Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MBA
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: How to manage AWA????????? [#permalink]
nehguup wrote:
Hi All,

I have my real GMAT exam in 15days. and till now I haven't touched AWA section. English is not my first language and even I am not good in writing essays and all. Please help me .. how should I proceed for AWA. how to start preparing for AWA.. what is neccessary..??

Please let me know, I am really worried .. :(

I feel you.. I started my AWA only today and left to go with 12 days.. I dont know how am going to cope this but you just have to step in..

I started off reading Kaplan's AWA tips and some from this forum..
This thread is helpful -----How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide

I dont know if this is the best but I decided to to practice at least one essay a day and have my friend to check.. I wrote my first essay today and I catched what I need to brush on...

Good luck to you!!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: USGBC
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Read atleast couple essays from this link:
awa-compilations-223-essays-86274.html

I scored 6 in AWA:D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
i will give it a try...thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GRE 1: Q46 V37
GPA: 3.14
WE:Architecture (Other)
Send PM
First, from what MGMAT says, schools don't place the premium on the AWA score as they do the standard parts of GMAT. In fact, they said schools look at any score that is a 4.5 or higher as "good enough." They also said something along the lines of schools aren't really sure how to weight this section (is it really an indicator of apptitude) of the GMAT, hence why they don't place a premium on it.

That being said, it shouldn't be that tough to at least get a 5.0/6.0. I like yourself, never really studied for the AWA part of the exam (I took the GMAT 3 times, and got scores of 5.5, 5.0, and 5.5, respectively), but here are two things below which I would remember. The two things essentially give you a structure to lay out your argument. Anyone, please feel free to chime in on anything I've written; we all have our opinions.

1 - The Analysis of the argument: First, state that the argument does have some merits, though "the argument is based on several assumptions and/or lacks information/support to support them." Then cite a couple of points - one short paragraph for each.

"For example, if the author would give us more information or state x about his assumption, then it would help support the underlying argument, y ." Perhaps include why this is important/relevant, or what the implications are of not stating this.

2 - The Analysis of an issue: First, make sure to state something similar to, "The issue stated above is very complex, however, I believe x is correct approach for several reasons." Then proceed to use a short paragraph for each of your points.

One of the "Issue" prompts I received was something like.

a) Schools should teach practical skills in classes.
b) Schools should teach all sorts of subject matter.

Ultimately, there is no "right" or "wrong" answer for this question. That being said, you should feel free to use personal examples in your life to support your argument as why you believe one side.

Hope this helped.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts