Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler 2010 applicants [#permalink]
Duke vs UNC Full scholarship; I'd choose UNC w full $$$.

There isn't any 'significant' advantage that Duke has over UNC that I'd let go of a full scholarship.
But if I were, I'll spend 2 days at Duke and 2 days at UNC and fully immerse myself to make the final call.
Another important aspect I like about UNC is, the growth rate/value propositio of UNC's MBA program is higher than most other schools. UNC is doing a way way awesome job of increasing its reputation/ranking etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Job Acquirement
Schools:Duke Class of 2012
Send PM
I think it matters also what type of $$ they're giving you. A few points:

-if the dollars are part of a fellowship of some sort (Falls?, premier?) then that's a huge step up when speaking with recruiters. You'd get your name in some fancy fellows-only resume book and alums would take notice of that.

-even if the dollars aren't attached to some fellowship, it still speaks highly of you to future employers that UNC would give you that type of cash

-Grad school, and Duke in particular, are not cheap. Your ROI from UNC will be much higher initially, considering your costs will be incidental compared to tuition at Duke. You must obviously weigh this against the expected higher income from a Duke MBA (otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation), but I don't believe the differential would be high enough to justify choosing Duke - the qualitative difference is not the same as UNC with $$$ and say, H/S/W.

-with the $$ you'll be saving, you can take part in a ton more extras, like every int'l trip, career trek, etc.

--------
Other things to consider: if you've visited the Duke campus, you know that the school's facilities are brand new and fantastic. That said, do you remember which bar(s) or night scene everyone goes to? Yeah, me neither. They're pretty much out in the middle of the woods and Fuqua Friday's is pretty much the consolidated night scene. KFBS, on the other hand, has free buses to Franklin Street and Chapel Hill's great nightlife.

Durham, though, does have Durham Bulls ball park, Ninth street, and is a lot closer to Raleigh's nightlife.

Seriously, you're not going to go wrong either way. But I do encourage what BB said: spend some time at both schools during admit weekend (they're not the same weekend, right?) and get as much a sense as you can about the culture of both places. What place just feels right to you?

Congrats on having to make this decision - let us know how it turns out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks. I am definitely leaning towards taking UNC's offer for two reasons: the money is a stand alone big deal for me and, as you highlighted, I think the resources/flexibility available to fellows are significant in terms of finding jobs. I'm also impressed with Kenan-Flagler's alumni base (Julian Robertson, Lee Ainslee, Dwight Anderson, etc.) when it comes down to what I want to do. I'm also a believer, rightly or wrongly, that long-term success has little to do with what school you come from. The Duke vs UNC name will likely give me a leg up for the first five years, but ultimately my success will be determined by my production. And as you mentioned a merit based fellowship will help compensate for coming from a lower ranked school for the first few years out of school.

Bonobocobra, specifically what in your opinion is UNC doing to improve its ranking and reputation? I know they have some programs (e.g. AIM, Leadership Initiative) that are fairly new and innovative, but am wondering how you came to that conclusion.

The admitted student weekends are different. As per my correspondence with UNC I don't think they've chosen the Premier fellows yet. Dont' quote me on this, but they've chosen full-tuition recipients (I'm not sure if they have more to hand out in the third round) and will be naming Premier fellows out of this bunch later this or next month. The Falls Prize winners are eventually chosen out of the Premier Fellow receipeints, maybe in March, April.

Thanks again for the input.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Mortgage
Send PM
T-minus one week for R2 decisions...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
You can add me to RD2 (2/8 decision). The wait is killing me!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I also applied Rd2.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Did anyone else receive this email yesterday?

"Thank you for your interest in UNC's Kenan-Flagler Business School. We have received all of your application documents to our full time MBA Program. Your application is now ready to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee with deadline 3."

My application has been complete for weeks, I wonder if that means that they're starting to review R3 submissions now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UNC (R1), NCSU (R2), Duke (R2)
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: IT systems management
WE 2: telecom
Send PM
ariel wrote:
Did anyone else receive this email yesterday?

"Thank you for your interest in UNC's Kenan-Flagler Business School. We have received all of your application documents to our full time MBA Program. Your application is now ready to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee with deadline 3."

My application has been complete for weeks, I wonder if that means that they're starting to review R3 submissions now.

I have applied in R1, Dec 4th deadline and still did not receive this email. The only communication I got was this one:
We have received an unofficial credential (transcript or GMATand/or TOEFL score) for your file. Your file will be evaluated with the unofficial copy of these documents. If you are admitted then you will be required to provide us with the official document before we can accept your enrollment deposit.
I call them and asked about my status, he said that the email above means that my application is complete and it will be reviewed by adcom. Needless to say, it is very frustrating process for me and you should consider yourself lucky that you have received such notification which means that they were able to match your paper transcripts with your file. Good luck!
Feb 8 can't come fast enough for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GRE 1: Q46 V37
GPA: 3.14
WE:Architecture (Other)
Send PM
For any real estate kids out there like me...

Were you all invited to a UNC Real Estate reception? I received this letter:

"Happy New Year from Chapel Hill! We’re holding our annual Washington area alumni/prospective student reception on Thursday, January 28, 2010 at the City Club in the award-winning Columbia Square project which is at 555 13th Street, NW from 7 – 9 PM.

I hope that you can join me and our current students, who are doing their career trek in DC on Friday, January 29."

It was a strange event as all the current students were networking for jobs, not to mention there were only two of us who were perspective students! From the earlier perspective student session for all applicants, I know there were several people interested in real estate who weren't there. Did others have a similar experience? I'm surprised there were so few prospective students - it was free beer for two hours!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Michigan 2012
Send PM
drew031482 wrote:
For any real estate kids out there like me...

Were you all invited to a UNC Real Estate reception? I received this letter:

"Happy New Year from Chapel Hill! We’re holding our annual Washington area alumni/prospective student reception on Thursday, January 28, 2010 at the City Club in the award-winning Columbia Square project which is at 555 13th Street, NW from 7 – 9 PM.

I hope that you can join me and our current students, who are doing their career trek in DC on Friday, January 29."

It was a strange event as all the current students were networking for jobs, not to mention there were only two of us who were perspective students! From the earlier perspective student session for all applicants, I know there were several people interested in real estate who weren't there. Did others have a similar experience? I'm surprised there were so few prospective students - it was free beer for two hours!

I didn't attend that, but I went to a Darden event in NYC that had a similar vibe. Not that I necessarily blame them, but all the current students were looking for jobs and not interested in talking to prospective students.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q42  V42
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Public Accounting - 2 yrs
WE 2: PE Fund Accounting - 3 yrs
Send PM
Maybe this question has already come up, but I'm too lazy to go digging back through the thread. Does UNC call the day prior to deadline or do they just send out emails the day of?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think it's gonna be on that Super Monday unless you receive full $$$ or fellowship.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:UNC (R1), NCSU (R2), Duke (R2)
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: IT systems management
WE 2: telecom
Send PM
We're a little exhausted from reading, but Round 2 admissions decisions are finally done. Decision letters and emails going out on Monday <-- this is UNC adcom tweet.

Aaa, my fate has been decided already, only I have to wait in agony for 3-4 more days! What do you think about admission percentage for R1 this year? It has been around 30-35% in the past.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V41
Send PM
oh boy, here comes the painful weekend!

besties to all!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good luck everyone, I think this weekend calls for a lot of booze to take the edge off. I've heard 10am for the decision release, anyone confirm? Fingers crossed for Monday.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Consulting?
Schools:UNC
 Q48  V42
Send PM
TheQC wrote:
Good luck everyone, I think this weekend calls for a lot of booze to take the edge off. I've heard 10am for the decision release, anyone confirm? Fingers crossed for Monday.

For EA, yes. I checked my app promptly at 10am EST, and saw my decision. I didn't get the email until a few minutes later.

Good luck to everyone!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Did anyone call UNC Admissions Office today to hear an early decision ?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  19