Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: Peer review - early career applicant [#permalink]
I think you should apply. Are you female by any chance? You minority profile will be very attractive to HBS. :) Write good essays and I think you have a shot.

Good luck.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
hi,

i have a similar profile as you (2 years WE, science/eng background). when you write your essays, make sure to focus on why you would contribute to the school and to the classes despite your age. also talk about what specifically you want to do post-mba, even if you're not 100% sure. make sure it relates to the work you had been doing in school and in your job. if it doesn't relate, then think of a really good reason why you want to switch (although since youre so young, that may raise some red flags - IMO it would be better to just stay with the same path you've been on).

i've only done one app so far (HBS), but i used all of the above elements in my applications and was able to get an invite, despite my age (im 23 now, will be 24 next year @ matriculation). HBS is unique in the top 10 schools that they are definitely trending younger. i think you'd have a good shot there if you can make a convincing argument as to why you belong there.

looking at your top 10 list, i'd venture to say you haven't yet put in a lot of effort as to what specific schools/programs you want to apply for :P . this is fine now, but for your essays , it's crucial that you have already done your homework about the specific schools and what programs they offer, so that you can write about SPECIFICS. just applying blindly to the top 10 programs in the country is a bad idea IMO. besides a waste of time/money in apps, you could have instead picked 3-4 schools that you know you like and concentrated your efforts on those.

finally, one big question that i've read was asked is "why get an MBA now?". it sounds like you don't have a really good reason for that (especially if you can get a promotion by staying an extra year). just something to think about. remember that your GMAT scores get saved for up to 5 years, so there's not necessarily a rush to get your app in this time around. good luck with whatever you choose
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
You're going to have a good shot just about anywhere (including H/S/W). However, I would not apply to that whole list. These applications are very draining if you put in the requisite time/effort needed to put together a quality one.

You should be fine if you target only the M7 -- but split them up over 2 rounds. 4 schools in R1, 3 in R2 (if needed).
GMAT Club Bot