Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 896 [44]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q50  V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [4]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: In the past the country of Siduria has relied heavily on [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. In Siduria the rate of fuel consumption is rising no more quickly than the rate of fuel production. - Some day in near future, the gap between consumption and production of fuel will be zero and the necessity of oil import will not be necessary for Siduria. - Correct
B. Domestic production of natural gas is rising faster than is domestic production of oil in Siduria. - If this is the case, it still wont be enough to explain the usage of oil in near future and how the country would cope with it - Incorrect
C. No fuel other than natural gas is expected to be used as a replacement for oil in Siduria. - Out of scope - Incorrect
D. Buildings cannot be heated by solar energy rather than by oil or natural gas. - Out of scope - Incorrect
E. All new homes that are being built will have natural-gas-burning heating systems. - If we only talk about new homes, what about the old home that still use oil for heating purposes. Does not give correct idea on the consumption pattern - Incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 76
Kudos
bsv180985 wrote:
In the past the country of Siduria has relied heavily on imported oil. Siduria recently implemented a program to convert heating systems from oil to natural gas. Siduria already produces more natural gas each year than it burns, and oil production in Sidurian oil fields is increasing at a steady pace. If these trends in fuel production and usage continue, therefore, Sidurian reliance on foreign sources for fuel should decline soon.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. In Siduria the rate of fuel consumption is rising no more quickly than the rate of fuel production.
B. Domestic production of natural gas is rising faster than is domestic production of oil in Siduria.
C. No fuel other than natural gas is expected to be used as a replacement for oil in Siduria.
D. Buildings cannot be heated by solar energy rather than by oil or natural gas.
E. All new homes that are being built will have natural-gas-burning heating systems.

Hey guys,

Can you help me understand why C is not correct?

To me, the statement seems to conclude that because demand of natural gas (which can be produced in Siduria) is increasing, export of oil (which is mainly from export) will decline.

Conclusion: Reliance on foreign sources for Siduria will decline
Premise: Siduria's demand in natural gas is increasing
Premise: Siduria makes a lot of natural gas

If, for example, the demand of alternative energy, such as bioenergy that might not be able to be produced in Siduria, significantly increases in Siduria, then Siduria will not lower its reliance of foreign source. To me, C is also a pretty solid assumption the author has. I totally agree A is also assumed, but author seems to assume C as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Hey guys,

Can you help me understand why C is not correct?

Hi Cssmarimo

I liked that you've clearly stated the conclusion & premises. You've also tried to apply negation which is an important tool for assumption question. However, I somehow feel that you should give this argument a second read. There are some points which you seem to have missed. I'm sure a re-read would surely help! :)

Quote:
To me, the statement seems to conclude that because demand of natural gas (which can be produced in Siduria) is increasing, export of oil (which is mainly from export) will decline

We know that the production of natural gas each year exceeds its demand. I couldn't understand how you've related demand of natural gas with export of oil. Could you please elaborate on this? The argument looks for an option that supports the conclusion that Siduria's reliance on foreign sources for fuel will decline, which means Siduria's import of fuel would decline.

Quote:
Conclusion: Reliance on foreign sources for Siduria will decline
Premise: Siduria's demand in natural gas is increasing
Premise: Siduria makes a lot of natural gas

You seem to have missed the conditional structure of the conclusion and that might have led to the fundamental gap in your understanding of this question.

Conclusion: Note the conclusion presents a condition. If X, then Y.
If these trends in fuel production and usage continue, therefore, Sidurian reliance on foreign sources for fuel should decline soon.

Premises:
1) Implementation of a program to convert heating systems from oil to natural gas.
2) Production of natural gas is more than its use each year
3) Oil production in Sidurian oil fields is increasing at a steady pace.

As the conclusion depends on the continuation of trends in fuel production and usage, first we need to understand these trends.

Natural gas: Production of natural gas > its use

As the requirement of natural gas is less than its production, the continuation of this trend is likely to reduce the reliance on foreign sources for natural gas.

As for oil, we know that oil production is increasing at a steady pace; however, unlike the requirement of natural gas, the requirement of oil is not known to us.

If the rate of increase of requirement of oil exceeds or is same as the rate of increase of production of oil, it’s unlikely that Siduria's reliance on foreign sources for fuel will decline soon.

Thus the argument underlies the assumption that

The rate of increase of requirement of oil is lower than the rate of increase of production of oil.

Quote:
If, for example, the demand of alternative energy, such as bioenergy that might not be able to be produced in Siduria, significantly increases in Siduria, then Siduria will not lower its reliance of foreign source. To me, C is also a pretty solid assumption the author has. I totally agree A is also assumed, but author seems to assume C as well.

If we negate option C, we get:

At least one fuel other than natural gas is expected to be used as a replacement for oil in Siduria.

If I take your example, it means that bioenergy is expected to be used as a replacement of oil. This implies that requirement of oil may decline. Thus, the conclusion doesn't fall apart.

Note: we cannot add information about demand and production of bioenergy. We need to observe the impact of the option in its given form.

Hope this helps!
Dolly
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
egmat : Request your help on this.

I want to understand why B is not a correct option. Let me state my method of reasoning here :

If we negate the statement B, it states that :
Domestic production of natural gas is rising slower than its domestic production of oil.

Now, since the all heating systems will be converted from oil to natural gas, the demand will increase for natural gas and demand for oil will decrease. If the production of natural gas doesn't keep up with the demand, Siduria would need to import more oil. The excess production of oil will not help as its demand will reduce.

So, this definitely destroys the conclusion.

Can you help me understand the flaw of this reasoning?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
theincredible wrote:
egmat : Request your help on this.

I want to understand why B is not a correct option. Let me state my method of reasoning here :

If we negate the statement B, it states that :
Domestic production of natural gas is rising slower than its domestic production of oil.

Now, since the all heating systems will be converted from oil to natural gas, the demand will increase for natural gas and demand for oil will decrease. If the production of natural gas doesn't keep up with the demand, Siduria would need to import more oil. The excess production of oil will not help as its demand will reduce.

So, this definitely destroys the conclusion.

Can you help me understand the flaw of this reasoning?

Hi there,

B. Domestic production of natural gas is rising faster than is domestic production of oil in Siduria. Irrelevant as is already stated in the form of the premise,
Siduria already produces more natural gas each year than it burns, and oil production in Sidurian oil fields is increasing at a steady pace.

Hope it answers your query.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
In the past the country of Siduria has relied heavily on [#permalink]
A. In Siduria the rate of fuel consumption is rising no more quickly than the rate of fuel production. - If the rate of fuel consumption is greater than rate of fuel production, then the country would still have to depend on foreign sources of fuel since it cannot match the energy requirements using its own sources. In order to establish the conclusion, we need to assume (A). Hence, (A) is the right answer choice.
B. Domestic production of natural gas is rising faster than is domestic production of oil in Siduria. - irrelevant to the conclusion drawn.
C. No fuel other than natural gas is expected to be used as a replacement for oil in Siduria. - the conclusion is not focused on oil per se; rather, it is focused on reducing dependency on foreign energy sources.
D. Buildings cannot be heated by solar energy rather than by oil or natural gas.
- irrelevant to the conclusion drawn.
E. All new homes that are being built will have natural-gas-burning heating systems. - irrelevant to the conclusion drawn
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
GMATNinja daagh please explain how you would eliminate the rest of the options other than A?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos