Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Sustainability & Corporate Social Responsibility
Schools:Ross, Fuqua
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q42  V49
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink]
Pino - that's the prof you mean. He's a riot.

fugo wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
fugo wrote:

The class I attended was simply exceptional (esp when compared to other visits). I really liked the students i met, both the current students and the ones visiting which was good. On balance a good visit and I would recommend to anyone considering.

Fugo, do you mind sharing which class you visited? I always love hearing reports from the prospies, even if I'm not officially involved in admissions anymore.

It was the econ class with Pipo (don't recall instructors actual name but everyone called him Pipo iirc). He was hilarious - think he was central / south american and kept the class moving but made quite a few jokes. For an 8am class that i feared would have a bunch of sleepy kids- prof seemed to wake them up and get them involved in the class really well. too bad i couldnt stay for the second half.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Does anyone know if Duke has an "admissions blog" like some of the other schools, in which they give updates on the interview invite, admissions call, etc.?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
asimov wrote:
Does anyone know if Duke has an "admissions blog" like some of the other schools, in which they give updates on the interview invite, admissions call, etc.?

Oh no! Called out. That was something I was working on last year, but we never got it off the ground. I don't know if my successor has plans to get that going or not.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
any thoughts on attacking question 1 vs question 3? of course question 1 is the typical "career goals" but the second part seems to be asking "why Duke" and question 3 is all about fit/why duke. seems like i'm answering the same question twice. should i leave the second part of question 1 more generic and just make it "why an MBA"?

questions posted for reference:
1. Describe your vision for your career, your inspiration for pursuing this career path, and the role of The Duke MBA in achieving your goals (this seems like why Duke). If you are interested in a specific concentration or joint degree program, please discuss in this essay.

3. Individuals choose a business school for many different reasons. Through your research, what attributes or characteristics of The Duke MBA program have most resonated with you and why? (this is definitely why Duke) How do you plan to contribute to the strengthening and enhancement of those attributes and characteristics during your time at Duke and beyond?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance,General Management
Schools:Ross (R1-Admit)
Send PM
Your thoughts on Duke optional questions: those who have already applied how you approached the optional question.

If you don't have any extenuating circumstances to write about, could you still write some new stories that would strengthen the candidacy. Or, it would be better to leave the optional essay. Please share your thoughts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:HBS, Kellogg, Duke, Darden, Wharton
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Anyone else find it odd that Duke hasn't updated its class profile yet? Most business schools wait three months after graduation before publishing stats and employment numbers, so I'd think Duke would have updated its website by now.

I asked an admissions officer after an info session one night when they planned to update the class profile, but she didn't reveal anything (although she did smile really wide at the question). Thought I'd share because I found her reaction interesting... Makes you wonder what she knows that we don't :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
NCMBA2012 wrote:
Anyone else find it odd that Duke hasn't updated its class profile yet? Most business schools wait three months after graduation before publishing stats and employment numbers, so I'd think Duke would have updated its website by now.

I asked an admissions officer after an info session one night when they planned to update the class profile, but she didn't reveal anything (although she did smile really wide at the question). Thought I'd share because I found her reaction interesting... Makes you wonder what she knows that we don't :)

I just came from Cornell's site and the most recent class profile I came across was for class of 2009 and a 2008 employment report. I also find it odd that certain schools are very delayed in providing the stats applicants care about.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
NCMBA2012 wrote:

I just came from Cornell's site and the most recent class profile I came across was for class of 2009 and a 2008 employment report. I also find it odd that certain schools are very delayed in providing the stats applicants care about.

And the whole "apply for only $50" seems a little suspect too...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Ari123 wrote:
Your thoughts on Duke optional questions: those who have already applied how you approached the optional question.

If you don't have any extenuating circumstances to write about, could you still write some new stories that would strengthen the candidacy. Or, it would be better to leave the optional essay. Please share your thoughts.

If you have something substantive that is important - clarification, really specialized info - then share it. Don't think of it as "feel free to write an additional essay just because there is space."
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Ok, this is my recollection of a conversation I had with Liz Riley Hargrove last summer:

1. Is about your career. Where are you going, and why? How will Duke get you there?

3. Is about YOU, as a person. How will you fit into our community? Why do you want to be there? How will you contribute? How will you grow?

I can definitey see that there might be some overlap. For example, the very team-oriented, consensus-driven culture of Fuqua resonated on a personal level. At the same time (and in hindsight), I see that that culture really prepared me to succeed in my current job, where the culture is similar to that of Fuqua. Some arbitrary line-drawing is probably necessary.

Does that help?

2012dreams wrote:
any thoughts on attacking question 1 vs question 3? of course question 1 is the typical "career goals" but the second part seems to be asking "why Duke" and question 3 is all about fit/why duke. seems like i'm answering the same question twice. should i leave the second part of question 1 more generic and just make it "why an MBA"?

1. Describe your vision for your career, your inspiration for pursuing this career path, and the role of The Duke MBA in achieving your goals (this seems like why Duke). If you are interested in a specific concentration or joint degree program, please discuss in this essay.

3. Individuals choose a business school for many different reasons. Through your research, what attributes or characteristics of The Duke MBA program have most resonated with you and why? (this is definitely why Duke) How do you plan to contribute to the strengthening and enhancement of those attributes and characteristics during your time at Duke and beyond?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Is anyone going to the event in NYC on Monday? I assume business casual is acceptable?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
Ok, this is my recollection of a conversation I had with Liz Riley Hargrove last summer:

1. Is about your career. Where are you going, and why? How will Duke get you there?

3. Is about YOU, as a person. How will you fit into our community? Why do you want to be there? How will you contribute? How will you grow?

I can definitey see that there might be some overlap. For example, the very team-oriented, consensus-driven culture of Fuqua resonated on a personal level. At the same time (and in hindsight), I see that that culture really prepared me to succeed in my current job, where the culture is similar to that of Fuqua. Some arbitrary line-drawing is probably necessary.

Does that help?

2012dreams wrote:

Good insight.

For what it's worth, here are how mine shaped up.
1) Was mostly a summary of where I wanted to end up, including various experiences that I've had in my career that led me to that point. Since I am also planning on HSM, most of my why Duke portion of this essay was tailored to HSM, with a few broad Fuqua things as well.
3) I spent half of the essay describing four key areas that I saw at Fuqua and why they made me feel that Duke was the right fit for me. The other half I spent describing the areas that I would get involved in. So I approached it from sort of a why does duke fit me and why do i fit duke aspect - kind of what can you do for me, here's what I can do for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Wharton(R1), Kellogg(R1), Duke(R1), Columbia(RD), Booth(R2)
 Q50  V42
Send PM
In for R1
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: HSM
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
Send PM
Realize I stumbled upon the site a little late, but I applied EA. Did an open interview in mid-September.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke R1, Cornell R2, Columbia RD, Darden R2 (withdrawn), Ross R2
GMAT 2: 720  Q47  V41
Send PM
Applying R1 - didn't make it to EA. If I get in, it will be Duke. I visited several schools last year, but I loved Duke.
Writing essays now, hopefully everything will go well! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke R2, HBS R1
 Q49  V44
Send PM
In for R2! Good luck to everyone!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: HSM
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
Send PM
Just wondering - has anybody applied EA and already attended an open interview had their app status change from "Submitted?" First time going through this and I submitted at the very tail end of the window, just trying to get a better picture so i can stop checking the app website every 2-3 hours. :-D

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts