Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
well i suppose you don't have to actually be a minority -- but no matter what, you'll need to be able to prove that you've helped underrepresented minorities advance in business either through an extracurricular, through your work, through your personal experiences, etc. That is an entire question.

there is no negative stigma -- it really can only help you. however, you can only apply to a maximum of 6 consortium schools, and you'll need to rank your order of preference.

Think about the rank carefully. you most likely will not get into your last ranked school at all (the schools see your ranking and the last ranked school knows you probably won't attend, even if you get in. This affects their yield.)

PM me with more questions if you have any.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Re: CONSORTIUM (CGSM) - can someone elaborate? [#permalink]
sorry for bumping this.. i had read about the consortium but i guess i never really full understood it (i still dont). basically you fill out 1 common app and you can get into various schools with it? i read on one of the pages that you need to go through 2 interviews.. one for the consortium and one for the school itself. doesnt this make it harder to get into a school rather than easier?

are there any specific groups that should apply via the consortium? (URM's, young people, old people, etc.)

since i just found out about it.. am i too late in the game for consideration for fall 2010?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: CONSORTIUM (CGSM) - can someone elaborate? [#permalink]
Kudos
I've been very busy with school but when I get a chance I'll do something comprehensive for Consortium Applicants. Also feel free to PM if you've got any specifics.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
cma762 wrote:
i know the Consortium used to only be open to people of color but now they have opened the application to everyone.
Based on what you have said, should a person from a non-underrepresented group even bother applying thru them?
Also, are there any types of negative connotations regarding an app thru consortium? How do schools look upon this?

And on the flip side, is there anything about applying thru the consortium that makes your app more appealing to schools?

thanks!

I know what you are trying to say, but it is based around supporting underrepresented minorities, which is not necessarily the same as your first statement and has to be noted.

There is no negative connotation to applying through the consortium. I know a lot get in to NYU each year, and the school is very proud of its involvement with the consortium.

The appeal is one application, a network of support, possible scholarships, lower application fees. It is a great thing.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: [#permalink]