Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q47  V29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q50  V35
Send PM
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 1357 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Re: M10: 31 [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,

I've drawn a picture to be able to explain the problem better. S1 tells us that AD in the picture below equals 10. If the area of the parallelogram is 100, than its height BD equals \(\frac{100}{10} = 10\). Now, S2 tells us that one of the angles is 45 degrees. We marked \(\angle BAD\) as a 45 degrees angle. So, we have an isosceles triangle ABD with BD equal to AD. We know that angle ADB is the right angle and can find AB using the Pythagorean theorem. It will equal \(\sqrt{20}\), but we don't even have to find the length of the side or calculate the perimeter if we already know we have enough info. You can save some time on these DS question this way.

Did it help? Hope it did :).
Attachments

m10-31.png
m10-31.png [ 1.83 KiB | Viewed 2864 times ]

Intern
Intern
 Q47  V29
Send PM
Awesome. Thanks very much.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
I got this question wrong for a stupid reason (thought "quadrilateral" instead of "parallelogram"). Later it clicked, but it took longer since I got confused reading this piece in the explanation:

Statement (1) by itself is insufficient. We know the base and the height of the parallelogram; however, the height can equal the side of the parallelogram (in case of a rectangle) or it can exceed it.

Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. Nothing can be established about the length of the base of the parallelogram.

Statements (1) and (2) combined are sufficient. The length of the side can be found by the Pythagorean theorem.
The correct answer is C.

As I read it, it was difficult to visualize the height exceeding a side. Am I reading it correctly? How would you correct the bold part?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
sid3699 wrote:
If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter of the parallelogram?

1) The base of the parallelogram is 10.
2) One of the angles of the parallelogram is 45 degrees.

Why C and not E?

Am struggling to understand how we can use the pythagorean theorem when we don't know which pair of angles are 45 degrees each in the parallelogram. What am I missing here? Would appreciate some help here.

Area of parallelogram = base * height = 100. perimeter = 2 (base + side)

St1: base = 10, so height = 10. side is unknown still. not sufficient

St 2: angle = 45. so the triangle formed by base (part) and height is an isosceles triangle 90-45-45. sqrt(2):1:1. so the height and base part should be equal, but unknown.

Both: from St1 base = 10 and height = 10, through st2 side = 10* sqrt(2). As we know side and base, perimeter could be calculated.

C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Why not B?

Since you know that one of the angles is 45 degrees, you can tell that that the parallelogram is made of two 45/45/90 triangles. This would lead you to knowing that the height = the base.

This would lead you to knowing that:

100 = height * base = height * height = base * base

So therefore, height and base must be equal to 10.

And this leads you to knowing that the perimeter must be equal to 20 + 20 * root(2).

Am I missing something or making any leaps of logic that I shouldn't be?

Thanks!

Archived Topic
Hi there,
Archived GMAT Club Tests question - no more replies possible.
Where to now? Try our up-to-date Free Adaptive GMAT Club Tests for the latest questions.
Still interested? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for better discussion and related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts