed marriage as a property arrangement rather than as an emotional bond based on romantic love.”

Now let us take the original question:

The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970’s.

Make a habit of looking at the underlined part of the sentence for clues, and make sure that the choice you choose is logical, effective, parallel and concise. Here in the above sentence we have “when….” Which clearly indicates a time in the past. The sentence actually is comparing the present time (“now”) to past time (“when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970’s”). That is logical. Hence the correct answer

- Correct
-“Greater than” is preferred to “more than”. Hence incorrect
- “their” has no referent. Hence incorrect
-“they” has no clear referent
-the prepositional phrase “with numbers five times” is wrongly modifying “now”. Hence incorrect.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [5]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos