Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Stern
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Funny. I have a 1 bed for less than MMTrader's estimate for a tiny studio. Rents in NYC get blown out of all proportion, as you can spend $6000/month on a studio, and $2000 on a two bed. Obviously, there is a big difference in sq ft, the quality and the locale...

I know most people seem to end in the $1000-$1600 for a room in an apartment range. I think they are a bit crazy at the upper end of this, but it is their money. Depends what you need (and some people think they need a lot of things that they don't at Business School).
Intern
Intern
 Q45  V41
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Funny. I have a 1 bed for less than MMTrader's estimate for a tiny studio. Rents in NYC get blown out of all proportion, as you can spend $6000/month on a studio, and $2000 on a two bed.

I haven't been in the rental market in a while, I guess things came down more than I would have expected. What neighborhood do you live in?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Stern, SOM, CBS
Send PM
Hey! Any re-applications applying this time around? If so how many essays are you guys submitting?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
count me in for NYU this cycle as well. from reading posts on this thread, i think if i get in, i'll have to find a place in the area. i'm from NJ (just about a 25-30 min trip via bus + train door to door), but it seems i'd be better served living in the area. good luck to everyone else applying
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2012
 Q48  V48
GPA: 3.74
WE 1: GM, Diversified Financial Svcs.
WE 2: Sales & Trading
Send PM
Count me in for Round 1... even if those rent prices are absolutely terrifying :?: :cry: :?:
Intern
Intern
 Q45  V41
Send PM
euuuughhh. went to the on-campus tour and had 2 clueless people waste about 30 minutes of my life asking the guy questions that were either completely asinine or answerable by reading the stern web page.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:NYU, LBS, MIT, Toronto
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Count me in for Round 1 aswell. Good luck all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
MMtrader wrote:
euuuughhh. went to the on-campus tour and had 2 clueless people waste about 30 minutes of my life asking the guy questions that were either completely asinine or answerable by reading the stern web page.

whoops...I guess next time I should pee in my pants before I ask the dean where the bathroom is... :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:UCLA Anderson
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I'm in for R1 too.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
to the people who have visited stern already, can you speak about the student community. are students involved in activities outside of class? is there camaraderie? do students participate in campus groups and activities? how well do they network and "bond" with each other? or do most people just go off and follow their own agenda somewhere off in the city?

also, is there a lot of on-campus recruiting or do all the employer expect you to come to them since so many are HQ'ed in NY or have big NYC offices?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
 Q44  V38
Send PM
When I visited the school a BIG emphasis was put on the stern community. It was a former student giving the tour; he spoke of the clubs and events before even talking about the curriculum and careers. He had a couple of examples of how students are not just there to learn and get a job, but rather help each other succeed and and build a stronger student body, a better student experience. He did mention that ppl live all over the city, but the majority live close to school.

I don't know about the career stuff.

2012dreams wrote:
to the people who have visited stern already, can you speak about the student community. are students involved in activities outside of class? is there camaraderie? do students participate in campus groups and activities? how well do they network and "bond" with each other? or do most people just go off and follow their own agenda somewhere off in the city?

also, is there a lot of on-campus recruiting or do all the employer expect you to come to them since so many are HQ'ed in NY or have big NYC offices?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Anyone visiting campus, please feel free to PM me. I'm volunteering with Admissions to chat with prospectives over coffee on some Thursday afternoons.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Some companies hold off-campus events in addition to on-campus presentations, but everyone recruiting "on-campus" is physically there on campus.

Obviously, this doesn't include companies who simply look for applicants from Stern via job postings.

2012dreams wrote:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
The off-campus element is part a pain, part excellent.

+ For off campus main events (which are unusual), the number of staff in attendance is huge, and the food is way better
+ The interaction can be more frequent, with the companies able to customize more, bring interactive games
+ It isn't a very organized "we are here this day, this day, this day existence"
+ Less easy to be fooled as you can spend time in the company, with the people. It can't be acted out as easy
+ You don't have to keep traveling to NYC for event time informationals

- It isn't a very organized "we are here this day, this day, this day experience" = being on hand a lot for face time. Which is good, but can be bad
- Some industries really take advantage and ask a lot of you for visiting them. They do recruit more people though as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
count me in for R1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I'm a reapplicant. I"m doing the required essay #1 and then an essay as to how I've improved my candidacy since last year. I think goals can become better defined, but trying to write an entirely different essay on how you've gotten to know the stern community would be pretty hard given I've already elaborated on my examples last year. So that's why i'm not going to do another essay 2. and for essay 3 i did a big production last year so I hope they still have it. Do they say we can do more essays? or do they consider that overkill and just want reapps to do the ones they require??? now i'm all confused.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
I'm looking to visit Stern.

In your opinion, what is the best class to attend?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  54