Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [113]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [4]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4615 [3]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Re: 570 (Q30, V38) to 760 (Q49, V44) in 3 months (long) [#permalink]
Kudos
Congrats on super score. all the best for the app process.

thanks for the debrief.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks man.

Verbal strategy is tricky. I basically just did a lot of problems from OG and the GMAT SETS that people have referred to on this and various other boards. I started off with the OG because they have explanations. The key is, like I mentioned in the post, reviewing not only the questions you get wrong but also the ones you get right - when you review the questions you got right, you should just look to fully understand why every answer choice you did not choose was wrong. Oftentimes, you miss the key reason why an answer choice was wrong or you miss 1-2 of the 2-3 reasons why an answer choice is wrong. Error recognition -> process of elimination was my primary strategy, which got me to a v48 in my second (not a re-take) GMAT Prep.

After you feel like you've mastered the OG, you can go on to use the GMAT SETS for additional practice. By that point, you should be well-versed enough to figure out the explanation for any wrong/right answer choices.

For RC and CR, it's really all about staying close to the text. If you have to make any additional assumptions or jumps in logic, you're going too far. You will figure this out after you've done 200-300 problems for both :). I never took any notes - I tried it for about 3 weeks and found it really slowed me down and hurt my V score in my MGMAT CATs and abandoned it after that. I read each RC passage ONCE carefully and then referred back to it when necessary. Same with CR, although I will say that initially taking notes on CR really helped me to be confident when identifying the conclusion of each passage (which is one of the key skills for CR).

As for the books, I had the MGMAT books but didn't find them to be too useful. The key strategy they preach is note-taking and for me, personally, that didn't work.

Long and short: do problems, review the explanations and understand why explanations are correct vs. incorrect to train your error recognition abilities, use POE and then follow-up with practice on SETS or 1000 series.

exekutive wrote:
Nice post understudy!!
The post shows your hardwork!!

I will be taking my real GMAT test in a months test.
Can you please share Verbal Strategies/Tips you followed in detail ?
What books you followed and what strategies have been very representative and very close to the answer while doing practice. It would be helpful for me.

I like the point in which you mentioned to have all the OG explanations for SC in finger tips.
Sometimes i could recognize myself, after getting correct answer for a question that i have identified 1 error that have lead all the way to correct answers somehow.
But infact we should be well prepared to find out all the errors in a question to make sure that we are not leading to any of the wrong answers.

What would be ideal time to utilize the GMAT prep test 1 & 2.

Thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks understudy!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Nice Post!!
I have given my GMAT a week ago and got 560. Score(Q 49/V 19). I am planning to give GMAT again. I have not decided date yet. Verbal is my weak area and dont know how to improve it.
I have gone through IMS material, OG 12 edition, Kaplan 800 and Manhattan for Sentence Correction.
Can you please guide me what strategy should I follow to improve my score on Verbal. I need to improve it more than double.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Quant: Do problems and own the problems. I went from a Q30 to a consistent Q50 by doing somewhere around 800-1,000 quant problems. My history in math is a bit unique though and I can offer up more details if anyone is interested in how to move from a Q30 to Q50.

Wow!!! That's something. Please shed some light on how you did it. I got a 36 in Quants, how can I bump that up? Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Kudos
Much kudos for the huge improvements on the Q part.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q50  V35
Send PM
Kudos
Hi understudy,

Could you please say exactly what is MGMAT’s timing schedule?

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
yesiwill wrote:
Quant: Do problems and own the problems. I went from a Q30 to a consistent Q50 by doing somewhere around 800-1,000 quant problems. My history in math is a bit unique though and I can offer up more details if anyone is interested in how to move from a Q30 to Q50.

Wow!!! That's something. Please shed some light on how you did it. I got a 36 in Quants, how can I bump that up? Thanks!

Hi - here's a message I wrote to someone else asking for insight into my studying process:

The key is studying and owning the problems. You should maintain an Excel tracker of every single quant problem that you do with the following:

1. Correct/incorrect
2. Timing (amount over or under 2:00)
3. Any notes relating to why you go the answer wrong or why you spent too long answering the question

You can do grouped sets of 10-30 OG problems at once. If you're not doing well (i.e. you're going well above the 2:00 mark on all problems and/or are getting over 1/3rd of the problems in a set wrong), don't continue to do more problems until you clearly understand why you got each problem wrong or why you spent too long on each problem. The goal should be, within a reasonable limit, to own every problem you do. You need to understand the fundamentals and basics tied into each problem, everything from a conceptual understanding of how it's solved to the basic arithmetic principles needed in order to quickly solve the problem. Deep practice is critical. If you haven't done all of the In-Action problems in the MGMAT guides (they're at the end of each chapter), I'd recommend that you do them as they are really good for building a strong fundamental understanding of concepts.

So do this until you've exhausted all of the OG problems. When you're done with all of the OG problems, go back and re-do every problem that you either got wrong or spent more than 2:20 on. Since you will have studied those problems on the first go-around and taken notes on why you got them wrong, your results should improve greatly on the second time around.

When you've done this with all of the OG problems, you should take a MGMAT CAT and see how your Q score is doing. If it's in the Q47+ range, you can probably move on to either Sackmann's extreme challenge questions or, better yet, the 400 problems I mentioned in my post. The guy who writes the 400 problems is really flaky unfortunately but you should eventually be able to get a hold of him if you're persistent with the emails.

If you're still not yet in the Q47 range, perhaps a third round across the OG problems as well as a thorough review of every Q problem in every CAT that you've done.

Anyhow - I think you get the point . Essentially, it's purely a function of being determined, driven and hungry to destroy this exam and then channeling that determination into a study strategy that gets you deep into every problem set.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
PriyankaGupta wrote:
Nice Post!!
I have given my GMAT a week ago and got 560. Score(Q 49/V 19). I am planning to give GMAT again. I have not decided date yet. Verbal is my weak area and dont know how to improve it.
I have gone through IMS material, OG 12 edition, Kaplan 800 and Manhattan for Sentence Correction.
Can you please guide me what strategy should I follow to improve my score on Verbal. I need to improve it more than double.

Hi - take a look at the key takeaways section of my post and my response to Execkutive. If you have any additional specific questions happy to answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [7]
Send PM
Kudos