Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Nonprofit/Public Management
Schools:Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Michigan, Duke
 Q50  V44
Send PM
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink]
asimov wrote:
Is this your way of bumping the thread?
:yes :no

It's called Bookmarking.

creampuff wrote:
Please add me to R1.

nink - any idea when interview invites start coming out and number interviewed compared to number accepted? :) thanks in advance from those of us playing the waiting game!

Last year, interview invites for R1 started around first week of November. Most of it came before Thanksgiving holiday.

Interview invites are rather low in numbers (compared to other schools) because YSOM class size is small. I believe they accepted about 450-ish applicants out of about 3500 applications last year.

Here's some useful stats from admitted candidates from Class of 2011: (Source - Email sent out to all the admitted students March 2009)

You are diverse. You come from 36 different countries and by my informal count speak roughly the same number of languages (plus Latin and American Sign Language!). You work for a range of different employers (the five most common: Barclay’s, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, IBM, and The Boston Consulting Group) across many industries and all sectors – from, for example, Teach for America to The World Bank to Google to Procter & Gamble to Boeing to Time Warner to the U.S. Government and beyond.

You are smart. You are graduates of over 150 different universities (the five most common: Yale, Stanford, UPenn, Harvard, and Brown), many with Latin honors on your degrees and Greek honor societies on your resumes. In addition to bachelor’s degrees, many of you have master’s degrees, and some have law degrees, medical degrees, and doctorates. A number are published authors; a few hold patents. For those of you fixated on numbers, your average GMAT score is 717 – a point below the current first-year class’s 718, but we won’t hold that against you (J) – and your average GPA is 3.5.

You are driven. You are athletes – from varsity teams to intramural clubs. A few of you even played professional sports. And one of you was the Duke Blue Devil mascot (sorry, you Tar Heels out there). You continue to compete in marathons (Boston, New York, and Chicago, to name a few), triathlons, and leagues in variety of sports. You stay involved by teaching skiing, swimming, diving, soccer, baseball, basketball, and other sports.

You are involved. You volunteer for disaster relief and act as mentors and tutors. You train help dogs, work in shelters, rescue animals, provide free medical care, volunteer at food banks, and advocate for abused and neglected children. A number of you have even founded organizations in your communities, from literacy programs and primary schools for children to microfinance organizations. One of you is a volunteer fire fighter.

You are accomplished. You include representatives of all four arms of the US military, as well as several militaries of other countries. You have been decorated for your service – including at least one recipient of the Bronze Star. Some have top secret clearance. A few are military interrogators (my sense is that these are the ones you want on your team in Negotiations Class). And at least two are Army Rangers. Two others have undergone space training. You are chess champions and Eagle Scouts. You are CFA levels I, II, and III; you have your Series 7, 63, 66, 86 and 87 certifications. One of you completed two transatlantic sailboat crossings; others compete in ocean races. You are black belts – some in karate and taekwondo, others in Six Sigma. A number of you have already started your own companies.

You are just plain interesting. You are pilots, parachuters, wilderness rescuers, skydivers, paragliders, scuba divers, and skiers (both water and snow). You are artists, musicians, singers, dancers, DJs, photographers, cooks, and actors (one of you was a Hasty Pudding cast member; another founded a theatre company; yet another directed a musical based on “The Smurfs”). You make furniture. One of you races classic cars. Others captain dragon boats. At least one of you has hiked more than 1,800 miles of the Appalachian Trail. You like to travel – one of you has visited 39 countries on six continents. And one of you can type 100 words per minute.

You are the Yale SOM Class of 2011

ROLL CALL PG UPDATED
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Yale, Michigan, Cornell $$, Duke
 Q45  V46
Send PM
Hi, new to the forum and in for Round 1. YSOM is definitely my top choice and I definitely did not anticipate that waiting for the interview would be tougher than prepping for the GMAT or laboring over the essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2012
 Q48  V48
GPA: 3.74
WE 1: GM, Diversified Financial Svcs.
WE 2: Sales & Trading
Send PM
Got an interview invite today!! Came through email this morning and absolutely floored me. Was not expecting anything this soon...

Good luck to everyone!
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
NickTW wrote:
Got an interview invite today!! Came through email this morning and absolutely floored me. Was not expecting anything this soon...

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
got interview today, nink, is it possible to give me your email? cos I really have something to consult you...
so excited and really need to be well prepared, cos Yale is my only choice.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
nink wrote:
You are diverse. You come from 36 different countries and by my informal count speak roughly the same number of languages (plus Latin and American Sign Language!). You work for a range of different employers (the five most common: Barclay’s, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, IBM, and The Boston Consulting Group) across many industries and all sectors – from, for example, Teach for America to The World Bank to Google to Procter & Gamble to Boeing to Time Warner to the U.S. Government and beyond.

You are smart. You are graduates of over 150 different universities (the five most common: Yale, Stanford, UPenn, Harvard, and Brown), many with Latin honors on your degrees and Greek honor societies on your resumes. In addition to bachelor’s degrees, many of you have master’s degrees, and some have law degrees, medical degrees, and doctorates. A number are published authors; a few hold patents. For those of you fixated on numbers, your average GMAT score is 717 – a point below the current first-year class’s 718, but we won’t hold that against you (J) – and your average GPA is 3.5.

You are driven. You are athletes – from varsity teams to intramural clubs. A few of you even played professional sports. And one of you was the Duke Blue Devil mascot (sorry, you Tar Heels out there). You continue to compete in marathons (Boston, New York, and Chicago, to name a few), triathlons, and leagues in variety of sports. You stay involved by teaching skiing, swimming, diving, soccer, baseball, basketball, and other sports.

You are involved. You volunteer for disaster relief and act as mentors and tutors. You train help dogs, work in shelters, rescue animals, provide free medical care, volunteer at food banks, and advocate for abused and neglected children. A number of you have even founded organizations in your communities, from literacy programs and primary schools for children to microfinance organizations. One of you is a volunteer fire fighter.

You are accomplished. You include representatives of all four arms of the US military, as well as several militaries of other countries. You have been decorated for your service – including at least one recipient of the Bronze Star. Some have top secret clearance. A few are military interrogators (my sense is that these are the ones you want on your team in Negotiations Class). And at least two are Army Rangers. Two others have undergone space training. You are chess champions and Eagle Scouts. You are CFA levels I, II, and III; you have your Series 7, 63, 66, 86 and 87 certifications. One of you completed two transatlantic sailboat crossings; others compete in ocean races. You are black belts – some in karate and taekwondo, others in Six Sigma. A number of you have already started your own companies.

You are just plain interesting. You are pilots, parachuters, wilderness rescuers, skydivers, paragliders, scuba divers, and skiers (both water and snow). You are artists, musicians, singers, dancers, DJs, photographers, cooks, and actors (one of you was a Hasty Pudding cast member; another founded a theatre company; yet another directed a musical based on “The Smurfs”). You make furniture. One of you races classic cars. Others captain dragon boats. At least one of you has hiked more than 1,800 miles of the Appalachian Trail. You like to travel – one of you has visited 39 countries on six continents. And one of you can type 100 words per minute.

You are the Yale SOM Class of 2011

ROLL CALL PG UPDATED

It's fun reading this list. :) And lol at the blue devil mascott. That's gold.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi all,
I am New to this website. Googled to find this forum.
Well, got an Interview invite today too. Am looking forward to it.
When are you guys planning to schedule it?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V48
Send PM
Looks like it's going to have to be a Monday for me (no Friday interviews ...) for work reasons. I think it's got to be "the sooner the better", so I'll try and get out there in the next two to three weeks at worst.

Time to start brushing up on the interview skills ... ah, the stress never ends!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No soup for me still - still waiting for the invite.

Just out of curiosity - when does the interview need to be conducted by - what's the last day?

Thanks and best of luck everyone; I look forward to seeing you at SOM class of 2012.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V48
Send PM
GradBoy wrote:
No soup for me still - still waiting for the invite.

Just out of curiosity - when does the interview need to be conducted by - what's the last day?

Thanks and best of luck everyone; I look forward to seeing you at SOM class of 2012.

I get the feeling we were a lucky part of the very first round of invites. Definitely wouldn't start worrying yet. Looks like the last day on the schedule is all the way out to December 10th.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Nink - In for R1 Btw

Thanks for maintaining the roll call!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Hey guys, just wondering if you would be willing to give me your $.02 with something...

I'm in love with Yale SOM, and have been for a few years. I've always told myself that if I get an MBA, then it would be from Yale (if I should be lucky enough to get in!). I've sat in on classes, I've taken the tour, I've read the literature...it's the place where I'd really like to study. The "problem"...I'm a master's student (unrelated discipline) at Cornell and won't graduate until 2011. I can apply to the Johnson school this year (and if I get in) I can be done with a dual degree in 2012. I'm 27 years old (29 at matriculation), is it worth waiting around to take a shot at Yale next year? In some respects I feel like Johnson is a great school, my life is established in Ithaca, maybe I should take a stab at what is right in front of me (this is what my family and friends have said)...especially considering that I would get out of school a year earlier than if I were to wait for Yale (I'm getting old!). I don't know, what do you guys think?? What would you do?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Yale, Michigan, Cornell $$, Duke
 Q45  V46
Send PM
Also got the interview invite this morning around 9:45 Central. I have to credit GMATCLUB, on Sunday I complain about waiting to hear back, on Monday the invitation comes much earlier than expected. I submitted my application in the last 24 hours, so they must have started reading in a random order or I was on their radar for some reason.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
JoeYe wrote:
got interview today, nink, is it possible to give me your email? cos I really have something to consult you...
so excited and really need to be well prepared, cos Yale is my only choice.

You can PM me here instead

ROLL CALL PG UPDATED
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit/Public Management
Schools:Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Michigan, Duke
 Q50  V44
Send PM
orgninja wrote:
Also got the interview invite this morning around 9:45 Central. I have to credit GMATCLUB, on Sunday I complain about waiting to hear back, on Monday the invitation comes much earlier than expected. I submitted my application in the last 24 hours, so they must have started reading in a random order or I was on their radar for some reason.

Got an invite also :-D Around 11 am EST. I submitted my app a week early so it looks like the order is random...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
 Q42  V48
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Got an invite today as well - submitted my app about 5 hrs before the deadline. G'luck to everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
no invite yet :(
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  46