Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations
Schools:Duke
 Q49  V40
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink]
ACNguy wrote:
Let us know how it went! I'm sure you did great even if you were "unprepared." Personally, going into interviews extremely prepared makes your answers seem canned and diminishes the effectiveness of your answers in displaying who you truly are, which I feel is the most imporant aspect of an interview. The interview is less an informaiton gathering session (they have the resume, essays, application, etc. for that) and more of an attempt to sit down and say "Do I like this guy/girl? Would I want to study with them or have them represent my university?"

The whole day was awesome today. I loved it there at Duke. It felt like a great fit for me.

I think that the interview went well too. I guess I was more prepared than I thought I was and the class visit and tour helped too. It also really helped that in between the tour, class, and interview they had first year students rotating through the lounge area to answer your questions. Everyone was really cool there. There were tons of impressive people but everyone was so approachable.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
johnnyjim wrote:
ACNguy wrote:
Let us know how it went! I'm sure you did great even if you were "unprepared." Personally, going into interviews extremely prepared makes your answers seem canned and diminishes the effectiveness of your answers in displaying who you truly are, which I feel is the most imporant aspect of an interview. The interview is less an informaiton gathering session (they have the resume, essays, application, etc. for that) and more of an attempt to sit down and say "Do I like this guy/girl? Would I want to study with them or have them represent my university?"

The whole day was awesome today. I loved it there at Duke. It felt like a great fit for me.

I think that the interview went well too. I guess I was more prepared than I thought I was and the class visit and tour helped too. It also really helped that in between the tour, class, and interview they had first year students rotating through the lounge area to answer your questions. Everyone was really cool there. There were tons of impressive people but everyone was so approachable.

Congrats! Must be a huge weight off of your shoulders! Glad you liked Duke, its a beautiful campus. Did you get a chance to check out the main part of campus as well, or just the business school location?
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
When I interviewed at Duke last year, there was a mix of people wearing business casual and suits to the interviews. Generally the people wearing business casual were wearing a blazer or sport jacket. I wore a suit - primarily because I didn't read the instructions well enough to notice the business casual dress code - and got in so I wouldn't worry about it affecting your interviewer's perception of you.

I wore business casual with a blazer today and that seemed pretty appropriate.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V40
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
Congrats! Must be a huge weight off of your shoulders! Glad you liked Duke, its a beautiful campus. Did you get a chance to check out the main part of campus as well, or just the business school location?

Thanks, now I just need to wrap up my essays and everything before Oct 6th. Yeah the campus is beautiful. I didn't get to check it out too much today since it was dumping rain, but I've walked the whole campus before. The Fuqua facilities were really nice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg, Fuqua, Darden
 Q48  V39
Send PM
johnnyjim wrote:
Jerz wrote:
When I interviewed at Duke last year, there was a mix of people wearing business casual and suits to the interviews. Generally the people wearing business casual were wearing a blazer or sport jacket. I wore a suit - primarily because I didn't read the instructions well enough to notice the business casual dress code - and got in so I wouldn't worry about it affecting your interviewer's perception of you.

How did you make the blazer/suit decision? What did you see from other applicants that were there interviewing? It seems weird for me to wear a blazer to an interview, but if everyone's doing it...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: GM
Schools:Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer
Send PM
I was there on Monday. I just wore slacks and a polo ( I didn't interview).

It seemed like most internationals wore a suit and most domestic looking people wore business casual clothing.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V40
Send PM
gtg450g wrote:
johnnyjim wrote:
Jerz wrote:

How did you make the blazer/suit decision? What did you see from other applicants that were there interviewing? It seems weird for me to wear a blazer to an interview, but if everyone's doing it...

I agree that it sounds weird to wear a blazer and no tie to an interview, but I actually emailed the admissions office and asked them if a suit and tie would be preferable to a blazer or sports coat with no tie and they replied saying that they would go with the blazer or sports coat instead of the suit and tie if they were me. So I bought a new blazer on the drive up and that ended up being pretty good I think. There were a lot of people wearing suits though (mostly domestic applicants from NYC with a finance background on the day I was there). My interviewer wore business casual too. It seems that a suit would have been acceptable as well though. In class people were wearing all sorts of different things. Some people looked like they had just come from the gym and others looked like they had an interview after class. It just depended on what people were planning on doing after class I think.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q29  V18 GMAT 2: 310  Q18  V14 GMAT 3: 440  Q30  V19
GPA: 2.04
Send PM
its a long shot,,...no really a long, long shot, but applying to Duke R2, lets see what happens, have yet to retake the GMAT again (4X) and hopefully I will do good in the classes Im taking this semester so I can show that I can make good grades. But, I do wish the best for everyone else.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Last night I got an email stating that if you visit Duke on campus they will offer a discount on the application fee. They said that the online discount won't be available until next week or something, but that if you email them 72 hours in advance of sending in your application for EA they can email you instructions on getting the discount. Problem is there wasn't quite 72 hours left before EA was due when the email was sent. Oh well, maybe I'll get lucky, but if not I'm still doing EA as long as I wrap up everything in my application. I'm also still waiting for a recommendation to get finished.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q44  V42
Send PM
I got the same email too, but mine arrived Saturday around noon. Good deal for those applying later. I already lucked out and got a fee waiver for the whole application though. I'm sure they'll be able to accomodate you, JohnnyJim.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V40
Send PM
ElleBee wrote:
I got the same email too, but mine arrived Saturday around noon. Good deal for those applying later. I already lucked out and got a fee waiver for the whole application though. I'm sure they'll be able to accomodate you, JohnnyJim.

They were really quick and getting back to me so it looks like I'll get my partial waiver :-D. Everyone at Duke has been extremely responsive throughout this process. I even talked to the financial aid office and they were super helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Can anybody speculate as to why Duke's offering this discount ? Has this been the case all the years. If not then does this signal a decline in applications ? Am just wondering. I got the same email as well.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V40
Send PM
pleonasm wrote:
Can anybody speculate as to why Duke's offering this discount ? Has this been the case all the years. If not then does this signal a decline in applications ? Am just wondering. I got the same email as well.

I think in the email they just said that they know time and money is short right now for most people so they are offering a discount, but I'm wondering the same thing you are.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
I actually didn't get the e-mail even though I have a visit scheduled.

Duke really wants people to come visit. I'm guessing maybe they saw less people coming to campus to interview than they'd hoped. It's not like it would increase their yield to offer a break on app fees.

It seems like they do offer quite a few waivers. When I was at Weekend for Women last year, they offered [full] waivers to everyone who attended and it seems like there are a lot of waivers listed in their application.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
I think it has to do some thing with increasing the applicant pool + improving the yield rate.

One could argue, that they are doing a favor by giving the prospectives a discount considering the current market situation...but hey... they are also equally affected.

All in all, nice gesture.

pleonasm wrote:
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Well, I didn't quite feel comfortable with my application today so I passed up EA. Looks like I'll be doing R1 instead.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
I'm back in Durham!

I know I don't know this incoming class as well as the last few, but I am so excited to be here i just had to post!

I'll be on campus all day tomorrow doing some recruiting and then doing some alumni volunteer work for the General Mgmt Club. Good times :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts