Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72869 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Greetings from ThinkISB [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear GMATClub Members,

It gives us immense pleasure to contribute to this forum and help ISB aspirants throughout their admission process. Please feel free to ask any question related to ISB, the application process, admission criteria, campus life, special initiatives and placements.

We would also be bringing out interesting events and happenings in the school from time to time.

Let us make it a thread with lively discussions!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink]
Welcome ThinkISB! We are glad to have you here.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [1]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Let me take this opportunity of posting the first query on this thread related to ISB Interviews.

I read on various blogs that ISB generally gives a word - usually a abstract topic - to write a 100 word essay before starting the interview.

It would be great, if you could please give some insights on. My queries are:
1. What is the significance of this essay in the whole interview process
2. What are the expectations of AdCom from this essay.
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
The 100 word abstract essay serves the following purposes:

1. The adcom cross-checks the written communication ability of a candidate with the application essays. It also gives them a clear idea whether the candidate has written his essays himself/herself.

2. The adcom checks whether the candidate follows a structured, coherent thought process while penning down his opinions about a topic.

This is all there is to it.

ThinkISB
https://thinkisb.com/

Originally posted by thinkadmit on 25 Sep 2009, 04:37.
Last edited by thinkadmit on 24 Oct 2009, 00:39, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
thinkISB wrote:
The 100 word abstract essay serves the following purposes:

1. The adcom cross-checks the written communication ability of a candidate with the application essays. It also gives them a clear idea whether the candidate has written his essays himself/herself.

2. The adcom checks whether the candidate follows a structured, coherent thought process while penning down his opinions about a topic.

This is all there is to it.

Hi thinkISB,
Thanks a lot for the quick reply on this. I was just wondering, what if the candidate doesn't have any idea on the word. An examples I can collect from web is the word "Fathom". Frankly speaking I don't have any idea on what this word mean.

So, by any chance do we have a life line, may be asking for a hint from the panel or calling up a friend :P
I guess I'm not asking too much.
Send PM
Dear bigoyal,

More often than not the adcom will choose topics that are easily comprehended. However, if you are not clear about a topic, you can always ask the panel for clarification.

ThinkISB

Originally posted by thinkadmit on 25 Sep 2009, 12:06.
Last edited by thinkadmit on 24 Oct 2009, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi ThinkISB,

I have heard that college name matters a lot in getting admission in ISB. A person from IIT or any other top indian college gets advantage over another person with non IIT background.
Is it true?

Also, how much weightage does GMAT has over college name (If college name takes some weightage)?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi! its simply great to hv ISB veterans to help us out !
I have question around career options available after ISB. For someone who has spent 2-3 years in high tech industry and wanting to switch to consumer marketing is ISB a good option? Does the one year course help in specializing...?
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
@riteshbindal

The college name does matter to the adcom. But it is only one of the many sub-criteria to judge a candidate's academic performance and analytical skills. The GMAT score, high school and undergraduate GPAs all contribute to a candidate's Academic performance and analytical skills, again one of the several criteria to judge a candidate (the others being work experience, extra curricular activities and the like.) The weightage attached to these criteria by the adcom is based on what kind of profile a candidate has. A candidate with more number of years of work experience will have less weights attached to his academic performances in college.

Hence, even though an engineer from IIT can have a better objective score than a non-IIT engineer ( note that I'm comparing engineers only) the non-IIT engineer can offset that with a better GMAT score and some spikes in work experience and extra curricular activities.

@mnk

People go for MBAs to make career switches. It is definitely possible. If you are clear about what you want to achieve, ISB can make that happen. For that you are to make a work plan.
1. Get actively engaged in the marketing club at ISB.You will definitely have peers who would already be from that field. Network with them about your plan and through them get in touch with the people in that sector. The industry contact list would be the most important thing you need for this switch.

2. ISB provides for Experiential learning Programmes (ELP), Faculty Initiated Research Programmes (FIRP) and Independent Study Programmes (ISP). Make use of these to study your targeted domain.
3. Lastly gather a few peers who have similar interests and organize informal discussions among yourselves. Peer learning is one of the most important aspects at ISB that would help you immensely. No other B-School in India can provide the depth and breadth of diverse experiences that ISB can.

ThinkISB

Originally posted by thinkadmit on 26 Sep 2009, 01:21.
Last edited by thinkadmit on 24 Oct 2009, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
great.. Thanks for your response..I will get in touch with ISB students soon

I will be visiting ISB and staying on campus for a couple of days in October.. Any suggestions on how/what I can do there to understand the school/students, network etc..???
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dear mnk,

1. Make it a point to sit in one of the classes. It will be a great experience to see world class faculty teaching.
2. Look it up in the ISB site about conferences/seminars on retail and plan your visit during that time.
3. Ask your contact at ISB beforehand to get you in touch with the marketing club and meet the people concerned.

Finally, ISB is a great place to chill out and enjoy as a guest. Make the most of the two days you have got there. :)

ThinkISB

Originally posted by thinkadmit on 27 Sep 2009, 11:59.
Last edited by thinkadmit on 24 Oct 2009, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
thinkISB wrote:
Dear bigoyal,

More often than not the adcom will choose topics that are easily comprehended. However, if you are not clear about a topic, you can always ask the panel for clarification.

Thanks a lot thinkISB, that's a relief to me. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
great !! thanks so much !! will do that..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
thinkISB wrote:
Dear mnk,

1. Make it a point to sit in one of the classes. It will be a great experience to see world class faculty teaching.
2. Look it up in the ISB site about conferences/seminars on retail and plan your visit during that time.
3. Ask your contact at ISB beforehand to get you in touch with the marketing club and meet the people concerned.

Finally, ISB is a great place to chill out and enjoy as a guest. Make the most of the two days you have got there. :)

Hi Think ISB

Great having you here. I have collected some information regarding ISB & Entrepreneurship in ISB through my classmates (who are Alumni of or currently going to ISB).
1) I got information regarding PaEV program, netimpact club, Entrepreneurship club,Wadhwani Centre for Entrepreneurship Development and also about few graduates who chose this path

I am keen on Entrepreneurship in Social Sector. To be specific I am starting a company which will provide consulting to corporate/companies to achieve their social goals, network corporates and NGOs and also provide ground level services for their CSR goal/activities.

Do you have more information to justify my fit to ISB in these lines apart from the info i got from my friends
you help is much appreciated
Send PM
Dear ISBtarget,

You have infact pretty much covered most of the initiatives that you could take up @ ISB to attain your goal. You need to study the field and narrow down on a set of alternatives and gradually finalize a business model for your plan. The PaEV will then be an excellent opportunity to take the plan forward while at ISB. Your plan will go through industry experts and VCs, who will help you polish it more.

Involvements in the EVC club and the Net Impact club will always benefit you by aiding you to build a great nerwork.

The WCED with it's Entrepreneurship Development Initiative (started in 2009 itself) can be a great help for you while incubating your venture.

I've just told you what all you can do at ISB to start your venture. This is how ISB can fit into your career goal. For now you have to work on your plan further so that you have something concrete to show the adcom.
If you have something and are clear about how the ISB experience will help you, they will be impressed.

ThinkISB

Originally posted by thinkadmit on 15 Oct 2009, 11:32.
Last edited by thinkadmit on 24 Oct 2009, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
thinkISB wrote:
Dear ISBtarget,

You have infact pretty much covered most of the initiatives that you could take up @ ISB to attain your goal. You need to study the field and narrow down on a set of alternatives and gradually finalize a business model for your plan. The PaEV will then be an excellent opportunity to take the plan forward while at ISB. Your plan will go through industry experts and VCs, who will help you polish it more.

Involvements in the EVC club and the Net Impact club will always benefit you by aiding you to build a great nerwork.

The WCED with it's Entrepreneurship Development Initiative (started in 2009 itself) can be a great help for you while incubating your venture.

I've just told you what all you can do at ISB to start your venture. This is how ISB can fit into your career goal. For now you have to work on your plan further so that you have something concrete to show the adcom.
If you have something and are clear about how the ISB experience will help you, they will be impressed.

Team ThinkISB.

great insight... thank you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Hi ThinkISB

Its my pleasure to find you here for help. From past many days, i have been going through different posts but i couldn't get sufficient info regarding profile evaluation. Hope i can get feedback from you regarding my profile.

BSc- Agri (4 yr Program) through ICAR
PGPABM from one of Top Sectoral B-School
Consistently above average GPA
Currently pursuing CFA Level-2, cleared L-1 in 1st attempt.
Got 1.5 yrs Work Ex with a Leading Insurance Company (Junior Management Role)
Currently dealing in Equity Market.

I want your input regarding my chances of making into ISB considering 1.5 yrs work ex & 700-710 score.

Hope to hear from you soon.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7