Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Foreign Market Development, Investment Strategy
Schools:Georgetown '12
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink]
unhedged wrote:
The adcoms said to play it safe by writing an essay instead of trying to be creative?? Thats a very mixed message. I did something creative (not narrative/photo collage) and took a chance in doing so, but I thought the attempt to be creative would at least count for SOMETHING.

Exactly. I too thought they would value creativity. One of students who i spoke too created a crossword. Now that is creative !

On a separate note, does anybody know if i can just give the third essay supplements in person to the admissions committee or even put it in some drop box outside their office ? I stay pretty close to the city and its easier for me to stop by the school. Also that gives me some more time to work on the essay :-D
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:R1: Stanford, Booth, Stern; R2: Columbia, Anderson, McCombs, Marshall
 Q45  V45
GPA: 3.68
WE 1: 4 years, corporate event planning
Send PM
I am writing an essay for #3. I struggled for weeks about how I should approach this and tried to think of better ideas. I'm scared that the adcom will dock me for lack of creativity, but when I think to myself about how I would introduce myself to people, an essay just seems to be best. I'm not an arts and crafts person at all, and it would be completely out of character to "make something" creative as an introduction about myself. If the core purpose of the question is to get to know me, I'm okay with the fact that "creativity" in the artistic sense is not really my strong suit, and never has been.

I guess writing an essay could be considered "playing it safe" - but if writing is a strength, I think it's the way to go. If the ultimate goal is for them to get to know you, making something unusual just for the sake of trying to be creative goes against the spirit of the question, doesn't it?

Just my two cents - that's how I rationalized sticking to a regular essay. Of course, if I had some great light bulb idea (like the crossword idea - that is awesome and I wish I'd thought of something like that), I'd probably be thinking differently. I would have been pretty comfortable doing a PowerPoint, and I think I made a great intro about myself for Chicago. But the strong chance that they'd look down upon any PPT period eliminates that option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
 Q45  V46
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Oil and gas
Send PM
Anyone asked about word count for regular essays? Mine are getting close to 10% over but I can't bear to cut anything! Should I be ruthless or can I use the 10% cushion?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
i didnt go over the limits at all because the guideline said "maximum"

for essay 3, if one makes an assumption that adcom is truly holistic, then the media used shouldnt matter as long as your story comes through without the adcom having a technical degree.

one of my strengths is music and since they don't allow sending in audio etc, i chose to go with an essay. sue me for not making a collage or a crossword puzzle.
Current Student
Send PM
FYI

Just spoke to someone from the admissions committee. Supplements for the 3rd essay should reach the stern office before 9 AM Monday to be eligible for 1st round.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Tech Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck
 Q50  V44
Send PM
sorry for the confusion. i meant the current students that gave a talk during my class visit that said to play it safe, not the adcomm. not sure of the official party line on the issue
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
vishwa wrote:
FYI

Just spoke to someone from the admissions committee. Supplements for the 3rd essay should reach the stern office before 9 AM Monday to be eligible for 1st round.

weird. website clearly states must be postmarked by deadline date. did they directly refute that?
Current Student
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
vishwa wrote:
FYI

weird. website clearly states must be postmarked by deadline date. did they directly refute that?

I even asked the lady if its okay to hand over the supplements by lunch. She said it has to be before 9AM.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:NYU, Cornell
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Vishwa, she probably meant that if you are giving the essay 3 supplement in person, you have to have it in by Monday morning. The application instructions clearly state that if you are mailing it, it just needs to be postmarked by Nov. 15 (which, I guess really means Nov. 14, right? since the post office isn't open on Sundays).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Schools:Columbia(RD-ding w/o int),
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Count me in for R1 as well !
I mailed my essay 3 yesterday! Now time to make sure my recommenders dont miss the deadline.
I still have to fill out the application form online. How long does that take?
Also, last minute changes and proof-reading for Essays 1 and 2..Phew! only 48 hours to go
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
Kudos
I just called the Adm. office and they said ONLY if it's being brought in person does it need to be in their hands by 9 am Monday morning. If you're sending it by mail it just has to be postmarked by 11/15.

Also--app is submitted and 100% complete (pending the arrival of my essay #3 in the mail) as of last night! so excited to have this one done!! good luck to everyone!!

I would LOVE to hear from Stern before Christmas regarding interview invite--that would make me SO happy going into the holidays. Looks like that's not the norm, but it would be amazing. Fingers crossed...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
Size limits came from people sending huge things that the school needs to keep records of.

Different schools provide different access options to careers - no school will get you in to PE, period. VC opportunities Stanford or Harvard are good for, Harvard has the lock historically on a bunch of HF because they are alum, but still that is an outside bet I think. That said, I know NYU grads from the past two years in PE, HF and VC - it is about you and what you do, not simply the school.

Write an essay for essay 3 if that is what suits you best. Around half all students write essays - it doesn't have to be a mission. I think a powerpoint screams "chicago" now (just field research should show that) and I would be confident the Adcom are tuned in to that.

Keep in mind that the students doing tours have only been doing them alone for a few weeks, and a crowd heading in to 1st round is intimidating to anyone after a day of classes. Some people may find it easy, some may think they will and find they can't, and for some it is sheer torture. They really try to be honest about the school and are being realistic in that schools aren't for everyone and cost $250 each to apply to. I could tell everyone they should go to NYU as it was right for me, but I have never consumed enough purple kool-aid to think that means it is the case for everyone.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
One thing I found is that Stern specifically requests you to mention what other schools you are applying to in the app page.

1. Wont they know anyway when they get the GMAT Score transcript?

2. What information are they trying to get out of this? Just so that they don't accept people who seem to be 'applying' to them as a 'safety' ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Tech Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck
 Q50  V44
Send PM
i think i heard at an info session somewhere that it doesn't factor into your eval. they are trying to figure out their "peer schools" in the mind of applicants. they would rather you apply to NYU and Wharton than NYU and some TTT mba program. not sure if thats just BS and the reasons you listed are the real ones though :shock:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
question -

i submitted on thursday. i forgot and left the section where they ask which other schools I'm applying to blank. think i'm screwed? should i call them up and convey that information?

please help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
 Q45  V46
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Oil and gas
Send PM
I wouldn't. If they wanna know that bad, they'll ask...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Mgmt.
 Q50  V40
Send PM
need some advice on the work history spreadsheet
i worked in an IT services company and we basically do IT consulting for different clients
with each client project my role changed ... it is appropriate to explain this as different rows withing the same employer name?

for instance
employer2 role1 start-end left for reason1
employer2 role2 start-end left for reason2
employer1 role3 start-end left for reason3
employer1 role4 start-end left for reason4
employer1 role5 start-end left for reason5
employer1 role6 start-end left for reason6
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  54