Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Re: Countdown begins!! [#permalink]
And its DONE!!!
Jus got back..charged up!!Expected a 580-610 'cos had messed up quant..broke down in the loo bet. the Q-V break..even forgot the names of 2 universities that i wanted to send scores too(Imagine!)
and the result is:
670(Q44 V38)

Don't know abt u 700+ fellas but I am very satisfied.This was my one and only shot and I am mighty pleased.
Thank you so much all of you..

I'll posta long debrief very soon:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
tejal777 wrote:
And its DONE!!!
Jus got back..charged up!!Expected a 580-610 'cos had messed up quant..broke down in the loo bet. the Q-V break..even forgot the names of 2 universities that i wanted to send scores too(Imagine!)
and the result is:
670(Q44 V38)

Don't know abt u 700+ fellas but I am very satisfied.This was my one and only shot and I am mighty pleased.

Hey Tejal777, all that really matters is that YOU are happy :)
Reading this message makes me very happy for you. Congratulations and all the best for your applications!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Wow.....A very decent score.......I am very very happy for your score.

One step towards MBA goal is reached. Good luck with your applications......
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Congrats tejal. It's very rewarding to see the pay off from your hard work.

Best of luck with your applications.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
tejal777 wrote:
And its DONE!!!
and the result is:
670(Q44 V38)

Congrats Tejal .... thats good score and strong application will boost your chance.
Good luck with them and do post your debrief.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Own Kudos [?]: 250 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
 Q48  V32
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats Tejal very good score and u r happy -most important

:( too bad I wont be seeing any more questions from you on GMAT Q/V, most of the questions I wanted to post were posted by you :)....
now I have to do it myself :))
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 389 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:IU KSB
Send PM
Kudos
tejal777 wrote:
And its DONE!!!
and the result is:
670(Q44 V38)

Congratulation!!

Please share some tips for verbal. I took GMAT a week ago and messed up verbal part. My score Q49/V24 AWA 4.5
Planing to retake the GMAT soon. Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Thanks a lot guys!
@srini: really?!lol....I won't be posting any more questions but I am thinking of coming back and helping u guys in thebest way I can..It would'nt have been possible with u!!
Feel free to email me ANY time you want!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Countdown begins>>Has ended:) [#permalink]
Congrats Tejal,

670 is a good score, in the middle 80 of all the top schools. GMAT's done, so go relax and have some fun!

Good luck with the apps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [10]
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Kudos
It seems impossible until its done.

Here it is.. another debrief..of the many available on the site.. cannot compare myself to the greats here, but yes, I am a satisfied soul today and it’s all thanks to you guys!*choke up here*

My GMAT journey has ended for now, but would I give it again if I had the opportunity?Yes.Give me one more month and the SAME resources and I’ll get a figure of 700+.I am that confident because in the last days before the exam you achieve something of a nirvana, you realize where you went wrong.. ..I have no plans of appearing anytime soon and so I would like to help everyone here to learn from my mistakes

Everyone wants a 700 score. who would’nt?But my suggestion to everyone out there is “do not go blindly after a score, go for the score that will satisfy you”.Remember,if you have never scored a 700 on your practice tests(No people, getting a score of 700 after multiple retakes of Gprep does NOT count),you are only setting yourself up for disappointment by expecting God to grace you with magical powers on test day. As the enlightened Calvin says:

The world isn’t fair..but why isn’t it ever fair in MY direction??”

I repeatedly got an average of 660 in my tests and you will find many threads where I am seeking help.. trying to get over the barrier. So before my test I said to myself “Just do to the best of your capability. Get 660 in the real thing. you have gotten it time and again at home so shouldn’t be a biggie”-this relieved the tension. You are not aiming high, you are aiming at your level and you know its achievable. I suggest you guys try it..

I derive inspiration from music and I found this website on the day before the exam,did’nt get a chance to use it but FYI:)

https://testprepny.com/pages/products_gmat.htm

3-4 days before the exam:
Didn’t feel like studying..heard the same reaction from other people too. If you fall under this category, don’t fret. You don’t feel like studying? DON’T. I studied a bit and the first day fretted that I wasn’t able to.. after that I just let go.Whats done is done. If you haven’t been able to change your score in so long, fat chances you’ll get it done in the last couple of days..Ohh right. you have magical powers..!Then that’s different! :0

Pre-test day:
Made plans to chill in the evening so I knew I have only limited time if I wanted to study. Just went over my notes and flash cards. Did a couple of SC and CR from prep test I had taken and most importantly already reviewed...this gives you confidence because you recall your learning’s and realize," hell..I know something!"

As a wise friend once said:
You got a 660?Okay..so contrary to what you think, you do know SOMETHING. If not, you would have gotten something in 400’s..
**Revel in the enlightened moment here**

Found this article on stress-relieving..VERY helpful:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/strategy-series-stress.cfm

Anyways, so after going through each section, I was getting a bit anxious, so left it all, met up with a friend and had a blast. Came back>dinner>Off to sleep.

Test day:
I had my exam at 10:00 Am, decided to leave by 8:15(Monday, work-traffic).Didn’t get up too early. The more time you have, the more panicky you will become. Just went through my notes for an hr…on the way kept reading all the encouraging msgs from friends:

“You can do it!”
“It’s just a test..not the end of the world you know”
“Make sure you stay calm”
“You better do well I want my treat”
“Don’t forget to Breathe!!”
“Time for handwork to pay off”
“Make sure if you encounter a hottie you take his number!!
”lol..

Side note here: I had made sure to take three things:
My glasses(I wear contacts) Please people take them as a precaution. The two times I have had problems with my contacts in the 10 years I have worn them, BOTH were in mid-exam when I was in college.
Take my acidity medicine(Long hrs of tension gives me headaches and acidity..sheesh..what all I have to reveal for you guys!)
My jacket(Its 24C here..ya laugh.. I’ll be laughing when you freeze you’re a** off in the super cold test environment) Was I glad of this move! I was freezing even with my trusty jacket on!

Test experience:
Entered and saw two guys chatting about how they had 8 years of work-ex and how one of them had gone over ALL the AWA topics(it had taken him a week if you are curious)
Decided to not take part in any conversation with them and stood alone in a corner(Yes ofcourse this was after I gave the AWA guy weird looks)

AWA:Had not prepared much here but did’nt take too much pressure..

Is AWA important: Yes,in terms of strength. When you are reviewing your practice tests do not forget to do a search on your AWA topic! That way you don’t have to worry about AWA much.
Do I have to work hard for AWA: Not really, if you are doing your AWA’s with your tests you should be fine.

Break: Came out. One of the parents of a girl who entered late were waiting for me with awaited breath(Yes,parents.You got it right)I was gobbling up my sandwich even though I wasn’t hungry while they went with ‘How was it? Was it good? Was it good or VERY good? Which colleges you applying? Our daughter is sitting on the other comp..*Bad looks ensued here* They got the point and I prayed and headed to conquer the quant section:

Quant is my weak point. I have seen many people here masters of math, getting 49-50 with a yawn. Not me. struggled and struggled and struggled even more. Never got to the target of even 48.I knew my test was going bad, the questions were easy, with each question I got disappointed, a sinking feeling.. oh no. I am screwing it up.. made sure not to make silly mistakes in my terrified state..

In the Q-V break: The turning point:
I almost broke down in the loo..i knew I had made a mess of everything.. I was so disheartened... Looked at myself in the mirror and couldnt help but think that all my efforts had gone to waste.. it was all over.. I had read stories of how the Quant mood carries over to the Verbal... which in itself is a tiny monster waiting to chew your head off... I gathered my courage, jumped up and down and wonder of wonders…Got Angry!
Will I let the exam win? NO!
Will I give up halfway? NO!
Will I let my handwork go to waste? NO! No ..NO WAY!
I actually made boxing actions before I headed in..:)

Verbal:
Couldn’t really predict. I thought it was all too easy. For RC this is what I thought before plunging in:

You find RC’s difficult? I mean are u freaking serious? The answers are right there under your nose, all you have to do is READ and comprehend, and you find that Difficult? Boring? Pathetic! All you have to do is READ! You can do it!”

(Mentioning the above strategy b'coz we have all been there..read a passage n' then look up and say..WHAT DID I just READ?..more so 'cos GMAT makes sure that it gives us the most boring,lengthy and incomprehensible reads..ya I know...What joy indeed)

When it was time to see my scores, my hands were shaking.. I had finished BOTH section with 5 mins to spare.(No.. you cannot judge me)I did’nt think I had the courage, told myself: if you were meant to cry, you will, if not, you’ll not. Closed my eyes and expected 580/610 honestly..prayed,chanted and opened my eyes. there it was:
670(Q44 V38)
Too numb…

In the end :Guys, Work hard.. My hard work played off on the day of the test. all the Sc’s day after day after day.. Do NOT give up. even if you have messed up Quant remember. that’s just 50% of the paper! You can face others with a low score, how the hell will you face yourself wen you know that you gave up midway?

Looking back:
I started this forum when I didn’t even know what the acronyms OG,AWA etc stood for..would’nt have been able to do this without all your support! One of the mistakes I did was when I asked questions(And oh man did I ask silly ones!)I didn’t take the time out and follow the thread. Make sure you do that. In the last one week make sure to revisit ALL the questions you asked. I didn’t have the time and heck I had like hundred’s of posts!

Now you get to read articles which guide you through everything.. make use of it! It was too late for me but I have seen articles from experts which tell you how to analyze practice tests, the correct way of using Gprep, the right way of going about SC’s..Use these!!

Tip: When making notes/flash cards do not just write the rule down. Also mention how it is used. I realized it too late though. But you guys def, do it.
E.g.:
Rule: to find the no. of integers within the range use last-first/range+1
Sample: Gprep question like sum of integers between 99 and 301..
Rule: Being is almost always redundant except…
Sample: write down the sentence you encountered where “being” was properly used.

Materials:
Didn’t really use Kap800 and PR1012.
OG11,VR,QR OG12(last 50 questions each section)
Sc1000 (around 100 questions. searched EACH one in the forum. if you are not going to do this please do not use this resource)
Brutal SC (oh man oh man. do not keep this for the very last...my suggestion do it in the beginning and you will realize where you stand *shudders at the thought*)
Grockit (a bit), Magoosh (loved this one)>Use these fun tools guys. especially when you don’t feel like studying or are too tired.
Found the SC and Quant list of Gprep too late(these are the compiled questions from prep floating around in the forums)Wish I had found it sooner.. real gem. .do these after you are done with your final prep.

Remember:

We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons. - Jim Rohm

In the very end, I know that I am at no par with the gurus here.. they have infinite knowledge and are much better teachers than I am.. but I guess there are many people like me who do not use or even know all the fancy terms of especially SC.. who want the simplest approach without being too technical or remembering too many rules. People out there..jus buzz me. I’ll be here. Its too eerie to not get up and visit this site after I have done it for months!!

Any questions? Buzz me!

Originally posted by tejal777 on 09 Nov 2009, 20:15.
Last edited by tejal777 on 14 Nov 2009, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
wow! one of the most entertaining de-briefs I have read so far. To the point, no-BS de-brief -- just lays it out the way it is.

Well done!

tejal777 wrote:
“Make sure if you encounter a hottie you take his number!!”lol..

I was there, but you never asked for it.....You were too busy taking the test! 8-)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations and thank you for sharing!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
congrats tejal, u did it ..very good debrief...good presentation....after all AWA skills are showing up a bit....:))
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Very honest and entertaining debrief.

Thanks for this and have a great future ahead. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Thanks guys..I am done with GMAT but not yet with GMATCLUB 8-)

Lemme know if i can be of help in any way.

Tejal.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
woaahh....what an entertaining debrief.....Congrats Tejal!For someone like me who have flopped Gmat 1st time,this is an inspiration.....In case i need any help from your side,will let you know for sure.....enjoy!its definitely celebrations now! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1691 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hi Tejjal

First of all congratz for your score 670 is good enough to get into some some good universitiy
and can u please do me a favour....

If you have the GMAT PREP maths questions, one that have been compiled in a word doc.
please pass it on..or give me the link so that I can download it.

Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4