Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink]
Kudos
non profit guy by day.
video producer by night.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
International development at a major foundation.
Previously: socially responsible investing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Retail, Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Send PM
Not sure if this falls under the non-trad. category.

International retail buyer in Asia (from Canada)
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
To echo Ntang's questions from last year: do people view their non-trad backgrounds as an asset or a liability? Schools are paying a lot of lip service to people like us, but I wonder if they aren't just doing what they always do: highlighting outliers in order to seem different / better than their competitors.

I'm thinking it goes like this: if you take a banker and a non-trad side-by-side and otherwise their stats are very, very similar -- that's where the non-trad gets the edge. But I doubt coming from an atypical background automatically qualifies you as an URM or a "wow" or whatever.

Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Aenigma, some thoughts:
I've had the opportunity to work with individuals from IB/MC (top 3). These same remarkable people were actually more "impressed" by my work experience/accomplishments, something I truly came to appreciate. While these folks may have the title/brand name employer, they don't necessarily have REAL impactful positions...

I think when adcom members go over applications, they seek diversity in the classroom. In fact, my visit to HBS confirmed this. While I did see your typical McKinsey/GS student, I met a lot from "no-name" companies (Pharma, Family Business, etc.). Ironically enough, one guy had a very similar background to me (Westerner who worked extensively in China, spoke Mandarin...)

Just my opinion... :)
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
That's a helpful insight, triple5soul, thanks.

I too I have had experiences where friends or acquaintances in more traditional lines of work have been like, "Oh, you work at [Foundation]? COOL! I would love to do that!" But of course even in interesting jobs it's rare to feel really gung-ho about the unglamorous day-to-day tasks, so I'm usually thinking that what THEY do seems much more impressive. (Probably 'cause they ballin'.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Send PM
I definitely share some of the same thoughts. I do admit that I often worry that adcom will automatically discard an application on such premises. It speaks immensely of a school's culture when it is open to interview/admit non-traditional applicants. I know S is extremely open to individuals who are diverse in background and have led meaningful life experiences (hence "What matters to you most"), whereas typical applications are solely about goals/accomplishments.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Ah, Stanford. If only there were more seats in that class...

Your comment reminds me, actually, that my recommenders (all non-trad) have totally hated on the business school admission process. They think most of the applications, as you note, focus too much on goals and accomplishments -- especially quantifiable accomplishments concerning money and management, which are almost impossible to ascertain in the work I do -- and not enough on potential and richness of experience. In this respect, they think law school recommendations are much more representative of a person's potential contribution to the field (not to mention they're much less onerous). This is, of course, debatable, but I think they make an interesting point.

I wonder how thoughtful AdComs are about perspectives like this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I may be completely off here, but I would hypothesize that most non-traditional applicants don't need an MBA in the same way than traditional applicants do. For example, your typical IB/MC requires the degree to move up the ranks (if he/she so chose to stay in the same industry) whereas many non-traditional applicants either require it for career swtiching (just an example). This is highly debatable - however, in industries such as retail, CPG, etc. the MBA won't make much of a difference (as opposed to experience).

Ultimately, the MBA won't guarantee anything (for a traditional or non-traditional applicant). I honestly believe that most of the applicants on this board would do just fine without the degree...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Product Management
Schools:Carroll School of Management, Fuqua
 Q39  V47
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
I kind of worry about how my "non-tradional" background will affect me, because i don't come from the usual industries but also don't do anything that exotic. I work in property management and lease luxury apartments. I would like to make a move into brand management and even though I have 5 years experience in real estate, 3 years working for myself and another 2 working for a national re development and management company, i don't see a future in real estate for me.

Tghis is very much a high pressured sales position -- I make as much in commissions as I do in salary, and i'm good at what I do. I work with a really diverse and very international group of clients.

I also work in the fitness industry on the side, teaching group exercise.

I guess i'll find out soon enough...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2