Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Re: 760!!! (Q50 V42) [#permalink]
I started in late June originally expecting to take the test in August. I thought two months would be enough time. However, I was interrupted in my studying for family reasons for the month of August and then continued in Sept.

As for prep, I did exhaust all of the math and sentence correction problems in the OG. I also did all the sentence correction probs in the verbal guide, and read through the math OG.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Awesome score .,,, Congrats.,
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V42
Send PM
I did do the GMAT prep 2 but stopped and started numerous times because it was the day before the test and I just wanted go through the problems rather than sit for an entire practice test.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Oh an also, regarding the AWA - I didnt spend ANY time on that. I didnt practice an AWA when I took any of my tests. Just skipped it. I took most of my practice tests after work and I didnt have time to practice the writing. I figure its best to keep it simple. You arent graded for the validity of your argument, so its best just to focus on the structure, wording and grammar.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
hi jaf - congrats on getting a great score. please be sure to add your name to this thread: 99-ile-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-77041.html

best of luck on all your apps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
jaf74,

Good going pal! Which b-Schools do you have in mind?

Also do you mind sharing your error log? I'm creating basic template based on collective feedback and I am sure we have some points to learn from you.

Good luck

DC
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
You nailed it man, I *wish* I could just manage a 700 :)

How did you tackle CR & RC, specifically? Could you share your plan.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V42
Send PM
for school part - not sure yet, havent done enough research.

As for CR and RC, I didnt believe that there was a real strategy or skill to be learned in order to improve my score here. In fact, I didnt do any OG RC or CR. The only RC CR I did was the ones I did in the practice tests. Like I said, its not like you have to memorize formulas or sentence structures for these topics, here you just read and logically answer the question, all the answers are right there in the passage, the hard part is just getting accustomed to what the GMAT is looking for in a particular answers. IE most answers arent absolute (ALL people should ...., NO insects eat .....,)

But as for my approach during the test, I would read the passage and then summarize what was said. For example, "here the author introduces a common belief about such and such." this helps you get right to the answers quickly because you have a good idea of the structure.

For the CR - my advice is be extremely critical. dont assume anything. Only know what they tell you.

sorry if this isnt all the help you were looking for,

Regarding the error log -
When I started my error log, I saw some pretty complicated and creative logs. But for me, I decided to keep it simple and use all my time for studying. My log consisted of a two subject notebook. In the first side, i took notes and put useful formulas for math memorization stuff, and SC notes. The back side was really my error log. After completed all the OG quant problems I wrote down the the problem and the answer and how to solve/where i went wrong. I added to this section whenever I attempted problems. After a finished a test, I went back and reviewed the problems i got wrong and entered them in the notebook. Not only are you rewriting every problem and way to solve it, but you can see how many times you are making the same mistake. It really helps you quantify your erros and type of errors. Before my real test, I went through these errors and I think it really helped.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72868 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations!
99th Percentile! Does not get any better than that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2409 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Congrats on that awesome score!!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts