Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [91]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: Guide to Recruiting and Schmoozing - Part 1 [#permalink]
Peli you acted on my suggestion :) Good man !! Great content..

Someone, please sticky this series ...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
GREAT content pelihu, I've been reading your posts for a while, and every one of them has been useful. You're making me want to come to Darden! :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
On a side note, you may meet some really interesting people at these events. For example, at one of the early on IB events, one of the recruiters I was speaking with actually was in the same training class as Lewis Ranieri (Liar's Poker). I had very little interest in IB at that time so I used the time to talk about the book, separate fact from fiction and such. It was great to meet someone who experienced all that I read in that book. Point being, if you happen to have time, it can't hurt to attend an event recruiting for a function you might not be too interested in pursuing.
CTO
CTO
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: IT
Send PM
Kudos, Pelihu, +10. Would you allow us to publish your series in the Wiki? There are two options, first is to make it a community project,
Code:
https://gmatclub.com/wiki/Guide_to_Recruiting_and_Schmoozing
or, if you would prefer to maintain responsibility and ownership, in your private namespace like this:

Code:
https://gmatclub.com/wiki/User:Pelihu/Guide_to_Recruiting_and_Schmoozing

Please let me know if this is a possibility. I can do all the tedious parts of wiki editing for you.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [2]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Kudos
Squali, you are right. You'll definitely meet a lot of interesting people, and you'll definitely find that the IB community is small and seriously inbred. There were several occasions where we met someone at a firm event early in the fall; then met the same person with a different firm later in the fall. At the very least, you'll definitely encounter former colleagues, classmates and so forth all around the street.

I have an interesting story from our visit to NY a few weeks ago. I attended a private dinner with a big IB on Monday night (we'll call them 'top 3' Firm A to keep it somewhat anonymous). The next evening, I attended a dinner with another 'top 3' Firm B. I sat next to a younger associate who was an alum and he casually asked me how things were going and what I did last night. I mentioned I had dinner with Firm A. He asked who attended the dinner from Firm A and named the people that attended. He immediately responded with, "you sat next to 'Person X' right"? He was correct of course, because he had already gotten the inside scoop on the dinner from the prior evening through the alumni grapevine.

A good (and extremely important) piece of advice would be to remember that word travels fast and don't burn any bridges. Also, it would be a terrible idea to go around telling a bunch of different firms that they are your top choice. If you make a jackass out of yourself at an event, other firms will hear about it - so that's why it's probably a good strategy early on to just keep a low profile. You can't win in the first few weeks, but you can definitely lose. On the flip side, if you are consistently good with several of the top firms, word will get around about that as well. Ultimately, the firms would all like to compete for some of the same people.

Tino: please go ahead and add it to the Wiki if you think it will be useful. You can just make it a community project; no need to put it under my name separately.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
Something else I would recommend is to put effort into your learning team, study group, whatever it's called early on. many schools have a formalized process where students are assigned to learning teams when they get to campus. At other schools you must set up your own study group. I would highly advise putting a lot of effort into gaining the trust and support of your learning team early on, because you will need their help later. This could mean spending extra time putting together spreadsheets that the team can use, or doing extra preparation so you can lead team discussions. As recruiting picks up and you start having events 3-4 nights a week, you'll be glad you have them to lean on.

I'm reading Pelihu's post a little late, but as a non-IB first year, want to back him up on this. YOUR TEAM WILL HATE YOU IF YOU LEAVE THEM OUT TO DRY!!!!

I know a lot of IB aspirants in school. Some have done a great job of knowing they'll need to travel and putting in time early on a project. Teams like this. Others have had their IB teammates simply say, "oh, and I won't be around for the next assignment....later." Not cool. If you want to be that guy, be that guy. But you won't win any points.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Fittingly, a long post and worth every ounce of time reading it! Thanks, Pelihu, I am already an avid fan of this series.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
This thread brings to mind, the Vault's Smoozing guide
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
good stuff! this is better than business week's blog on ibanking
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
nice information
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Schools:Chicago Booth, Harvard, LBS, INSEAD, Columbia
 Q48  V42
Send PM
This was such a great post that I 'kudosed' it even before I got to the end!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Very useful since all I am focusing on is school selection - and i don't even know what concentration yet!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:UCLA, INSEAD
Send PM
Thanks for the detail. This is an interesting window into the recruiting process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Oxford'11
Send PM
Great stuff! Waiting for the 4th and up to the 20th part! :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Great guide! Looking forward to the next installment!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
nice post! I have a question -after the events is it fine to email the people there to keep in touch like "i really enjoyed talking to you " etc. or one shouldnt do that?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
nice post! I have a question -after the events is it fine to email the people there to keep in touch like "i really enjoyed talking to you " etc. or one shouldnt do that?

What's your intent? If you want to keep them as part of your long term network then this would be a great idea! :-D
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2