Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: PE/VC
Schools:Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)
 Q44  V44
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Tuck Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
In for R2
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Tuck Class of 2012
Send PM
Could someone confirm that the below is in fact the rec format? Cheers.

ACNguy wrote:
eminent wrote:
Does anyone have the recommender questions?

Thank you in advance.

Pulled this off of a random site called essaylabb, not sure how reputable it is but it looks pretty standard:

We require two recommendations which address the questions asked on our Recommendation Form. Additional recommendations may be submitted, but they should offer additional and valuable insight. Generally, work-related recommendations are more valuable than academic-related recommendations.

It is important both to applicants and to us that we know as much as possible about their aptitude and capacity for graduate business study.

1. How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity?

2. What unique qualities does the applicant possess that lead you to endorse his/her application to the Darden School? Cite specific examples in support of this evaluation.

3. Please comment on this applicant's experience and/or potential to mentor or manage others.

4. In what areas does the applicant need the most improvement?
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Hey everyone, just got to Darden and this snowstorm HAMMERED the place. If anyone else is planning on coming in today/tomorrow be safe on the roads. The state of Virginia apparently is lacking in the equipment necessary to plow the roads 24 hours after a snowstorm!
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Hey guys, sitting the the Charlottesville airport right now (they have FREE wifi, none of that Boingo crap, another plus of Darden!) and just got done with my interview, tour, lunch, etc. Great time overall. We had a bit of a skeleton crew in that they said many people from the admissions office wouldn't be able to make it in due to the weather (they even tried to get some of us to reschedule) but that just added to the already extremely relaxed atmosphere. Overall I'm going to just gush about the school and the people, so if you don't want to hear it feel free to turn away.
- The first year students we got to talk with were extremely relaxed and laid back. All seemed to be exceptionally smart and had great futures but didn't seem to take themselves too seriously which is a nice change of pace.

- The facilities are gorgeous. I felt like I was at a southern plantation. I'm sure its even better without 20'' of snow on the ground.

- The interview was with a 2Y student, some had it with an ADCOM member,although they gave the impression that it was random. My interviewer was a terrific guy that was in the MC industry so he gave me great insight into the school and the MC career path that is afforded to Darden students.

- The other people that were there for interviews all seemed like good people. They had a great turnout, which was a shock considering the weather. I'd guess there were about 20 other people there interviewing.

- The interview was just as everyone else has explained it. "Tell me about yourself." I talked for about 30 minutes and he interjected a few times to clarify or have me delve deeper. I transitioned the "Tell me about yourself" up to today's date and what I wanted to do in the future and then went straight into the "Why MBA, why now." After the 30 minutes or so he just said we have a few minutes left and asked if I had any questions. Asked him about why he chose it and career prospects and it was very back and forth. He reiterated what I had initially thought after several receptions, that the Darden students are different and that its the people that really made the school in his eyes.

-Virginia does NOT know how to deal with snow. Only negative I can think of on the trip. Can't really hang that one on Darden.

Anyway, I hope it went well. It seemed as though the interview was good, conversational and we even were joking around with each other a little bit so hopefully he enjoyed it too. Can't wait for January 28th. Have officially decided, that despite what happens with my R2 schools, that if I get an acceptance on that date I'm accepting it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Thanks ACNguy! Great debrief, I am even more excited about applying in R2 now!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
anyone from Latam area got any offsite interview calls yet?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: GM / Strategy
Schools:Yale SOM '12
Send PM
ACNguy, great job of describing what goes down at a Darden interview. My experience was nearly identical, except I interviewed with a member of admissions committee (she was cool and it was the most relaxed interview I've had yet - very similar to the one at Yale). And Darden has the cutest girls of any of the business schools I've visited so far. :good Could be a southern thing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
adude wrote:
ACNguy, great job of describing what goes down at a Darden interview. My experience was nearly identical, except I interviewed with a member of admissions committee (she was cool and it was the most relaxed interview I've had yet - very similar to the one at Yale). And Darden has the cutest girls of any of the business schools I've visited so far. :good Could be a southern thing.

I haven't been, but the girls part is what different alums have told me on multiple occasions...I can't wait to see for myself!
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
charming to know how my future classmates will be be perceiving me and my abilities....
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
smadge, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your abilities will definitely be respected, by me especially. I'm not allowed to be looking at the coeds, my girlfriend will kill me.

But yes, Virginia does have a good looking student body. The southern girls, and their accents, make me melt. HAHA.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V40
Send PM
smadge37 wrote:
charming to know how my future classmates will be be perceiving me and my abilities....

LOL :-)
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
I don't want to get on my soapbox - but I wasn't trying to be funny. Compared to its peer-group Darden has a huge women's recruiting issue (partly I think because of perceptions like those on this forum), which as man, you may not think is your problem, but it actually is.

Many banks/consulting firms are looking to recruit women (which I don't think is necessairly right - I want to be recruited for my abilities, not my gender) - if they don't think they can find qualified women at a business school, they're going to look elsewhere - and then everyone, including men, lose out on that career opportunity.

Also, on a less serious note, I would manage expectations, guys. I was probably the cutest girl there yesterday and that's definetly not saying much....
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
smadge37 wrote:
I don't want to get on my soapbox - but I wasn't trying to be funny. Compared to its peer-group Darden has a huge women's recruiting issue (partly I think because of perceptions like those on this forum), which as man, you may not think is your problem, but it actually is.

Many banks/consulting firms are looking to recruit women (which I don't think is necessairly right - I want to be recruited for my abilities, not my gender) - if they don't think they can find qualified women at a business school, they're going to look elsewhere - and then everyone, including men, lose out on that career opportunity.

Also, on a less serious note, I would manage expectations, guys. I was probably the cutest girl there yesterday and that's definetly not saying much....

Haha, smadge, relax we are all 100% kidding. Not actually trying to get into anything with anyone. Harmless banter, that's all it is.

Overall, what'd you think of it yesterday?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: GM / Strategy
Schools:Yale SOM '12
Send PM
Sorry - I didn't think Darden had any women's recruiting issues. Anyone on my learning team will be pulling their own weight regardless of what they look like.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V40
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
Haha, smadge, relax we are all 100% kidding. Not actually trying to get into anything with anyone. Harmless banter, that's all it is.
Overall, what'd you think of it yesterday?

My sentiments exactly ;-)! 100K's is a huge investment to me, and no way I would let "peer-hotness" into my school choice decission and I would put absouletely 0 value on looks in my study group...

I would like to hear about you experience as well, if you feel like sharing!
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
I'm not trying to start anything - the "harmless banter" though does leave an impression though on how I'll be perceived a woman in school (which isn't unique to Darden - I was pointblank asked in one interview if I was just looking for my "M.R.S. degree," which as a woman at a top private equity firm, I found a highly offensive suggestion) and on the priorities of my classmates. That being said, I certainly have mentally rated every business school I've visited by the attractiveness of the student body as well - I would just never say it on a forum because I'd be scared of being judged as "just looking for a husband", which luckily, you guys don't have to worry about. (Aside, the men are attractive at Darden too). And that's all I have to say on the topic - wasn't trying to be inflamatory at all, just trying to remind everyone that they are women on the thread too. :-D

I really, really loved Darden and my interview was probably the best I've had thus far. ACNguy, I agree with you that I think it was definetly to our advantage that we traveled through the snow - not just because it showed our dedication. Yesterday was uniquely intimate - Sara Neher sat at my table at lunch, for example - and I felt like we had better access to the students in the admin office. My tour was with two current students and probably four prospectives(?) so we could each ask whatever questions we wanted. There was a really great first year just hanging out in the office who didn't even work for admissions just answering questions and helping prospective students. Overall, I was just highly, highly impressed by the dedication to the M.B.A. program as an "education," and not just a stepping stone (something you don't find at H/W/S). And, I know this is so trivial, but it makes a huge difference - they were SUPER organized.
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Then we shall modify the rules of this thread. No more talking about the attractiveness of either sex to ensure everyone that pays attention to it feels respected. Glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Darden smadge.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  64