Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Weakenx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2220 [100]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [18]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [5]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 480 Q48 V14
Send PM
Re: In the United States, the Postal Service has a monopoly on first-class [#permalink]
Kudos
I still don't get wht question is asking and what we need to weak....

Please help... ?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [5]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
Re: In the United States, the Postal Service has a monopoly on first-class [#permalink]
Kudos
rakeshtewatia0105 wrote:
I still don't get wht question is asking and what we need to weak....

Please help... ?

Let me share with you how I viewed the question.

Premise: Postal service has monopoly in first class email + First class mail can be sent electronically + Postal Service is making profit from its first class mail
Conclusion: Profit from monopoly can create unfair advantage to Postal Service if it were to enter electronic transfer business

So what we have to weaken is "Profit from monopoly in first class mail will give advantage to Postal Service"

(A) Says outright that if Postal Service enter electronic transfer, it will no longer make profit on first-class biz -> thus, no fund to grant its unfair advantage
(B) Strengthen the conclusion that Postal Service will still have monopoly over electronic transfer -> giving it profit to keep its unfair advantage
(C) Introduce new method of sending but does not address electronic transfer
(D) Says no matter how large you are in electronic transfer, you will not have competitive edge -> this might actually strengthen the conclusion that if Postal Service come in with additional profit to fuel the electronic business -> It will have competitive edge over other players
(E) Says electronic is only good for first class mail -> but gives nothing about whether profit can create unfair comp.

:blushing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
Sid0403 wrote:
First of all, "Allay" Means to diminish or to put to rest.So this is basically a weaken question.

Option A states that

(A) If the Postal Service were to offer electronic transmission, it could not make a profit on first -class mail.

So if the postal service is not able to make a profit, then it cannot subsidize the electronic transmission.

So in this case the fears of the electronic transmittal operators' fears of unfair competition are put to rest.

Hope this helps.

How often does GMAT use these kinds of language? I could not understand what Allay means; hence i picked A as if the stem is asking to strengthen the operator's concern.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [0]
Given Kudos: 300
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma GMATGuruNY mikemcgarry
Can you please explain this question ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
sayan640 wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma GMATGuruNY mikemcgarry
Can you please explain this question ?

Hi Sayan

Let me try to address your query.

Pre-thinking:

The US Postal Service (USPS) has a monopoly on first class mail, most of which could also be transmitted electronically. Electronic transmittal operators fear that if USPS also offers electronic transmission, this service could be subsidized by the profits from first class mail (over which it has a monopoly).

We are required to allay (reduce) the fears of the electronic operators of USPS subsidizing its electronic transmission service by profits from monopoly first class mail business. Hence, we are looking for some answer option that does not permit this subsidization.

Let us look at the answer options:

(A) If the Postal Service were to offer electronic transmission, it could not make a profit on first -class mail. Correct answer. This fits in perfectly with what we are looking for in our pre-thinking. If there are no profits on first class mail (either by scale economies or by regulation), then it cannot be used to subsidize the electronic transmission business.

(B) If the Postal Service were to offer electronic transmission, it would have a monopoly on that kind of service. This does not prevent subsidization of electronic transmission business by profits of first class mail. Eliminate.

(C) Much of the material that is now sent by first class mail could be delivered much faster by special package couriers, but is not sent that way because of cost. This does not prevent subsidization of electronic transmission business by profits of first class mail. Eliminate.

(D) There is no economy of scale in electronic transmission -that is, the cost per transaction does not go down as more pieces of information are transmitted. This does not prevent subsidization of electronic transmission business by profits of first class mail. Eliminate.

(E) Electronic transmission will never be cost effective for material not sent by first-class mail such as newspapers and bulk mail. This does not prevent subsidization of electronic transmission business by profits of first class mail. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
E made me confused here.

E) Electronic transmission will never be cost effective for material not sent by first-class mail such as newspapers and bulk mail.

Now, why would the operators care about first-class mails being transmitted electronically when there is already a monopoly? Do they think that people will start sending everything electronically?

But E says that other items wont be cost effective to send eletronically so they can be quite certain that the Postal Service wont care about competing with them anyway.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Allay= Diminish or Alleviate or reduce

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Finance, Other
Send PM
My two cents on this one: The conclusion is a conditional statement - "If the Postal Service were to offer electronic transmission, it would have an unfair advantage, since its electronic transmission service could be subsidized from the profits of the monopoly".

Postal service offer ET (sufficient condition) ---> Unfair advantage (necessary condition).

Whenever there is a weaken question and a conditional conclusion, we can weaken the argument by showing that even though sufficient happens, the necessary doesn't happen. Answer choice A does the same thing by showing that even if the postal service were to offer ET, it will not have unfair advantage.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts