Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
 Q50  V35
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V35
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gaurav05nov wrote:
bb wrote:
Your score is pretty good for the schools - very much on target. They usually do not favor higher gmat scores, so there may not be a very strong case for you to try again for some extra points. GMAT is good for 5 years, so you should be good. There is a plan to change the format of the GMAT in 2013/2014, but that should not impact you either, as both scores will be valid for a while.

Hey bb, thanks for the prompt reply. :)

Anyways as you said that my score is good for application 3 years from now.
But I have read in this forum that schools do not prefer scores older than 3yrs. What do you make of that?
Your suggestion will really help me. I dont want to apply in haste this year itself but want to gather some WE first.

Gaurav

P.S. - I will say this again - "FAST, PROMPT N APROPOS REPLIES - A TRADEMARK OF GMATCLUB !"

:) Fast and prompt replies happen when I am not sleeping or not gone on a business trip (which I am now now).
I have no experience with the 3-year rule and can't comment but I would guess it depends on the school. Officially it is 5 years.

However, let me ask you a question - let's assume that schools do prefer GMAT to be 3 years or fresher - what are you going to do about that in the next 2 years? Unless i am missing something, it is a mute point right now - it is not impacting you either way since you are not applying for a few years and I would not worry about your materials. There is a greater chance that you won't have to take the test.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
gaurav05nov wrote:
bb wrote:
Your score is pretty good for the schools - very much on target. They usually do not favor higher gmat scores, so there may not be a very strong case for you to try again for some extra points. GMAT is good for 5 years, so you should be good. There is a plan to change the format of the GMAT in 2013/2014, but that should not impact you either, as both scores will be valid for a while.

Hey bb, thanks for the prompt reply. :)

Anyways as you said that my score is good for application 3 years from now.
But I have read in this forum that schools do not prefer scores older than 3yrs. What do you make of that?
Your suggestion will really help me. I dont want to apply in haste this year itself but want to gather some WE first.

Gaurav

P.S. - I will say this again - "FAST, PROMPT N APROPOS REPLIES - A TRADEMARK OF GMATCLUB !"

I agree with bb's reply. Schools accept scores for up to 5 years. The 3-year "rule" sounds to me like internet rumor.

Best,
Linda Abraham
:) Fast and prompt replies happen when I am not sleeping or not gone on a business trip (which I am now now).
I have no experience with the 3-year rule and can't comment but I would guess it depends on the school. Officially it is 5 years.

However, let me ask you a question - let's assume that schools do prefer GMAT to be 3 years or fresher - what are you going to do about that in the next 2 years? Unless i am missing something, it is a mute point right now - it is not impacting you either way since you are not applying for a few years and I would not worry about your materials. There is a greater chance that you won't have to take the test.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V35
Send PM
Quote:
I agree with bb's reply. Schools accept scores for up to 5 years. The 3-year "rule" sounds to me like internet rumor.

Linda, Coming from an authority like you, it sounds like a valid point that the rumour is ....well a rumor only.
Now I will be able to concentrate on my job for a while :) ...I dont see any purpose in applying w/o W.E.

Quote:
what are you going to do about that in the next 2 years? Unless i am missing something, it is a mute point right now - it is not impacting you either way since you are not applying for a few years and I would not worry about your materials. There is a greater chance that you won't have to take the test.

And bb, I will working for an IT MNC and I have plans to improve my Extra Curriculars in all possible ways. So thats that.
And ya I didnt understand this -
Quote:
I would not worry about your materials.

Are you talking about my profile?

One final pesky question - Is my percentile ratio (Q 93%, V 73%) good enough for the top B-schools, as there are
lots of posts talking about balanced percentile scores(80%,80%) preferred by the best schools.

Thanks for your encouraging words. Please reply to the queries ASAP.
I will be looking forward to suggestions from you in future also. :-D
GAURAV
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V35
Send PM
bb, and Linda ..
I request you to kindly bear with me and reply the aforementioned queries... :dunnow :pray
GAURAV
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Expert Reply
gaurav05nov wrote:
Quote:

Linda, Coming from an authority like you, it sounds like a valid point that the rumour is ....well a rumor only.
Now I will be able to concentrate on my job for a while :) ...I dont see any purpose in applying w/o W.E.

Quote:
what are you going to do about that in the next 2 years? Unless i am missing something, it is a mute point right now - it is not impacting you either way since you are not applying for a few years and I would not worry about your materials. There is a greater chance that you won't have to take the test.

And bb, I will working for an IT MNC and I have plans to improve my Extra Curriculars in all possible ways. So thats that.
And ya I didnt understand this -
Quote:
I would not worry about your materials.

Are you talking about my profile?

One final pesky question - Is my percentile ratio (Q 93%, V 73%) good enough for the top B-schools, as there are
lots of posts talking about balanced percentile scores(80%,80%) preferred by the best schools.

Thanks for your encouraging words. Please reply to the queries ASAP.
I will be looking forward to suggestions from you in future also. :-D
GAURAV

Gaurav,

Your quant percentile is certainly fine. They probably would prefer a higher verbal, but if you have good essays and interviews, and other evidence of communications skills, I don't see that quant on its own as a show-stopper. Remember, that the GMAT, and the verbal score, is not looked at in a vacuum.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V35
Send PM
Thank you Linda for the encouraging reply.
Now I can look forward to the whole application process in a positive light.
:-D
By the way, I would be real nice bb could answer the queries put to him by me.
Thnx again
Manager
Manager
Status:exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
sir, i am a student planning to appear for my gmat in jan 2012 . i am expecting a score of 720 in gmat. when will i be able to apply for my mba without job experience.should i take my exam earlier than january. if so when and why? please let me know .. thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello Linda,

Sorry to reply on here ; i am seeking your advice as well but not sure if you could take a look at my post in the forum- if for some reason it didnt get through let me know so i can re post ---

Thanks a ton for your help really !
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mohan514 wrote:
sir, i am a student planning to appear for my gmat in jan 2012 . i am expecting a score of 720 in gmat. when will i be able to apply for my mba without job experience.should i take my exam earlier than january. if so when and why? please let me know .. thanks in advance

You can take the GMAT as soon as you are ready. It will be valid for 5 years. During that time, you can gain the experience that you will need to apply to the MBA programs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
GPA: 3.5
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks a lot. This post helps me a lot. I am in similar boat.
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
avenkatesh007 wrote:

It's nice to know someone is out there reading these! :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I graduated from a National Institute Of Technology. I pursued my B-TECH in Computer Science And Engineering. I was never really an exceptional student and have a CGPA of 6 on a 10 pt scale. My GMAT score is 720. I want to apply for MSC courses (Msc finance, Msc management etc). I needed help with regards to the list of colleges to which i should apply considering my CGPA is not that great. I am mostly looking for colleges in Europe.
Thanks.....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jenniferbloom wrote:
avenkatesh007 wrote:

It's nice to know someone is out there reading these! :wink:

I graduated from a National Institute Of Technology. I pursued my B-TECH in Computer Science And Engineering. I was never really an exceptional student and have a CGPA of 6 on a 10 pt scale. My GMAT score is 720. I want to apply for MSC courses (Msc finance, Msc management etc). I needed help with regards to the list of colleges to which i should apply considering my CGPA is not that great. I am mostly looking for colleges in Europe.
Thanks..... And very sorry to post this here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
Please find the snapshot of my profile and suggest what should i do.

X- 69.6
XII- 81
B.tech - 68.5
Work ex - 4.5 years in a reputed Telecom company
GMAT - 630 (Q50/V25)
I want to know whether my GMAT score and profile is sufficient for me to get admission in good US college for Management information systems(MIS) course?
OR Should i retake the exam but considering my low score i at least need 40 days for prep and thus will have no/small time for application process.

I am not sure whether this score is suffice for MIS course in a good b school along with scholarships....Please help!!
Some of the universities,which i have short listed are:-
University of Arizona- Eller
University of Cincinnati
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
Texas A & M university- Mays
SUNY

Best Regards
GMAT Club Bot