Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul,

Great Score! You earned it. :beer

I am really happy for you. Your contributions to this forum has been phenomenal. You were always there to help out others. This attitude will help you in life.

Good luck on your applications. :-D

Shygo
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Paul

You guys rock! Anand, Paul and Kpadma all have the same score. how cool is that :) Thanks for being such a great help for others. I am sure you have inspired many others to do well.

I wish all of you stay with us for long. I am waiting to hear more from you.

:woohoo :woohoo congrats again!

Best Wishes
Praetorian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you

"Persistence gives confidence and continued right mental attitude followed by consistent action will bring success. When you have that knowing inside of you, fear has vanished and the obstruction to a life of all good removed."

Paul, Iam falling short of words and quotes to congratulate you on your victory of all times. It is so unfortunate that words are so weak that they cannot transport the feelings of joy which not only me, but also thousands of readers in gmatclub , have on your success. If there was one person in whole gmatclub community whom everybody wished success from their hearts, it was you paul. You helped and inspired all of us. You deserved every bit of success you got
Iam very happy for you..infact it was a surprise reading about your expereince as I thought you were taking GMAT in december.
Although Iam happy that I share exactly the same score with you, Iam little disappointed that your verbal fell short of 40. Your explanations for SC and CR helped people achieve 40+ scores..so you deserved atleast 40-42 score if not 51!!! Anyways, important thing is you have crossed 700 with 85%ile + in both sections.
All the best for everything friend...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
CONGRATS Paul... :beer

That's a good balanced score. I am very happy for you and wish you luck for the application process.

As someone on the forum said - You are the king of SC :wink:

Have fun buddy.

:woohoo
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you all for your warm words. GMATclub has been a tremendous gathering place for many of us, MBA aspirants. The incredible intellectual energy that can be channeled to this site is phenomenal. For all new members, I suggest you to try to get the most out of this community but also try to give back as much as you can: it is the spirit of this place and it is how this community has helped me and will help you in your own quest.

Many people have asked me how come I did not schedule the test after 3500+ posts and how can you "know that you're ready"? It is your own gutts feeling, it is by believing in yourself that you can tame the beast. It is after relentlessly pounding on your weak areas and facing them that you will perfect yourself. If you are weak in RC, as it is for many of us, practice it. Face your problem or else, it will catch up to you during the exam. RC, being many people's weakness, will make it hard to score 700+ without a good RC skillset. As for math, practice, practice and practice. Learn fundamentals. Go through the math archives and ask questions. Remember that the dumbest questions are the ones that are never asked. Join the math challenges and make the best use of them. Remember that there is no merit in scoring a perfect score in those challenges if you don't know how to explain the answers. The challenges are not about a competition about how to get the highest score but they are there to help you achieve a goal: To improve your math skills. Hence, for those of you who do not necessarily get high scores on those purposely difficult challenges, use them to your advantage. Go through every question and try to understand the explanations, the logic and fundamentals behind those questions. I scored from 66 percentile to 99 percentile on those challenges but got Q49(90%) on the actual test. I was not deterred by the lower scores because I analyzed those questions in great detail and tried to find ways to understand and apply that knowledge to further math questions. Do not worry if some problems of this forum are ridiculously hard, it can happen. But remember that harder problems will force you to go beyond your own limit and not just to give up when facing "oddball" questions on the exam.

One year back, I doubted that I could ever achieve those top school averages and ever get in to say INSEAD or any other top schools. I desperately was in the search of a forum with people having the same goals as me, the same aspirations as me and I found this place through a yahoo search. I have been blessed. I found this site quite daunting at first as I saw so many posters with phenomenal quant skills and was even intimidated (especially by Akhamai but who is not intimidated by him :wink: ) to a certain extent. Nonetheless, I learned how this site worked and how one can get the best out of a community such as this one. I grew to be more comfortable and became almost addicted to this community :) : Gmatclub is a wealth of resource and has so much to offer, remember that.

Finally, unlike many of you, I will not be applying before the next few years and I am doing my GMAT now just to get it out of the way. There are just so many things to say but I'm afraid to be just rambling on for too much here. I will now talk about my test experience.

AWA
I don't think I did too well this time on AWA. Perhaps 4.5 or so. I just had nothing to say on the issue analysis but I'm sure I rocked the argument part. Make sure that you take the breaks after this as it will give you the final breath before the "real" thing starts. I wasn't happy with how the issue part unfolded but never looked back or even had any thought about that in the following sections. I would recommend you to stick to a combination of PR/OG templates as it works with just any situation. Last time I stuck with those I got 5.5. I think that as long as you got 4+ and a good GMAT score, AWA should not be a major concern. Don't sweat it.

Quant
It started with first 2 questions relatively smooth. Third question was an "easy" probability question with like given x persons, in how many ways can you form a committe. I can't be more precise here because of copyright issues. However, provided that you practiced those kind of questions, and there are many of this type in this forum, you should be fine with those probability questions. The questions really got tougher and I think I got my toughest question at # 22 or so. It must have been one of those word questions. I must have guessed on 2-3 questions whereby I told myself that it was not worth spending 5 minutes on a question and perhaps get it wrong anyways. Time management is crucial and DO guess on tough questions that you cannot do within 3-4 minutes. If you practiced on enough math problems and have done challenges in this forum, along with Kaplan800 math workout, you should be fine. I finished this section with just enough time. Take the break.

Verbal
It started with a short but very difficult SC. I really hesitated b/w 2 choices and spent 3 or 3.5 minutes on that SC alone! I almost lost my composure telling myself what would happen to my score if I missed the first one outright! I'm not even sure I got it right in the end but had to move on. Perhaps that's why I got a lower verbal score... I think I then got 2 RC back to back around the 5th questions. I think the ETS has found a way to really make you freak out in the test by putting them back to back. Hence, since RC appear relatively early, you better get them right otherwise your verbal score will suffer. Those 2 RCs were about social science and each about 30-35 lines. They were relatively easy to understand but again, provided that you practiced it. Many SC and CR following. I found all the other SC fairly easy and I got 1 BF CR at around question 37 or so. There were 2 more RC passages. One was about a business passage, about 45 lines long, and the last one really threw me off. It was a science passage of 60 lines but a really tough one. I had to guess some of the answer choices which made the most sense to me. I finished verbal section with 1 minute spare. Clicked on the questions at the end and my hands have never been that moist from nervousness on a mouse. Such was my relief to see 710! I almost cried of joy.

In the last 2 months prior to my GMAT, I went through the whole OG SC, CR, and RC. Analyzed EVERY question and learned the fundas behind them. See what each question is testing and DO NOT move on until you fully understood the given questions. I also did the whole of Kaplan800. As many of you might have noticed, I felt like I practiced way too much verbal and in the last 2 weeks, I joined every challenge and worked on the toughest DS from the OG. Do not worry if you fail 8-9 in a row in the last 60 DS questions in OG as they are purposely tough, even tougher than the ones I encountered on the exam. However, do try to understand what is being tested and how you can avoid stumbling on the same question types in the future.

The first time I took the GMAT, I got 620 and did not even know you could not bring a calculator until the day prior to the exam :oops: I was really underprepared and got hammered by the exam. I was happy to have been above 620 though but was always curious in knowing whether it was possible for me to reach those 7XX averages posted by top Bschools. In hindsight, I would say YES. Just believe in yourself and put in the commensurate effort and you will get what you want. Nothing is impossible in life!

So many words, I think I will stop here :lol: I will definitely stick around and try to help out other members. I will even answer some questions from the math/verbal forum but this time, without having the pressure of the exam looming in the horizon :P . I owe so much to this site and its members and this is just my small contribution to this great place. Kudos.

Originally posted by Paul on 13 Nov 2004, 22:55.
Last edited by Paul on 13 Nov 2004, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul,

Good to know that you got what you deserved. You were a great help to me personally and ofcourse to all of us here. Please keep visiting and helpping us. I remember staring participatiing with all crazy answers and explainations. But with lots of participation and reading your explainations I think I am improving. Thanks again for your help and all the best for the applications.

What is PT series by the way?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Bhai, I wish you all the best also. I do see an improvement in your verbal explanations. Keep it up. PT=ETS Paper Tests. I definitely recommend them as they are of good quality and very similar to the difficulty level you will encounter on the exam. You will get some OG duplicates but some others are not from OG. The math part is easier than the real exam but under timed condition, it should be difficult enough. I think math from this forum is the best practice you can ever get.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations Paul! :flower

I hope you'll enjoy your upcoming days in Fontainebleau.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul, you did it!
I was crossing my fingers for you :)

I'm touched and inspired. You really earned it, and it's nice to see so many people happy for you.
This forum is really special in that sense i think.
I hope you'll stick around!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul congrats! You have been and are an inspiration to everyone especially myself. Hope u stick around and continue the good work!

Once again CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Now go PARTEE!!! :drinking
:woohoo
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Send PM
Congratulations Paul [#permalink]
I'm new to this forum.Having gone through the experiences of the various GMAT takers,I have to really appreciate the help and advice given by every one.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats Paul !

I know this is not something original but I sincerely think you deserve your score. I am not a member of this club for years but I witnessed during these past 3 months all your efforts to help and contribute as well as to keep learning. You are an example for all of us and I hope you will save a little part of your time to help us about run on sentences or parenthetical phrases :wink: as you always did...

One more time congratulations for your quest results.

F.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ain't I happy for you brother...guess you can't see my smiling face.
Congratualtions buddy...I wont say you deserved the score cos that wud be criminal.You certainly deserved more than 710 but then such are the vagaries of life. Having spent so much time together..I somehow relate to you, Praet,Anand and Kpadma as you all r embedded in my sub-concious mind.Praet forgot to add one thing that even he has got 710 in his 1st attempt(if my memory serves me right).With all of you on the same score...it gives me a pleasant feeling that even I have got the same score.Extremely happy for you and wish you all the best on your future endeavors.Stick around...as GC needs stalwarts like you.

Love,
Vivek.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul, you're the man....

I just came back today from my GMAT retirement :P
Ready to study again because my quest is unfinished yet, then I had the pleasure to see that you got this great score. Congrats to you, you totally deserve it.
:)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Vivek

Thanks you for your kind words. Its my pleasure to be of help. and you are right , even i have a 710 :)

Best Wishes
Praetorian

vivek_dj wrote:
Ain't I happy for you brother...guess you can't see my smiling face. Congratualtions buddy...I wont say you deserved the score cos that wud be criminal.You certainly deserved more than 710 but then such are the vagaries of life. Having spent so much time together..I somehow relate to you, Praet,Anand and Kpadma as you all r embedded in my sub-concious mind.Praet forgot to add one thing that even he has got 710 in his 1st attempt(if my memory serves me right).With all of you on the same score...it gives me a pleasant feeling that even I have got the same score.Extremely happy for you and wish you all the best on your future endeavors.Stick around...as GC needs stalwarts like you.

Love,
Vivek.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Paul,
Great score man. I owe the understanding of verbal questions to your posts.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Paul!!

CONGRATULATIONS on a great great score! :-D Im a relatively new member at GMATclub. But I have seen the way you help out the members here and take part in almost all the discussions, and should I say that this score is really well deserved. :-D The way you approach every sum really helps every one of us to boost our confidence.

Regards,

Pragati.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts