Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
Re: Interesting Adcom Feedback [#permalink]
Hm. Interesting.

I can imagine myself slipping and saying a word like "crap" in the context of an interview with someone I perceive as being my age. Probably nothing worse than that -- although that of course is not cool in an interview. I wonder what happened at Ross that the Director of Admissions felt the need to comment.

On the flip side, I have had a job interviewer ask me out on a date. It was awkward.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Aenigma wrote:
On the flip side, I have had a job interviewer ask me out on a date. It was awkward.

Whoa....u r serious? That says a lot about your looks :wink:

What was your response?

Cheers,
Unplugged
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Kudos
unplugged wrote:
Whoa....u r serious? That says a lot about your looks :wink:

What was your response?

Haha - thanks. Probably says more about him than me, though. :-D

I believe I stammered something about how flattering and generous his offer was, but that I was in a relationship. When I told my boyfriend about it, he was like: "You should have gone! I could never afford to take you to that restaurant!"

I didn't get the job.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: PE/VC
Schools:Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)
 Q44  V44
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hmm... I actually feel like there's the risk of the opposite happening as well with a student interviewer. I've had two of my interviews with adcom and two with second-year students. One of my student interviewers was completely professional and we had a great conversation; the other wasn't...

It wasn't a terrible interview, but I def felt like he was trying to impress me by how cool he was while he was interviewing me. He asked a question about what I would do with my career after I made "a crapload of money in private equity" and he said something rather sexist (I'm a woman). I think he was probably a genuinely nice guy, but I felt like he didn't take the interview seriously and it colored my whole experience with that school. Maybe I should have felt good that he felt comfortable enough to treat me casually, as a peer, but it definetly made me want to have the rest of my interviews with adcom members...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Sometimes applicants may put his/her guard down during the interview because current students try to do his/her best to make the applicant more comfortable during the interview. That doesn't mean the applicant should turn the interview from formal setting to an informal setting, and behave as if you are speaking with a long time friend...

I remember Raabend said last year at YSOM interview, the current student started out the interview by saying, "This is gonna be the easiest interview that you have ever had..."

The interviewer was just being nice, but I will bet some applicants might relax after that phrase and drop his/her guards.... :-D
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
I was actually wondering if any devious 2nd year students actually act casual on purpose to see what will happen when the applicant lets his/her guard down.

Guess we have to just assume that doesn't happen. So far 2nd years have seemed very pleasant (I haven't interviewed with any yet, though).

Me, I like to play "bad cop" during interviews -- mostly because it's not my natural persona at all.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
I read this on Soojin Kwon Koh's blog today - she's the director of admissions at Ross. I found it very enthralling and I wonder what people have said/done. I keep thinking back on whether I said something stupid - I keep getting that "is she talking about me" feeling.

I wanted to pass on a bit of advice to Round 2 (and 3) applicants based on some experiences during Round 1. It seems that some applicants view interviews with an MBA2 who is part of the Admissions Student Committee as less "serious" than an interview with an alumnus or staff member. Some applicants were a bit unprofessional, shall we say, probably thinking that an MBA2 is on the level of a peer/buddy rather than a bona fide admissions interviewer. Don't let that be you.

I'm probably in this catagory last year for Ross
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
highhopes wrote:
I read this on Soojin Kwon Koh's blog today - she's the director of admissions at Ross. I found it very enthralling and I wonder what people have said/done. I keep thinking back on whether I said something stupid - I keep getting that "is she talking about me" feeling.

I wanted to pass on a bit of advice to Round 2 (and 3) applicants based on some experiences during Round 1. It seems that some applicants view interviews with an MBA2 who is part of the Admissions Student Committee as less "serious" than an interview with an alumnus or staff member. Some applicants were a bit unprofessional, shall we say, probably thinking that an MBA2 is on the level of a peer/buddy rather than a bona fide admissions interviewer. Don't let that be you.

Oooh. Story?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:HBS/KSG Class of 2014 (deferring)
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Aenigma wrote:
Hm. Interesting.

I can imagine myself slipping and saying a word like "crap" in the context of an interview with someone I perceive as being my age. Probably nothing worse than that -- although that of course is not cool in an interview. I wonder what happened at Ross that the Director of Admissions felt the need to comment.

Wow, that is ridiculously unprofessional. Probably best you didn't get the job.

I have my first interview in a few weeks for MIT LGO. I have a background where I really shouldn't be nervous, however I must admit I'm a bit worried due to lack interview experience. For undergrad I actually had to interview with a congressman, but since I had already gotten in to the school we pretty much just bullshited (in a MOST formal manner of course) and the few questions he asked were softballs. As for job interviews, had one within my profession but that was a total check the block thing as well, I didn't even think of it as an interview. Need to start practicing I guess...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Aenigma wrote:
I was actually wondering if any devious 2nd year students actually act casual on purpose to see what will happen when the applicant lets his/her guard down.

Guess we have to just assume that doesn't happen. So far 2nd years have seemed very pleasant (I haven't interviewed with any yet, though).

Me, I like to play "bad cop" during interviews -- mostly because it's not my natural persona at all.

Ha! That probably is a bit my style. Though I would probably relax them then throw loads of curveballs for s&g, but also to see how they cope. That is more a work setting though - it is hard to throw curveballs in an interview for an MBA I would think, save for making someone prove they are an arse.

HERM3S wrote:
ridiculously unprofessional. Probably best you didn't get the job.

She obviously wasn't going to get the job anyway, hence the interviewer decided to try his luck*.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Aenigma wrote:

Ha! That probably is a bit my style. Though I would probably relax them then throw loads of curveballs for s&g, but also to see how they cope. That is more a work setting though - it is hard to throw curveballs in an interview for an MBA I would think, save for making someone prove they are an arse.

Noted! If I get an interview invite I'll be ready for ya. Will you be ready for me? (Hint: I am an arse!)

3underscore wrote:
HERM3S wrote:
ridiculously unprofessional. Probably best you didn't get the job.

She obviously wasn't going to get the job anyway, hence the interviewer decided to try his luck*.

It's possible! -- but he was one of four people to interview me that day, in quick succession, so he wouldn't have been able to make that decision unilaterally.

I think one of the problems with making a pass at a job / school candidate is that acquiescence could be construed as a condition for acceptance. So maybe I shouldn't have gotten that job. Or maybe I didn't get it because I didn't go out with him. (Or maybe they'd already figured out that I didn't want to (a) commute three hours from Brooklyn; or ::shudder:: (b) move to Jersey.)

I like your take, though.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Aenigma wrote:
GoBruins wrote:
highhopes wrote:

Oooh. Story?

Well probably that I am not strong at interviewing anyways. But tons of awkward moments....

for one, everyone told me that MBA2 are big football fans and do this whole tailgating together and how ann arbor shuts down on saturdays.... then I get a person who is like french born, german schools, came from mexico to ross that doesn't like football... apparently a rugby fan... (that conversation just died)

then talked about recruitment numbers (she did not get an offer and it was in feb) - conversation end really quickly there.

Talked about how I was interested in Tauber, didn't fit what I wanted to do... (she tells me she's a tauber student)... conversation ended there.

But I think I tried really hard to find that common ground aiming for being that student that they can see as classmates, rather than a more formal job interview.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Sounds like you did what you could! -- just bad luck with who you got.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:HBS/KSG Class of 2014 (deferring)
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Aenigma wrote:

I think one of the problems with making a pass at a job / school candidate is that acquiescence could be construed as a condition for acceptance. So maybe I shouldn't have gotten that job. Or maybe I didn't get it because I didn't go out with him. (Or maybe they'd already figured out that I didn't want to (a) commute three hours from Brooklyn; or ::shudder:: (b) move to Jersey.)

I like your take, though.

Yet another great reason to be happy - you're not working in Jersey! Especially when you are from the greatest borough of them all!
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
HERM3S wrote:
Yet another great reason to be happy - you're not working in Jersey! Especially when you are from the greatest borough of them all!

Abso-freakin-lutely! BK!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: PE/VC
Schools:Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)
 Q44  V44
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
as a fellow Brooklynite, I also echo that sentiment!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Ross R2, Duke R2
 Q48  V44
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
for one, everyone told me that MBA2 are big football fans and do this whole tailgating together and how ann arbor shuts down on saturdays.... then I get a person who is like french born, german schools, came from mexico to ross that doesn't like football... apparently a rugby fan... (that conversation just died)

then talked about recruitment numbers (she did not get an offer and it was in feb) - conversation end really quickly there.

Ouch! That sounds like real bad luck man. Although I've had the sports thing happen with another alum I was speaking with, not an interview or anything. I've decided to not bring up sports at all, unless the interviewer brings it up first. :idea:
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2