Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: MBA Application Consultant
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Submit Profile Evalutions [#permalink]
Thanks a ton Brett .. point taken .. I will elaborate the 6 yrs of my work-ex in a few days ...perhaps you can provide me a better insight then ..

Thanks again for your response ...looking forward to an extended conversation ..

~Vivek
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Mortgage
Send PM
Hi Brett, not sure if this thread is still checked but thought I would submit my profile to get your thoughts -

3.4 gpa from UNC-Kenan-Flagler for undergrad

710 gmat

2 years with HSBC in a management training program (company was shut down in the US in February right before I was scheduled for a promotion)

1 year as a mortgage banker for a local, direct lender.

I"m hoping for at least top 20, with top 10 schools as a reach. I appreciate any feedback!
Send PM
Hi WMCrocket,

Work Experience: A competitive background but having worked in two different companies will help you with your essays as well as your resume. One concern I see with applicants with finance background is leadership examples/experience. Is this an area that you have good stories for?

GPA: Is solid.

GMAT: Also a solid score

Applicant Pool: The other down side to your work background is that is a competitive pool. I would really look to develop your niche/angle within the essays to establish yourself as not just another financial type (sorry). One way to do this is through what you want to do afterwards. Do you have a clear idea of your post-MBA short and long-term goals? This will help establish yourself.

Overall: I think you definitely have a chance at the 20-10 range schools with the right application and story. Your GPA and GMAT are solid, so you don't have weaknesses there to overcome and in this way you can focus on doing things that make your application memorable.

How are your applications coming along? Feel free to email me directly at brett@ivyappsuccess.com as the communication is a bit easier. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Profile Evaluation (GMAT 700) [#permalink]
Hi,

I have scored 700 in GMAT (Quant-49, Verbal-37).

I am having 18 months of experience as a Senior Programmer in Accenture. I am also a member of Event Management Team and Newsletter Team of my project.

I have cleared CFA level I.

I am 3 times state level runners up in Table Tennis tournament.

During my college, I was the chairperson and vice chairperson of IETE and ISTE societies. I was also the Student Pupil Leader in my school.

I am an active social worker. I have been a part of Ambuja Cement Foundation for past 4 years.

I am planninng to pursue my mba in 2011. I have shortlisted a few colleges :
NewYork University(Stern)
MIT(SLOAN)
University of Verginia(Darden)
Nanyang
NUS
ISB
Emory

Kindly let me know my chances.

Appreciate your help
Send PM
Work Experience: Senior Programmer sounds as if it has strong leadership responsibilities, which will definitely add to your application. If you only have 18 months of work experience, however, you are a bit under the 5 year average (I think you probably have more than 18 months though). Not sure what the CFA would do for your application but make sure that you demonstrate why you want an MBA as the CFA tests might get adcom worried that you are wishy-washy about going to grad school.

GMAT Score: Solid GMAT score, well done.

Extra curricular: Very strong. "I am 3 times state level runners up in Table Tennis tournament" - I challenge you :) All these will build character in your application and help you get recognized by adcom.

Overall: Why are you not applying this year? Sounds as if you have a solid application. When you do apply, I believe you have a good shot at these schools. I'm actually currently working with a client who just applied to Stern with a similar story. Email me at Brett@Ivyappsuccess.com if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Emory
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks a ton for the valuable inputs.. :)

As far as the work exp. is concerned, I have completed 18 months only. Hence, I was planning to apply for 2011 mba. By that time, I will have completed almost 3 yrs.

As I want to switch to Financial domain, I completed CFA Level I. (Thought this would help in my MBA selection process)

Based on my profile, can you suggest me a few good schools so that i can start working on their essays.

Thanks again. Appreciate your help.

Cheers.
Gaurav
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
hi

here is my profile

Work exp: 4+ years exp in a IT Company. The role varied from a software engg,Onsite coordinator(Leading a team of 6-8 people). I have worked across location in India,US.

I am a active social worker(i have little to prove,because this is something i love to do and dont believe in getting fame out of this)

I am not in sports becuase of some physical conditions.

I have had the exp of running a business at a very young age.

I took GMAT 2 years back and had a score of 610. So i am planning to take it again. But is it the right time to take it and apply for 2010?

Thanks
Sachin
Send PM
Work Experience: 4+ years is perfect for applying to business school. Leading a team of 6-8 is great and will definitely help you get accepted into school and international experience also helps

GMAT Score: If you're targeting top schools, 610 is low. Consider retaking it if you want to get into the top 15 range.

Competition Level of Applicant Pool: IT Indian is the most competitive applicant pool so you're essays and application has to really stand out. Currently, I am working with several Indians - one who just applied to Stern - and if you email me I'd be happy to elaborate on how I helped him.

GPA:

Overall: Your active social work will help you separate from a competitive applicant pool. An experience of running a business at a very young age is another plus for your application and my biggest concern for you - if you decide to take the GMAT again - is getting everything in by the R2 deadlines. You didn't tell me the schools you would like to apply to I can not properly assess your chances but for top schools you'll want to the GMAT again to have a chance. Email me directly at brett@ivyappsuccess.com to talk a bit more about strategy and how we might help.

Thanks

Thanks
Sachin
Intern
Intern
Schools:MIT R2, Berkeley R2, Chicago R2
 Q50  V36
GPA: undergrad 5.62 of 7.00 master 6.5 of 7.0
Send PM
Hi Brett

GMAT: 710 (50Q/36V/4.5AWA)
GPA: Undergrad (5.62/7.00) Master (6.5/7.0)
Degree. Industrial Engineer & Master of Science in Engeneering
University. Best university of Chile
Experience: The World Bank. Will have 2 years of experience by fall 2010.

Extras: Director of amateur basketball team in Chile, Master Thesis is a Working Paper, Lots of TAing in Finance and Math classes.

Target Schools (in no particular order): MIT Sloan, Berkeley Haas, Chicago Booth, UCLA Anderson

Do you think I have a chance?
Send PM
Hi alfastudillo,

Great GMAT score, undergraduate GPA is fine and Masters is great. Engineering can be a somewhat difficult background to make you stand out for these schools. Do you have leadership experience within work?

Great extracurricular activities and an added bonus of leadership experience outside work (basketball).

My concern is only your ability to demonstrate leadership and your years of work experience. The Masters will help compensate for only 2 yrs of work experience but most schools are looking for around 5 years of work experience so to get accepted, you’ll want to:

1. Demonstrate work experience and Masters
2. Demonstrate leadership in and outside work
3. Give concrete reasons for wanting an MBA now
4. Have a clear image of what you want to do post-MBA.

Other than the work experience I believe you have a solid chance at getting admitted into one of your schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
Send PM
Hi BrettN,

Age-28
Male, Indian

Score-620(Q-44,V-31) in second attempt, 550(Q-42,V-23) was in first attempt.
Work exp.- A total work experience of 4 years till date in banking and insurance industry. Currently working for 2 years with one of the top life insurance company as a senior sales manager in Third party distribution for two states. managing some 50 distributors and a team of 15 people. Prior to this was a financial consultant with a MNC bank in wealth management of the customers.
Education-Graduation in sciences, hons degree(3 yrs,first class, university topper), PG diploma in management(2yrs,second class).

Non US Schools in consideration-
1.HKUST
2.Nanyang
3.Manchester Business School
4.Warwick

US Schools in consideration-Please suggest.

Would be thankful if you can suggest some US schools, which I should go for and guide if the non US schools are within reach.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Prinkal Pahuja(Male, Indian, Age24yrs)
Gmat: 690(Q:48,v34)
Undergrad:B.E. Computer
Percentage: 62%(approx GPA would be 3.5 as it is difficult score in Pune univ)

Work Experience:2 years(Till nov 2009)
1.3 years at Wipro Technologies as a Software Developer
10 months in Managing my Family Business
Recent Designation: Business Analyst in Financial Markets (Family Business).

Certifications:
NCFM - Beginner's Module in Financial Markets
NCFM - Derivatives Module(Dealers Module)

Extra Curricular and Achievements
1. Awarded Meritorious Student award by Sahara Trust in 2003.
2. Merit Recognition Certificate by NIIT for scoring 96 percentile in National Aptitude Test in 2007.
3. Lots of other Extra Curricular Activities(Paper presentations, group discussion and sports)
4. Social Service - Teaching Students from Rural background(around 6 months).

Target Schools: University of Toronto(Rotman), U of Western Ontario(Richard Ivey), York University(Schulich), Mcgill University, Queens University. Univ of Notre Dame, Rochester(Simon).

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Regard,
Prinkal Pahuja

Originally posted by prinkalpahuja on 06 Dec 2009, 06:19.
Last edited by prinkalpahuja on 04 Jan 2010, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Thanks for the feedback!

GMAT: 620 (36Q/38V/4.5AWA)
GPA: Undergrad 3.08 (Michigan State University)
Degree. BA Finance
Experience: 6.5 years for an international Auto parts supplier (Sales / Marketing / Project Management.) Two years working in Japan, and experience managing others (team of 6-8)

Targeted schools (Sustainability / Environmental focus):
US: Michigan, Columbia, Georgetown, Duke
International: HEC Paris, IE, ESADE, SDA Bocconi

Am I shooting too high? I have some others that I'm more confident, but these are my dream options.
Send PM
Hi EJH13,

Shooting high is something I encourage :)

You have a very unique background, strong work experience (as well as international experience) and my only concern is your GMAT score. How many times have you taken the GMAT? This is not a deal breaker but it's something you're going to want to focus on overcoming in your application with strong essays.

How is your application coming along? Are you applying to R2? Feel free to email me at brett@ivyappsuccess.com to chat further.
Send PM
Or feel free to submit your profile information here:

https://ivyappsuccess.com/services/profeval
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Hunt,

You definitely want to select your business school on criteria other than simply your GMAT score. Why do you want an MBA and what are your career goals? If you answer this question, I would be better able to give you some schools that fit.

Thanks,
Hunt wrote:
Hi BrettN,

Age-28
Male, Indian

Score-620(Q-44,V-31) in second attempt, 550(Q-42,V-23) was in first attempt.
Work exp.- A total work experience of 4 years till date in banking and insurance industry. Currently working for 2 years with one of the top life insurance company as a senior sales manager in Third party distribution for two states. managing some 50 distributors and a team of 15 people. Prior to this was a financial consultant with a MNC bank in wealth management of the customers.
Education-Graduation in sciences, hons degree(3 yrs,first class, university topper), PG diploma in management(2yrs,second class).

Non US Schools in consideration-
1.HKUST
2.Nanyang
3.Manchester Business School
4.Warwick

US Schools in consideration-Please suggest.

Would be thankful if you can suggest some US schools, which I should go for and guide if the non US schools are within reach.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Prinkal,

Your main challenge will be to display the value of your work experience. Business schools aim to fill their classrooms with a variety of personalities and backgrounds. How has your 2 year work experience equipped you with uniqueness and leadership qualities that you will be able to share with your future classmates? Feel free to share some ideas you are considering for your application essays.

Best,
prinkalpahuja wrote:
Hi,

Prinkal Pahuja(Male, Indian, Age24yrs)
Gmat: 650(Q:48,v31)
Undergrad:B.E. Computer
Percentage: 62%(approx GPA would be 3.5 as it is difficult score in Pune univ)

Work Experience:2 years(Till nov 2009)
1.3 years at Wipro Technologies as a Software Developer
10 months in Managing my Family Business
Recent Designation: Business Analyst in Financial Markets (Family Business).

Certifications:
NCFM - Beginner's Module in Financial Markets
NCFM - Derivatives Module(Dealers Module)

Extra Curricular and Achievements
1. Awarded Meritorious Student award by Sahara Trust in 2003.
2. Merit Recognition Certificate by NIIT for scoring 96 percentile in National Aptitude Test in 2007.
3. Lots of other Extra Curricular Activities(Paper presentations, group discussion and sports)
4. Social Service - Teaching Students from Rural background(around 6 months).

Target Schools: University of Toronto(Rotman), U of Western Ontario(Richard Ivey), York University(Schulich), Mcgill University, Queens University. Univ of Notre Dame, Rochester(Simon).

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Regard,
Prinkal Pahuja
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4