Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1088 [39]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618729 [21]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618729 [7]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and x/y has a remainder of 5, what is [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Given \(x=qy+5\), where \(q\) is a quotient, an integer \(\geq0\). Which means that the least value of \(x\) is when \(q=0\), in that case \(x=5\). This basically means that numerator \(x\), is less than denominator \(y\).

Now the smallest denominator \(y\), which is more than numerator \(x=5\) is \(6\). so we have \(x=5\) and \(y=6\) --> \(xy=30\).

How do you manage to do such things???? :shock: :roll: What is the best approach to master such things??? Please guide!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618729 [2]
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and x/y has a remainder of 5, what is [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jeeteshsingh wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Given \(x=qy+5\), where \(q\) is a quotient, an integer \(\geq0\). Which means that the least value of \(x\) is when \(q=0\), in that case \(x=5\). This basically means that numerator \(x\), is less than denominator \(y\).

Now the smallest denominator \(y\), which is more than numerator \(x=5\) is \(6\). so we have \(x=5\) and \(y=6\) --> \(xy=30\).

How do you manage to do such things???? :shock: :roll: What is the best approach to master such things??? Please guide!

What "things" exactly do you mean?

This question is about the remainders, so would suggest to review this concept in guids and/or to practice as much as possible these types of qestions (refer to the tags list by forum: REMAINDERS). Also you can check sriharimurthy's topic about the remainders at: compilation-of-tips-and-tricks-to-deal-with-remainders-86714.html

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Bunuel... am again lost here...

As said x = qy + 5...... and since \(q\geq0\)... this should be mean that X = Y + 5... then how come X can be less than Y.... we are adding 5 to Y to get X... :?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618729 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jeeteshsingh wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

As said x = qy + 5...... and since \(q\geq0\)... this should be mean that X = Y + 5... then how come X can be less than Y.... we are adding 5 to Y to get X... :?

\(x=qy+5\), not \(y+5\), and note that \(q\) can be zero. In this case \(x=0*y+5=5\), this is smallest value of \(x\).

\(\frac{5}{y}\) gives remainder 5 means \(y>x\). For EVERY \(y\) more than \(x=5\), \(\frac{5}{y}\) will give remainder of \(5\): \(\frac{5}{6}\), \(\frac{5}{7}\), \(\frac{5}{16778}\), ... all these fractions have remainder of \(5\).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
jeeteshsingh wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

\(x=qy+5\), not \(y+5\), and note that \(q\) can be zero. In this case \(x=0*y+5=5\), this is smallest value of \(x\).

Hey Bunuel....you lose me after the last part above... I still don't see how y=6. Could you explain step by step? or does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve algebra?

\(\frac{5}{y}\) gives remainder 5 means \(y>x\). For EVERY \(y\) more than \(x=5\), \(\frac{5}{y}\) will give remainder of \(5\): \(\frac{5}{6}\), \(\frac{5}{7}\), \(\frac{5}{16778}\), ... all these fractions have remainder of \(5\).

I thought \(\frac{5}{6}\), is equal to .8 with a remainder of 2?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 687 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
If x and y are positive integers and x/y has a remainder of 5, what is the smallest possible value of xy?

y>5 and smallest number greater than 5 is 6.

x=y(quotient)+reminder = 6(quotient)+5
to get smallest number, substitute 0
=>x=6(0)+5=5

and xy=5x6=30
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT Date: 05-26-2012
GPA: 3.2
WE:Supply Chain Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Can someone help me understand this?

The question is if x and y are positive integers and x/y has a remainder of 5, what is the smallest possible of xy?

The answer is 5*6 = 30

I came up with 66 because I understand that y has to be at least 6 and with that I would think that y has to be 11 which is how I derived 66. The answer says that the smallest y is 5 but I don't understand how that is possible.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
GmatSlayer112 wrote:

The question is if x and y are positive integers and x/y has a remainder of 5, what is the smallest possible of xy?

The answer is 5*6 = 30

I came up with 66 because I understand that y has to be at least 6 and with that I would think that y has to be 11 which is how I derived 66. The answer says that the smallest y is 5 but I don't understand how that is possible.

if y is 5, then 5/6 = 0 r 5 -- that is, there are NO complete sixes in the number five, so all five are left over in the remainder!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
GmatSlayer112 wrote:

The answer is 5*6 = 30

When dividing a positive integer \(x\) by another positive integer \(y\), we get a unique non-negative integer quotient \(q\) and a unique remainder \(r\), where \(r\) is an integer such that \(0\leq{r}<y\). When \(r = 0\), we say that \(x\) is divisible by \(y\), that \(y\) is a factor of \(x\), or that \(x\) is a multiple of \(y\). In this case, \(x\) can be evenly divided by \(y\).

In our case, we can write \(x = q*y + 5\), and as the remainder is always smaller than the divisor, we can deduce that \(y\) should be at least 6. The minimum quotient \(q\) is 0 which gives \(x = 5\). Therefore, the smallest possible value of \(xy\) is \(5 * 6 =30\).
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64892 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
If x and y are positive integers and x/y has a remainder of 5, what is [#permalink]
Kudos