Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology
Schools:Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink]
stopper5 wrote:
I need some advice on Essay 1. Currently, I start with an anecdote and don't get into my short-term goal till the end of the second paragraph. I'm not sure if this is the right approach.

Should I spell out exactly what I want to do in the first sentence and then hit the anecdote? Does the order even matter?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think that there is only one 'right approach'. As long as you're answering the question (that is KEY), whichever way you do it is fine. I would start off with the anecdote, and then get into the details from there on out, but make sure you are not using an anecdote just for the sake of it, because with 600 words, you dont have a lot of room.

Good Luck !!
Current Student
Send PM
wiseguyMBA wrote:
stopper5 wrote:
I need some advice on Essay 1. Currently, I start with an anecdote and don't get into my short-term goal till the end of the second paragraph. I'm not sure if this is the right approach.

Should I spell out exactly what I want to do in the first sentence and then hit the anecdote? Does the order even matter?

Guys
I am still not even started on 3 essays...I'm really **** bricks...I'm considering if I should drop Round 1....
Anyone else as lazy as me?

Hm, you'll definitely be cutting it close. Have you written essays for other schools yet ? If so, you should have a half-decent idea of what you want to say, and how you want to say it. If not, then I would consider waiting until the next round, and put your best foot forward.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TheDream wrote:
wiseguyMBA wrote:
stopper5 wrote:

Guys
I am still not even started on 3 essays...I'm really **** bricks...I'm considering if I should drop Round 1....
Anyone else as lazy as me?

Hm, you'll definitely be cutting it close. Have you written essays for other schools yet ? If so, you should have a half-decent idea of what you want to say, and how you want to say it. If not, then I would consider waiting until the next round, and put your best foot forward.

Well, London was a last minute add-on, cos I figured Rd 1 was really my best chance. I do have all essays written for Tuck and Kellogg so I can reuse the outline and basic idea, so not too bad. My worry is that I will not have time to send out my essays to friends for review. Hope it doesnt come back and bite me. Thanks for the input.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Sadly most of these schools ask similar questions in different formats and word limits. This makes reusing essays not very easy. I ran into similar problems when I was applying. For LBS (and also HBS for that matter) keep in mind the tight word limits. You will not have the opportunity paint vivid pictures and build up much of a story. The essay about international experiences is brutal (at 150 words). I'm just glad that its over for me :)

Good luck R1 applicants.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
wiseguyMBA wrote:
Well, London was a last minute add-on, cos I figured Rd 1 was really my best chance. I do have all essays written for Tuck and Kellogg so I can reuse the outline and basic idea, so not too bad. My worry is that I will not have time to send out my essays to friends for review. Hope it doesnt come back and bite me. Thanks for the input.

in similar situation.. trying my best in a last minute effort..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
humblewinner wrote:
wiseguyMBA wrote:

in similar situation.. trying my best in a last minute effort..

Did anyone notice the MBA_ESSAY_QUESTIONS.doc template says "for classes beginning in August 2009"?
are we supposed to change it or just leave it that way?
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks for the input for my earlier question guys.

Quick essay questions - how many words are you folks spending on the "Why now?" part in Essay 1? For me this is only about 50-60 words. I'm worried its a too little. :|

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Its not how many words you spend on the issue, its how convincing and persuasive your arguments are.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
hey bsd and prashok ..how is school going ?? it seems you both are enjoying lot in lbs ....can you share more of lbs thng like how are faculty , teaching , campus ,etc
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Hi ankit due to workload reasons I dont think I will be able to do an detailed write up for a few weeks. However, if you sift through this thread you will find plenty of posts from both me and prashok that talk about exactly the things you are looking for (i.e. faculty, teaching, campus).

ankit1456 wrote:
hey bsd and prashok ..how is school going ?? it seems you both are enjoying lot in lbs ....can you share more of lbs thng like how are faculty , teaching , campus ,etc
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
bigDeal wrote:
Did anyone notice the MBA_ESSAY_QUESTIONS.doc template says "for classes beginning in August 2009"?
are we supposed to change it or just leave it that way?

Probably a typo -- don't worry about it...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Kudos
bsd_lover wrote:
Its not how many words you spend on the issue, its how convincing and persuasive your arguments are.

Yep -- as an example, my "Why now?" portion was maybe two sentences maximum. If you can get across what you need to say, you'll be fine.
Current Student
Send PM
prashok wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

Yep -- as an example, my "Why now?" portion was maybe two sentences maximum. If you can get across what you need to say, you'll be fine.

bsd/prashok - thanks a lot for your insight!
Current Student
Send PM
Just submitted my application !!! :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TheDream wrote:

I think I'm patenting a recipe for disaster... Writing essay 3 now and still have to write essay 4 and edit all my essays, and have to visit Tuck on 6th..Which means I'm trying to prep for that interview as well.
Wg

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
TheDream wrote:

Hello, I am unable to upload my transcripts (4.7 mb, max allowed=5 mb). The connection keeps timing out. Did you have any problems ?
Current Student
Send PM
humblewinner wrote:
TheDream wrote:

Hello, I am unable to upload my transcripts (4.7 mb, max allowed=5 mb). The connection keeps timing out. Did you have any problems ?

I was OK actually, I didn't have any issues during the entire process. If you're still having issues, I would call them up tomorrow to find out what is going on.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts