Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Booth-Class of 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink]
I almost agree with unhedged here on NYU's 'radio silence'
I am a R1 applicant and still waiting on results.

Usually R1 applicants are relatively strong compared with R2. So the shoo-ins in R1 have gotten their invites/admits etc. I haven't a heard boat load of rejects/wl so far.
Case 1
Now either our applications haven't been read at all (not likely) or have been read by two people and are now in line for the third reader. So yes, our applications are under technically under review. The good news one, one of us likes us ..
Case2
Maybe they wanna check out our application strengths vs R2. As mentioned earlier, R2 applications aren't as strong as R1. I don't mean essays here but just the whole deal. End of the day they don't wanna reject a decent R1 candidate just b/c he wasn't good enough in R1. They might want to check his rankings amidst R2 application pool. So in a way they get the creme-de-la creme.

But end of the day, all this could be bunch of BS... they could have made a decision, but just waiting on it ....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
 Q48  V46
Send PM
Anyone know the average length of wait for an acceptance versus a waitlist/reject? It has been 2 weeks since my interview and I really thought it went well...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:NYU, Cornell
 Q48  V42
Send PM
@ Bamo: same here...2 weeks since interview and it went well, no decision yet. They must be busy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
 Q48  V46
Send PM
Today I also received the NYU Stern's Social Enterprises Club's news letter. I had gotten in touch with the VP there and I guess she put me on the list, but why? To get my hopes up? I know the crap admissions send to us mean nothing but I really don't know what to do about this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2012
 Q48  V48
GPA: 3.74
WE 1: GM, Diversified Financial Svcs.
WE 2: Sales & Trading
Send PM
Kudos
Hey everybody, I meant to post this writeup a while ago, but completely forgot with everything going on. Hopefully those of you who have not yet interviewed will find it helpful. Good luck!

------------------------------------------
Well everyone, just got back from my NYU interview yesterday (12/7). Figured I'd give a quick breakdown of the process for those of you starting to prepare or waiting to hear back.

The interview was pretty painless, and I felt a better connection with my interviewer here than I did at Yale. I'll attribute this to my NYU interviewer being a full time admissions employee and not a second-year student, but it could also be due to personal preferences. (This is not to speak poorly of my interviewer at Yale, I simply felt a better connection with my NYU Interviewer)

Before the interview, the admissions office hands you a folder full of information based on the preferences you mentioned in your application. For example - mine had details on the finance curriculum at NYU, professor snapshots, information on some student clubs (including the partners club and golf club), etc. You also get a t-shirt. All in all, I thought it was a nice personalized touch, maybe because they choose to interview a lower percentage of applicants.

On to the interview -I was guided into an office, where there was a fresh cup of water waiting for me (another nice touch). After a minute or so of small talk, she started with questions. NYU Interviews are NOT blind, so make sure to you know your application. Here's the questions that I remember, in no particular order -

*Why did you choose [Undergrad A]?
*You have an unusual career path - how did you choose it?
*How would your coworkers describe you?
*Tell me about a work challenge and how you overcame it.
*What opportunities are you most looking forward to with an MBA? What will be your biggest challenge?
*If you get in to all the schools you applied to, how would you choose?
*Describe your idea of good leadership qualities.
*One question specific to my Essay #3 answer.
*What skills do you need to acquire to successfully move to [target industry]?
--
*Any questions for me?

That's all I can think of right now. It was overall a very pleasant experience. The questions were quick, but not aggressively so. They ended with the standard "we will have your decision in 3 to 4 weeks", but everything I've read says it takes less time than that. I guess we'll see!
UPDATE here: It took about 10 days to hear back, and it was good news :banana
------------------------------------------
Good luck to everyone. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help - would love to have some more GClubbers as fellow students next year!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Thank you, NickTW! That is a great post!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Submitted: 11/15, Interview invite: 12/11, Interview: 1/11, Status: Final Review...

3rd Week already!! Do they make students they want wait so long?? OR should I give up my hopes...?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
dannyboytw wrote:
Do they make students they want wait so long??

umm, see the posts of other R1 people still waiting.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Xerion wrote:
When I checked the interview possibilities last Friday they were only offerig offcampus interviews in India, China and London. Maybe in the next month or so they will offer more locations though

That will be all NYU offers off-campus. As mentioned upthread, the offcampus interviews involve a number of AdCom travelling to the location, so they are restricted somewhat by this format.

dannyboytw wrote:
Submitted: 11/15, Interview invite: 12/11, Interview: 1/11, Status: Final Review...

3rd Week already!! Do they make students they want wait so long?? OR should I give up my hopes...?

Sometimes they do. They don't necessarily schedule a meeting of the Admissions Committee adhoc to discuss the meeting with dannyboytw. Consider the schools with fixed deadlines - you can wait months.

Bamo wrote:
Anyone know the average length of wait for an acceptance versus a waitlist/reject? It has been 2 weeks since my interview and I really thought it went well...

The same. They are based on when the committee meets to make decisions and what is decided. Highly unlikely they defer an interviewed candidate due to uncertainty (as I always understood it).

bonobocobra wrote:
But end of the day, all this could be bunch of BS... they could have made a decision, but just waiting on it ....

It may have been decided, but not been processed yet. There are large piles of files in the system, and it takes time. I am sure all parties wish it could be quicker. The good part of the process is that I am not aware of NYU ever accidentally falsely admitting a bunch of students.
Current Student
Send PM
Got my update today. waitlisted.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
unhedged wrote:

with or without an interview?
Current Student
Send PM
niraja wrote:
unhedged wrote:

without an interview. they provided a list of ways to update the admissions committee/improve your candidacy (GMAT, update work experience, show how you fit, take extra classes), but did not offer feedback as to what you need to improve.

I'm leaning towards declining the waitlist.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
niraja wrote:
unhedged wrote:

without an interview. they provided a list of ways to update the admissions committee/improve your candidacy (GMAT, update work experience, show how you fit, take extra classes), but did not offer feedback as to what you need to improve.

that helps, thanks much. congrats on getting some info / closure from them!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Schools:Columbia(RD-ding w/o int),
 Q50  V44
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
niraja wrote:
unhedged wrote:

unhedged,
thats better than a ding. Hey, you have been admitted to ross, which is a great school! Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Yep. Ross is way better than Stern. Stern clings onto NYC location. That's about it.. In terms of ranks/reputation/alumni... Ross is way better.
Unhedged,

Sorry to hear your W/L, but I were you.. I'll take Ross anyday
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia Business School, NYU
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys, I did my interview today. My interviewer told me I'll hear back within 2-3 wks. Here are some questions that I was asked.

How will you impact the Stern community?
What skills do you need to possess for your field?
Why did you pick your college?
Career progression?
What do you like and dislike about your current job?
How will you make your decision if you get accepted into all the business schools you applied to?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. I'm not terribly upset by the waitlist, as I think I would have chosen Ross over it anyway. Good luck to everyone else waiting!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  54