Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Technology
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Haas, Booth, Columbia
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q48  V27
Send PM
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: 570 (Q30, V38) to 760 (Q49, V44) in 3 months (long) [#permalink]
Kudos
Congrats understudy!

Now, RD is my big problem. Could you share your strategies to crack it in short time? thanks :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
hiiii
today's post was really nice.
i want more information for verbal section.
this section is difficult for me.
can anyone give me more suggestion on CR,SC,RC.
plz post me tip on verbal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Great .. Congratulations !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
vicksikand wrote:
I need some help with the CR questions, my problem is two-pronged:
1.My speed is not up to the mark(I typically take 2-3 minutes per problem).
2.Also, my accuracy isnt that great(I score around 7/10 on practice questions in the Powerscore GMAT Bible).
Any suggestions? how to attack these problems - my test date is about a month and 10 days away.
Also when do I start with the full-length tests? I haven't taken any till now.

if your test is a month and 10 days away i'd take a practice test every weekend up until the test. not sure what to do about speed as the first practice test I ever took (took it cold-turkey without any studying) i finished the verbal section 15 minutes early. one thing that might help is creating a process of elimination grid for your problems. also, like i mentioned in my post, read the official explanation for every single problem you do (even the ones you get right) and make sure you understand why every wrong answer choice is wrong. process of elimination was critical to my verbal strategy. CR is hard to teach but if you do enough problems (i.e. approx 300+) in a timed environment you should eventually begin to recognize the patterns, which will cut your time spent dramatically.

Originally posted by understudy on 30 Sep 2009, 21:32.
Last edited by understudy on 30 Sep 2009, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Send PM
vram80 wrote:
Hi. Your thoughts are indeed quite helpful.

If you could explain a little on what inputs you received from that gentleman , it would help. Also if you could explain on the quants strategy it would help. Am exactly at your initial score and would want to move somewhere near your final score in less than 8 weeks.

Thanks.

Ram.

all of the advice i received from him is incorporated in my original post or one of my responses. check out my response to yesiwill for how i approached studying for quant. let me know if you have any specific questions. basic idea is doing tons of problems and then going back and making sure you understand each and every one inside out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks to everyone for all the positive comments - a high GMAT score is doable for just about anyone, it's really a matter of how badly you want it and, moreover, how much you're willing to work for it.

20 - 25 hours a week, 13 weeks straight. if you do that, you will be working harder than 99% of the other people out there. if you possess at least average intelligence, theoretically, you should be able to score higher than 99% of the other other people out there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Technology
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Haas, Booth, Columbia
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
understudy wrote:
vicksikand wrote:
I need some help with the CR questions, my problem is two-pronged:
1.My speed is not up to the mark(I typically take 2-3 minutes per problem).
2.Also, my accuracy isnt that great(I score around 7/10 on practice questions in the Powerscore GMAT Bible).
Any suggestions? how to attack these problems - my test date is about a month and 10 days away.
Also when do I start with the full-length tests? I haven't taken any till now.

if your test is a month and 10 days away i'd take a practice test every weekend up until the test. not sure what to do about speed as the first practice test I ever took (took it cold-turkey without any studying) i finished the verbal section 15 minutes early. one thing that might help is creating a process of elimination grid for your problems. also, like i mentioned in my post, read the official explanation for every single problem you do (even the ones you get right) and make sure you understand why every wrong answer choice is wrong. process of elimination was critical to my verbal strategy. CR is hard to teach but if you do enough problems (i.e. approx 300+) in a timed environment you should eventually begin to recognize the patterns, which will cut your time spent dramatically.

I would also advise that you "pre-phrase" your answers. Know what you want the answer to be before you read the answer. This not only helps with speed but, also, forces you to really think about the logic behind the answer rather than getting tricked into the sound (yet inapplicable) alternative answer choices.

-AJ
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Seeking to enter PHD program
Schools:IIT, UIC, U of C, UIUC, SIU, UW-Madison
Send PM
Excellent suggestions!

I scored 530 on the GMAT prep. Seeking 700+ for PHD program entry.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have a question. After I exhaust all Verbal problems in the OG, where can I find those "Verbal SETS" you referred to in your message? Thank you very much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Great Congrats....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
meangmatclub wrote:
I have a question. After I exhaust all Verbal problems in the OG, where can I find those "Verbal SETS" you referred to in your message? Thank you very much.

You can find them on random torrent sites. If you just google for GMAT SETS something, you should be able to find a site or newsgroup where you can get them within the first 5 pages of results. They were from Scoretop I believe, which is now out of business.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Understudy,

Very inspring!
I'm sure this turn around is a life long motivation for you to keep coming back from failures... of which life is full of it.
... And likewise for us.

Keep up with the good work.

DC
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Send PM
Understudy, how did you significantly improve you verbal score from a 35 to a 41 in just a week? I noticed a significant difference between your 3rd and 4th exam in just a week. I have also recently completed the Manhattan Gmat course, and im trying to significantly improve my verbal as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
burnttwinky wrote:
Understudy, how did you significantly improve you verbal score from a 35 to a 41 in just a week? I noticed a significant difference between your 3rd and 4th exam in just a week. I have also recently completed the Manhattan Gmat course, and im trying to significantly improve my verbal as well.

SC: Exhaust all of the OG problems and make sure you read the official explanations for EVERY QUESTION, EVEN THE ONES YOU GET RIGHT. For the ones you get right, go through and read the official explanation for why every other answer choice is wrong. Every wrong answer choice typically has 2-3 errors and chances are you’re only able to identify 1 of them. By going through the official explanations for why each answer choice is wrong, you really train yourself to recognize errors, which is the key to SC. Even on the toughest SC problems, you can use error recognition and POE to arrive at an answer 95%+ of the time. This was the revelation that kicked my score up from a V36 to V41 in a single week.

- CR/RC: you should approach studying for these the same way as you approach SC although you probably don’t need the same level of meticulousness. After a while it’s just pattern recognition. Stay as close to the text as possible, avoid extremisms, etc. etc.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Own Kudos [?]: 250 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
 Q48  V32
Send PM
Congratulations on a great score...

Thanks for providing the schedule tip, I was struggling to devise a schedule with time remaining, this came as a ready-made perfect schedule.

I think you definitely dont need to retake the exam, I know that mistake bites u for ever,if u think about it..But if u look at the real big picture, the possible 10-40 more points would do any more good that what u already have.. so save those $250 bucks and effort for the next steps :):).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Send PM
Understudy, great story man. Do you mind if I ask you what kind of advice Horacio gave you because it appears that the advice that he gave you really helped. I will be speaking with Haracio soon as well regarding on what steps that i will be taking now that the MGMAT course has been over. I am trying to see what kind of questions would beneficial to ask him to help me with my score. I am only scoring a 650 on the gmat (43 quant 36 verbal), which is far from my target. I would like a score of 48+ math and 40+ verbal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 740 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Nice post
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder