Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: Indian School of Business 2010-11 thread [#permalink]
ISBtarget wrote:
Hi Buddy,

Now that your essay has won interview for you, could you please share your experience about the 3 essays....basics of what we should focus and what not, given the fact that it is all 300 words, i was not even able to write one real life example completely.

Check out this site, it has quite a good number of different essays
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/mb ... ssays.html
I found this link while working on my essays.

Also, I found the analysis done by thinkISB really helpful. I have posted the link to their essay analysis in one of my previous post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
ISBtarget wrote:
Hi Buddy,

Now that your essay has won interview for you, could you please share your experience about the 3 essays....basics of what we should focus and what not, given the fact that it is all 300 words, i was not even able to write one real life example completely.

Hey, I still haven't crossed the final hurdle :| . Anyway if my suggestions could be of any help to you, here it is.

• When you start writing the essay, don't worry about the word limits, write as much as you want - maybe 400-500 words or even more. Once you think you have written all the things, start deleting the sentences / words which you think are not important.
  • Once you are done with one of the essays, leave it and start focusing on other essay. After a break of 3-4 days go back to your previous essay and you would be surprised by the new ideas coming to your mind.
  • Get it reviewed by your friends / wife. It would be really great if you can get it reviewed by ISB alumni.
  • Be honest, remember during interview the adcom can grill you on anything from your essays.

Essay 1: Give 3 reasons as to why you should be selected to the class of 2011. These reasons should ideally differentiate you from the applicant pool and should be backed with some data. (300 words max)

• List down all the points which you think are your strong point. It will take a few days, but think think and think about all the accomplishments / initiatives / ECs etc you have participated in since your college days. Ask your friends about your positive points. Once you think you have listed quite a few qualities, choose the best three among them.
  • Remember all the qualities should be backed with some real life example
  • Try to relate some of your qualities with ISB programs / clubs / subjects etc. A basic example - extensive exp in your field can add value to the ISB case studies.

Essay 2: Describe a challenging assignment you have handled (at work or outside) to date. What were the challenges and how did you handle them. What were the personal learnings you derived from this assignment. (300 words max)
  • This essay would be more like a story. The assignment could be any assignment from your professional or personal life.
  • Remember, MBA adcom wants to hear something big. So finding a bug in ten thousand lines of Java code can be challenging for IT professional, but may not impress adcom. So focus more on bigger picture.
  • Try to write in such a way that it would sound as if it was kindda complete disaster for you. For example, you can say I was completely devastated with the situation and wanted to run away, but still you (along with your team) overcome all the hurdles and did blah blah blah.
  • Mentioning and team is a good idea, as it will present your leadership qualities

Essay 3: Briefly assess your career progression till date along with your assessment of your future career goals. Discuss how your career goals will be met by the ISB’s one year program. (300 words max)
  • Again, this essay would be like a story. You can start from your under graduation, mention why you chose the subject and how you moved to the particular industry.
  • Mention your achievements / major awards / promotions in the essay.
  • Also mention what you have done so far to move towards your post-MBA career goal.
  • Be very precise and clear on your thoughts about why MBA will help you achieve your career goal

awesome man....thanks a lot
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: 660 Gmat.. chances of making to ISB? [#permalink]
agaamit wrote:
Hey all

I am in serious need of an advice. I gave gmat yesterday and managed to get 660 (Q50, V28). The result came in as a surprsie as I was do going well on GMAT prep and Manhattan with a median score of 680 - 700. I want to do Mba in finance from ISB. Considering other personal reasons, i have to get an admit in ISB for 2010

My profile:
1. Working as Business Analyst in IT firm (one of the top 3 IT firms in India) with around 6 years of work experience in BFSI
2. Passed Chartered Finance Analyst Level2 (USA) and would be giving level 3 next year
3. Certifications: SCJP, Green Belt, Lean Six Sigma, NSE beginners module
4. Have received awards and appreciation from clients.
5. Can get a recommendation from VP of an asset managment firms with whom i was working earlier.

It would be really appreicated if someone can advice. Also, how beneficial is post graduation? I was looking at XLRI and SP Jain Dubai Global Mba. Any comments ?

For ISB the 80% GMAT score distribution is 680-760 with average being 716. At the sametime ISB has admitted applicants with score as low as 600.

Though I don't wanna scare you, but since you are from the most typical pool - IT Indian Male - I would suggest if it is possible you should consider a GMAT retake. A good gmat score will keep you competitive :) .With the current score of 660, you'll need to have something extra-ordinary in your application and must have very strong essays.

To get suggestions from thinkISB (ISB consultants and Alumni body) you can drop in your queries on the below thread:
please-join-me-in-welcoming-thinkisb-to-gmat-club-84103.html

Regarding XLRI and SPJain, these both are very reputed institutes, but I think you already have missed the application deadlines of SPJain. Checkout the below link for all Indian B-Schools accepting GMAT score:
indian-b-schools-accepting-gmat-scores-82525.html
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
ISBtarget wrote:
awesome man....thanks a lot

Added one more point to the career essay:
  • Be very specific about your career goal and clearly specify role, industry, sector etc. For example, if you say consultancy, then make sure you specify what kind of consultancy, sector (IT, HR, Management etc) and what companies you are targeting (specify 2 or 3 names). Also make sure that these companies visit ISB campus ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi guys,

I am in for the R2. Gave my GMAT this september. Got 700(V39 Q47 AWA 5). last time around it was 640(V29 Q48 AWA 4.5).

I went for a campus visit earlier(just a couple of days before the R1 deadline) and met one of the admission officers. From our brief discussion I could make out that there isn't any drastic change with the no of applications this year since last. And that they are having a 50/50 allocation for each round.

Some things which she wanted me to have in my mind,

Don't fret over the gmat scores, anything around 700 (+-20) is pretty good for ISB's non-traditional applicant(non IIM!). For IT friends 740(+-20 shud be good).

GMAT and GPA are something which are out of our hands now. Essays are something which we could work upon from now. Try to get the best story out in our essays. MAKE SURE there are no repetitions of info. given elsewhere in the application. Spelling mistakes and grammatical errors are taken VERY VERY seriously. Also dont try to cook up stories, they wud easily find out. Start working on the essays as soon as you can and get it reviewed by atleast 2-3 ppl.

Though I have these things to say, I am no good either.

I haven't got even my first draft till now for any of the essays. I thought of listing all those accomplishments of mine in a CV like format and then draw information from it when constructing my essays. What do you guys feel?

I hope I would be able to work on the essays smoothly once I get a start. But that is being a problem now, a big one!

Btw I am a civil engineer (Apr2007), Chennai, 2Y10M work ex by Apr10, First year with an Architect and currently in my family business, decent extra curriculars(symposium,papers etc).

Hope we all can connect together here for the application preparation, the interviews and then at the class of 2011 ISB!

Vijay
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
great post Vijay! Being an IT professional, I agree with you on the gmat score range for IT background applicants (the most typical profile of applicants).

herovijay wrote:
I haven't got even my first draft till now for any of the essays. I thought of listing all those accomplishments of mine in a CV like format and then draw information from it when constructing my essays. What do you guys feel?

In my case what I did was to list down all my accomplishments as bullet points on my note-book. I kept adding the points whenever something hit my mind. Keep extra space between each point in case you want to add some extra details later. Ask your friends, colleagues, relatives to help you identify more and more points.

Now from this list I picked those points which seemed to be the most important one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
bigoyal,

when are you expecting result of interview?
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
ankit1456 wrote:
bigoyal,

when are you expecting result of interview?

It would be sometime towards the last week of November. This waiting is really killing me :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
is 580 and in gmat and the profile will help get into ISB [#permalink]
Hi

In order to start with I gave my GMAT on 29th OCT and got a score of 580 ( Q-44, V-27) ...I know the scores are not gr88 but still would like to know what is that i could get in this score in mba schools across the world .

I have been working 4 yrs into it industry , in companies like Capgemini and Deloitte Consulting . I am a very good hand at paintaing and done a 8 yr course in that .always participated in various kinds of plays and extra curruclar activities and also in my current organisation that is Deloitte ...

I have done my engineering from Pune University , with 60 % agrregate marks .
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
Today I gave the GMAT and got just 710. In Nov 2008, I had gotten 620. I am from the Indian IT Male (IIM) pool too. Do I have any chances now for ISB...?I cannot even take the GMAT again, since I need to wait till Dec 3, by which time R2 deadline is over. I have total 5 yrs exp now(2.5 yrs onsite exp).

Waiting for some replies...
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
gmatbestshot wrote:
Hi,
Today I gave the GMAT and got just 710. In Nov 2008, I had gotten 620. I am from the Indian IT Male (IIM) pool too. Do I have any chances now for ISB...?I cannot even take the GMAT again, since I need to wait till Dec 3, by which time R2 deadline is over. I have total 5 yrs exp now(2.5 yrs onsite exp).

Waiting for some replies...

Your GMAT score is still on the higher side. I would say give it a shot. Make your application and essays strong by highlighting extra-curricular, awards, achievements and your onsite exp.

I'm also an applicant like you. To get answers from ISB experts, you can also post your query with some more details on the below link:
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: is 580 and in gmat and the profile will help get into ISB [#permalink]
Hi preetibaronia,
I would strongly suggest you to consider retaking GMAT if you are applying for ISB. Your extra-curricular looks good, but remember IT Indian males comprises of the most typical pool of applicants, though being a female gives you a very slight extra advantage.
For ISB the 80% GMAT score distribution is 680-760 with average being 716. At the sametime ISB has admitted applicants with score as low as 600, provided the application is very very strong.

To get suggestions from thinkISB (ISB consultants and Alumni body) you can drop in your queries on the below thread:

Checkout the below link for other Indian B-Schools accepting GMAT score:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
Hi preetibaronia,
I would strongly suggest you to consider retaking GMAT if you are applying for ISB. Your extra-curricular looks good, but remember IT Indian males comprises of the most typical pool of applicants, though being a female gives you a very slight extra advantage.
For ISB the 80% GMAT score distribution is 680-760 with average being 716. At the sametime ISB has admitted applicants with score as low as 600, provided the application is very very strong.

Checkout the below link for other Indian B-Schools accepting GMAT score:

Thanks for the reply , the only problem is if i give the exam again then i would be able to apply after dec 1st 2010 which is the last deadline for this yr as i need more then a month to increase my scores . Is there any possibility that i apply and submit my scores later. Let me know about it
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
preetibaronia wrote:
Thanks for the reply , the only problem is if i give the exam again then i would be able to apply after dec 1st 2010 which is the last deadline for this yr as i need more then a month to increase my scores . Is there any possibility that i apply and submit my scores later. Let me know about it

Though I think there are few days given for sending the official score from mba.com, but still in the application you have to mention your gmat score without which probably you'll not be able to submit your on-line form. Regarding the exact dates for sending the gmat score, I would suggest you to get in touch with isb.
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Btw, I would just put a disclaimer that I'm not an expert and above suggestion is what I felt. I'm also an applicant like you, applied in R1 and waiting for the results. So you may like to get a feedback / suggestion from an alumni or an experienced person.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi...Thanks for ur reply...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I remember seeing in the ISB website that though the official GMAT score can be sent after the deadline, the candidate should have taken GMAT before the deadline. The unofficial GMAT score needs to be mentioned in the application form. And AFAIK, you can't update the GMAT score after applying. Check it once for yourself. I couldn't find the exact place where I read this.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7