Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: 760 Q49 V44 - My GMAT experience [#permalink]
GTChE,

Congrats mate.
710 in your last test exam after 12+... are you a football player :) :)
well done.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
congrats great score..any tips for RC ?

First things first, if you struggle with RC, then you need to allot more time for the RC questions. This means that you need to spend less time on either the SC or the CR. That's the stark reality of the situation.

How you approach RC depends fundamentally on what kind of a reader you are. I read extremely quickly, so I could reread parts of the passage while answering the questions without having to worry about time. If you read slowly, this may not be possible. Slow readers are at a slight disadvantage because they need to have a complete grasp of the passage by the time they are done reading it - they may not have time to go back and reread large sections of the passage.

That said, there are a number of universal tips that I would offer:

1. Have a plan and stick to it. The practice tests are the time to try out new strategies to approach RC passages, but when you get to the test, you need have a plan on how you will approach the passages and you need to use it. There are a lot of approaches that work, so what you pick depends on you.

2. Be interested in the topics. The GMAT folks know that you don't care about the lifecycle of moths in North America or the role of women in 17th century literature. Because they don't care about the topics, many test takers just "zone out" and read the passage, but don't pay attention to it. This wastes precious time.

I recommend trying to pump yourself up about the RC passages. After all, the RC is the only section of the GMAT where you actually learn something while taking the test. If you can force yourself to be interested in the passages and see RC as a chance to learn something new, then your comprehension will jump considerably.

3. Know the RC question types. The GMAT asks the same questions repeatedly and the chances are high that you are likely fine with all but one or two of them (which is where all your mistakes come from). Find that one or two and develop your approach to address them.

Among the classes of questions the RC asks you for are:

-Big idea questions like: what is the purpose of this passage? What is the author's tone here? These were my personal weakness, so after reading every passage I wrote a one sentence summary of the author's main point and the tone of the passage (argumentative, dispassionate, etc).

-Argument extension questions. The author would likely agree with which of the following points? Which of the following examples would illustrate the authors point? These questions are like the CR questions in that they force you to think from the authors point of view.

-Context questions. XXX in the passage says that? Who does the author likely mean when they say YYY? Often these questions have highlighted text. These are "did you read the passage" questions that require an understanding of how the author made their point. These are often the hardest type for passage skimmers.

Figure out what kind of questions you get wrong and fit your approach to suit them.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts